Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi all,

I have just noticed while investigating another problem that not all of the kexts in my Big Sur 11.4 kexts folder are loading.

I have the following kexts in the kexts folder,

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 22.21.02.png

But only the following seem to be loading.

Hackintool
Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 10.54.08.png

HackinDROM
Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 22.28.43.png

I am investigating why CommanderProFix.kext isn't loading and discover that several other kexts do not appear to be loading either.

Hackintool reports one set of kexts loading while HackinDROM reports a slightly different set.

Could someone explain why this might be?

Also, please advise which SMBIOS I should be using for Big Sur? I am on SMBIOS 19,1 at the moment?

Thanks

I too am using CommanderProFix.kext. The indication that the kext is loaded is there is no UPS icon up in the menu nor under Energy Saver Preferences.

Some more comments:
  • We should stay with BIOS F5 for the time being.
  • When you configure BIOS, do you start with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults)?
  • Have you tried disconnecting components such as WiFi/BT card to see whether that makes a difference in Windows or macOS?
  • What components are connected to the internal USB 2.0 headers?
I think I narrowed it down to the Syba 10gbe NIC (despite it working just fine the first couple of months after I installed it). I believe when I installed it, I was on F7c, then when the problem started, I tried F20, then F5, and now I'm back to F20. I also had no success even after disabling both on-board NICs in the BIOS (like it says to do in the manual). I guess it'll just have to remain uninstalled until I have more time to troubleshoot or I'll sell it and try another card.

Now I just have to fix why I can't boot Windows from OC anymore.

I looked at your EFI folder. It seems you used the folder for Vision D and made some changes. It's better to use the OpenCore 0.6.9 folder for Vision G (attached).

I've already transferred your PlatformInfo credentials into config.plist. You may simply rename the folder to EFI and copy it to the EFI partition of your USB install drive. Then see if the macOS installer starts up.
Hi @CaseySJ ,

Thanks for the folder. I thought I had followed your guide exactly but maybe I got it wrong.

I tried using this folder and was still stuck at the Apple Logo again, but I did finally get the installer to work by checking the
CFG unlock options in kernel quirks. Seems CFG lock was still enabled somehow?

Now Catalina is installed and I have transferred the EFI folder contents to the EFI folder on my SSD. The issue I am having now is that the open core boot picker won't show up unless I have the USB installer inserted. Otherwise it just boots into BIOS.

Hello Casey ! Hello everyone !
Thanks for this very useful thread.
I'm very happy with this hackintosh (Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - i7-10700K - Gigabyte RX 580 - 64GB RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX - SSD Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2). It's working like a charm. But I need 10Gb Ethernet and can not figure out what could be the right choice.
Has someone experienced a working 10Gb network with an affordable PCI card ?
Thanks in advance !!

PS : I'm on Catalina for now, and I would stay there if Big Sur would jeopardise the chances to make it work...

Last edited:
@CaseySJ
Just for your info, @Krapomatic was totally newbee on hackintosh.
Thanks to whatsApp and your tuto it took us less than 45 minutes to install Catalina on his machine, from the bios setup to the Catalina welcome screen.
A true performance to highlight how your guide is really perfectly built up :)

Hello Casey ! Hello everyone !
Thanks for this very useful thread.
I'm very happy with this hackintosh (Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - i7-10700K - Gigabyte RX 580 - 64GB RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX - SSD Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2). It's working like a charm. But I need 10Gb Ethernet and can not figure out what could be the right choice.
Has someone experienced a working 10Gb network with an affordable PCI card ?
Thanks in advance !!

PS : I'm on Catalina for now, and I would stay there if Big Sur would jeopardise the chances to make it work...
Hello @Krapomatic,

Nice name! Here are a couple of choices:
In some cases it may be necessary to enable the Aquantia kernel patch, but first try without the patch enabled.
Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 9.30.45 AM.png

Anyone have an idea why I can't boot into OpenCore from my SSD? I can only get to the picker if I still have my Catalina USB installer inserted. I mounted the EFI on my SSD and transferred the EFI from the USB into this folder.

I too am using CommanderProFix.kext. The indication that the kext is loaded is there is no UPS icon up in the menu nor under Energy Saver Preferences.
I’m still getting the UPS error and so the CommanderProFix.kext is not loading hence my request for help.

Back