Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi again, my Z490 Vision G install is finally booting on it's own without the USB. (my error)
I am still having two small issues, Bluetooth and Ethernet. I have the Fenvi T919 card and wifi is working great, but when I go to bluetooth preferences it won't show any of my nearby devices.
Ethernet shows that a cable isn't connected in network prefs, but it is. System profile shows no network card.
My EFI is attached.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 60
Hi @CaseySJ, Friends... everything is fine with my setup... but my mind is sleeping, so let me ask this silly question:

Am on Catalina 10.15.7 since I built my hackintosh - can I apply security update from apple or not (there is a security update for 10.15.7 and keeps asking me to update'? If not, is that 'No' answer applies to all security related updates from apple. Does that window and selection looks right to you (see attached), those 2 unchecked shall remain unchecked? or let me know the preferred way.

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 2.52.22 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi again, my Z490 Vision G install is finally booting on it's own without the USB. (my error)
I am still having two small issues, Bluetooth and Ethernet. I have the Fenvi T919 card and wifi is working great, but when I go to bluetooth preferences it won't show any of my nearby devices.
Ethernet shows that a cable isn't connected in network prefs, but it is. System profile shows no network card.
My EFI is attached.
Please try the attached EFI.

Attachments

• EFI-Arron.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 62
Here are the outputs you requested.

I have also removed RestrictEvents.kext which wasn't loading anyway.
Very good. Need one more screenshot as described here:

Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 15.34.20.png

Hi @CaseySJ, Friends... everything is fine with my setup... but my mind is sleeping, so let me ask this silly question:

Am on Catalina 10.15.7 since I built my hackintosh - can I apply security update from apple or not (there is a security update for 10.15.7 and keeps asking me to update'? If not, is that 'No' answer applies to all security related updates from apple. Does that window and selection looks right to you (see attached), those 2 unchecked shall remain unchecked? or let me know the preferred way.

View attachment 520646
Hello @hackerno1,

I always recommend installing the latest Apple security updates! But we should also make a full bootable backup before applying any macOS update. On a Hackintosh, anything that can possibly go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible moment.

Hello @hackerno1,

I always recommend installing the latest Apple security updates! But we should also make a full bootable backup before applying any macOS update. On a Hackintosh, anything that can possibly go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible moment.

So you are saying:

For 'Install MAC OS updates' - careful, have bootable usb ready/updated before applying any OS update
For 'Install system data files and security updates' - it is ok to apply it, when update is available

So you are saying:

For 'Install MAC OS updates' - careful, have bootable usb ready/updated before applying any OS update
For 'Install system data files and security updates' - it is ok to apply it, when update is available
In both cases we should always make a full bootable back first. Not a USB boot disk, but a full system backup as described in Step 13 of Post 1.

Please try the attached EFI.
Hi @CaseySJ thanks for the EFI to try. Same result with that one, no Ethernet.
Looking around here and elsewhere, it seems that problems with the i225-V Ethernet on this board are common.
I've heard mention of a "kernel patch" that fixes the issue instead of the included kexts, but can't find any more details.

** Speed Tests and Observations with New OpenIntelWireless 2.0.0-alpha Drivers **
Finally we have 192 Mbps/201 Mbps!! Much faster than Fenvi FV-T919
802.11ac works, but I don't have 802.11ax so cannot test
See below (may need to disable 2.4 GHz SSID on some routers)

OpenIntelWireless 2.0.0-alpha drivers were released earlier this morning. They (finally) support both WiFi 5 (802.11ac) and WiFi 6 (802.11ax), but they may not support all frequency bands at this time.

Here are some observations from the Z490 Vision D with 2.0.0-alpha drivers on Big Sur 11.3 public beta 8.
  • My Internet download speed is 200 Mbps on cable.
  • My Internet upload speed is 6 Mbps.
OpenIntelWireless 2.0.0-alpha:
  • CHT Global
  • Razzolink
  • OpenIntelWireless driver was only able to connect to 2.4 GHz band on my 802.11ac router
  • The driver worked properly after wake-from-sleep!
  • Basic Handoff is supported as shown (Stocks and Safari from my iPhone were handed off to the Mac). AirDrop did not work.
  • The speeds below are on the 802.11n network (WiFi 4).
  • After disabling 2.4 GHz SSIDs on the router, OpenIntelWireless finally connected to the 802.11ac 5 GHz band and the results are amazing!
    • CHT Global
    • Razzolink
  • Finally we have 192 Mbps and 201 Mbps!! Much faster than Fenvi FV-T919. Virtually the same as Wired Ethernet!
  • On the Netgear Orbi Mesh router, we disable the 2.4 GHz SSID as follows:

Fenvi FV-T919:
  • CHT Global
  • Razzolink
  • Fenvi was connected to 5 GHz band on the same 802.11ac router
Wired Ethernet (1 Gbps):
  • Razzolink
  • KamaTera

If you are already using the OpenIntelWireless EFI from this post, it is very easy to use the new 2.0.0-alpha drivers as follows:
  • Download the Big Sur and Catalina versions from here.​
View attachment 515761View attachment 515762
  • Download both the Big Sur and Catalina kexts.
    • Big Sur version will be inside a folder called Big Sur
    • Catalina version will be inside a folder called Catalina
    • Filename in both folders will be the same: AirportItlwm.kext
  • In each of these folders, rename AirportItlwm.kext as follows:
    • AirportItlwm-Catalina.kext
    • AirportItlwm-Big-Sur.kext
  • Mount EFI partition of macOS SSD and open the EFI/OC/Kexts folder.
  • Drag-and-drop the two files above into the EFI/OC/Kexts folder.
  • No changes are needed in config.plist
  • Reboot
Hello Casey,
Thank you for your work !
I have the same hardware and config as you and trying to use intel Wifi. But have continuously connection drop, both with kexts ver. 1.3 and 2.0
Could you take a look on my config (attached), may be I missed something ? Or it is an issue with driver ?
Regards, Kirill

Attachments

• config.plist
    32.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ thanks for the EFI to try. Same result with that one, no Ethernet.
Looking around here and elsewhere, it seems that problems with the i225-V Ethernet on this board are common.
I've heard mention of a "kernel patch" that fixes the issue instead of the included kexts, but can't find any more details.
There aren’t any prevalent problems with the i225-V. When you say it doesn’t work, what is the evidence or symptom? For example, please post a screenshot of “System Information —> Ethernet”. Also confirm that the Ethernet port is enabled in BIOS.

Back