Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Incidentally, the Private Relay feature of Monterey is turning out to be a huge benefit!

Every year I lose direct access to TonyMacx86 for a couple of months, which forces me to use a VPN service (NordVPN in my case). I'm going through that period right now. With Catalina and Big Sur it's necessary to enable VPN.

However, with Private Relay Apple scrambles our IP address, which enables direct access to TonyMac once again. This is in fact being posted from Monterey thanks to Private Relay.

Sounds like a Bluetooth problem. Which WiFi/BT card are you using? To disable just the Bluetooth, we can simply pull out the Bluetooth USB cable from the internal USB 2.0 header.
I'm using the card that came with my system.

I'm using the card that came with my system.
I uploaded a new OpenIntelWireless EFI about an hour ago that disables Intel Bluetooth from Monterey. Some new caveats were added to the mini-guide:

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 5.54.00 PM.png

However, please try version 1.1.3 from here:

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 5.55.27 PM.png

It's getting a bit late here, so I'll test Intel Bluetooth 1.1.3 tomorrow on both Big Sur and Monterey. If it works, I'll replace those EFI files again!

Last edited:
Intel Bluetooth will cause boot failure in Monterey. I uploaded a new OpenIntelWireless EFI about an hour ago that disables Intel Bluetooth from Monterey. Some new caveats were added to the mini-guide:

View attachment 523813
Really? Now that is interesting because I'd somehow managed to install and even run Monterey without realising this was an issue. Then I somehow lost that build (used the drive on another test setup), hence I cannot boot back into the OS.

Really? Now that is interesting because I'd somehow managed to install and even run Monterey without realising this was an issue. Then I somehow lost that build (used the drive on another test setup), hence I cannot boot back into the OS.
Intel Bluetooth 2.0.0-alpha causes problems in Monterey, but version 1.1.3 may work. If you refresh this web page on your browser, you'll see I modified my previous post.

It's getting a bit late here, so I'll test Intel Bluetooth 1.1.3 tomorrow on both Big Sur and Monterey. If it works, I'll replace those EFI files again!
Just tried IntelBluetoothFirmware 1.1.3 but it also fails with Monterey. The boot process stalls with AppleKeyStore messages. If you wait long enough (until a proton decays) the system might boot. So it's best to disable Intel Bluetooth.

The best option right now is Broadcom 94360. Fenvi FV-T919 or one of its cousins.

Out of curiosity, what does SSDT-DMAC enable for us?

thanks!
It creates a generic Direct Memory Access Controller (DMAC) device that is present in all recent real Macs. Many desktop PC motherboards do not define a DMAC device in DSDT, but HEDT motherboards such as X99 and X299 do. When DMAC is defined by the DSDT itself, we believe it allows full enablement of AppleVTD with any amount of memory. There’s a long discussion of AppleVTD in the Designare Z390 thread. Real Macs also have AppleVTD enabled, which is necessary for some Thunderbolt devices such in Big Sur and Monterey (e.g. Antelope Audio interfaces and Apole TB-to-GbE adapter).

It creates a generic Direct Memory Access Controller (DMAC) device that is present in all recent real Macs. Many desktop PC motherboards do not define a DMAC device in DSDT, but HEDT motherboards such as X99 and X299 do. When DMAC is defined by the DSDT itself, we believe it allows full enablement of AppleVTD with any amount of memory. There’s a long discussion of AppleVTD in the Designare Z390 thread. Real Macs also have AppleVTD enabled, which is necessary for some Thunderbolt devices such in Big Sur and Monterey (e.g. Antelope Audio interfaces and Apole TB-to-GbE adapter).
Oh wow! I fell off the antelope discussion a while ago and didn’t realize progress had been made there! (To the Z390 discussion I go!)

Home work done :)
To sum up:
- OC 0.71 BS 11.5 working perfectly fine on both EFI with/without intel wifi. (Not a surprise !)
- Monterey installed successfully with EFI 0.71 without Intel wifi (not an issue as I use Ethernet connection)

The main issue I face and so far can't solve out:
I run BS with 2 monitors connected through Display Ports and SwitchResX to change resolution and refresh rate.
With Monterey (fresh install nothing added yet) I cannot get the 2 working displays. I need to have one with DP and the other with HDMI.
Any idea about what could be wrong?

EDIT 2 hours later... update !
I was finally able to boot from EFI with intel WIFI on my existing Monterey installed as above.
Bluetooth is not working as explained by Casey but my wifi does not work too.
But I now get dual display with DP on both screens. Very strange indeed.
However the boot is much much longer than with the EFI without intel wifi.

I am not expert enough to really understand what's happening...

Last edited:
Back