Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

In my country 0 stock of Vision D, are there big difference between Vision G? i am not really worried about any thunderbold device, but unfortunatelly i am new in this tech and for me will be easier to follow straight forward guide (I mean for Vision-D)

I ended up using a Vision G + GC-Titan-Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card because I needed 2 DisplayPort inputs to drive a 5K monitor. Works perfectly, including USB support, and Thunderbolt 2 (with an Apple adapter) via the Thunderbolt 3 card. I had to create a modified SSDT though.

Good set of components. I would only caution against Corsair H150i Pro RGB because it may cause sleep problems unless the USB port is deactivated in a USB port map. Might be good to search this site to see if this AIO cooler is okay to use.

Regarding dual boot, there's nothing special needed in the OpenCore setup. Windows is installed independently of OpenCore. We use Microsoft Media Creation Tool to build a USB install disk for Windows 10, which handles the complete task. We should do this before install macOS.

OpenCore is first and foremost used to boot macOS. It will auto-detect and let you boot Windows as well. So nothing has to be done other than configuring it for macOS.

After I've installed W10 should I disconnect related M.2 SSD and reconnect after macOS installation or can I let it stay connected?

After I've installed W10 should I disconnect related M.2 SSD and reconnect after macOS installation or can I let it stay connected?
After Windows is installed, the Windows M.2 can remain installed. MacOS will have no trouble with that.

My system is doing a cold double boot after every shutdown now. Thank god it's still booting... I'll keep you updated but won't try anything for now. Let's see what Gigabyte will reply.
Thanks, I am waiting for Gigabyte's reply too

Hi @inapis.crazy,

My reply comes a bit late, sorry for that. I have exactly the same power supply as you (same year, same power, same name...). I would still plug this additional 4-pin CPU connector to the motherboard, if I were you, since it appears to be highly recommended in the manual (even though you don't do any OC). But the good news is that there is absolutely no problem with it!... because your awesome power supply is modular! :) All you need is another Corsair 8-pin CPU connector (they don't provide any 4-pin version as far as I know). This one fits anyway because it's simply a doubled 4-pin connector: you just need to plug one half of it to your motherboard. Of course, on your power supply side, this additional connector would take the place of a PCI Express connector (which uses the same input), but there is still of course one PCI Express input available along with these two 8-pin CPU connectors. Knowing that one PCI Express connector (on power supply side) can actually offer two different supplies (on motherboard side), then don't worry... unless you want to build a three graphic cards configuration (as far as I know... graphic cards are the only type of PCI-E cards which needs this additional supply), your power supply is definitely safe with this build. Corsair sells this connector around 20 dollars, which is kinda expensive, but you can find some on ebay for around 5 dollars.

Maybe just a last thing, in case you don't know. Your 8-pin connector is probably a Type-4 version like mine. The ones that are currently sold are of Type-5. But precisely regarding the CPU 8-Pin connector, the version change has no influence: backwards compatibility from T-5 to T-4 is ensured (Corsair mentioned it on its website)

Hope this helps...

P.S. Very special thanks @CaseySJ for this great guide. I don't think that one can reasonably expect more than what you just offered us. This was convincing enough to take the plunge and upgrade my 5 years old hackintosh. :clap:

Excellent information, maeluse! Much thanks! Unfortunately I cannot get those corsair cables in my country and will have to wait till international shipping opens. I can get no-name brand 4-pin cables but all of those are 18awg (as said in specs) but I really do not want to risk a fire in my case. I am running two GFXs so I cannot even reuse the PCIe cables. I do have one 6-pin connector free on the RX580 but I am not sure if putting the GPU and CPU on the same cable is a good idea.

I need some help. Does the i7-10700k run extremely hot? If I let it run at 4700GHz the temp in bios is 38°C. If I enable enhanced core it boots as 5100GHz but the temp is 55°C. I have the temp warning in bios set at 80 degrees. When booting into Catalina, the computer keeps sounding the temperature warning for 80°. Once it is past the login-screen it continues to sound the alarm until everthing loads. If I render in Premiere Pro, it constantly sounds the alarm. My cooling is a Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler. Gigabyte Vision D. i7-10700k. The i9-9000kf never ran that hot. I checked to see if the heat sink is properly seated and if the thermal paste is distributed properly. All seems ok.

Many Z490 boards are pushing extra current/voltage/heat to the processors. GamersNexus did a test on this and ASRock and Gigabyte are one of the worst offenders.

You will have to probably undervolt and tweak with the settings to get acceptable heat levels

In my country 0 stock of Vision D, are there big difference between Vision G? i am not really worried about any thunderbold device, but unfortunatelly i am new in this tech and for me will be easier to follow straight forward guide (I mean for Vision-D)

Here's the differences according to me b/w Vision D and G -

1. Vision D get you Thunderbolt out of the box, G does not but G does have the ability to add in a card later.
2. Dual LAN on Vision D and Single 2.5G LAN on G but the 2.5G version of Intel LAN has some issues which cannot be fixed with software. Unsure if Gigabyte shipped the updated versions or the older versions. So you might have to manually set the 2.5G LAN to 1G for stability.
3. WiFi on D and not on G
4. Both are very limited overclockers (according to YouTube reviews), Vision G has slightly more headroom for overclocking (especially memory overclocking) - In my opinion, both Vision G & D were absolutely not created by gigabyte for overclocking.
5. Vision D has Q-code (very useful for debugging issues) and also has themistor cables in box
6. Vision G has display port out while Vision D has DP out over USB C, so you'll need an adapter. None of it is necessary if you are not running 4K@60 since then you can use the HDMI port on both boards but HDMI is limited to 4K@30. HDMI also probably doesn't work in macOS
7. Drive situation is where Vision G wins. You can use both M.2 PCIe slots and still use all 6 SATA ports. You loose one port if you plug in one M.2 SATA SSD. With Vision D you loose up to 3 SATA ports if you use 2 of the 3 M.2 Slots regardless of your SSD being SATA or PCIe.

One more reason to go with the Vision D & G are that they are one of the few boards which are allowing dual graphics cards at atleast x8 each. Especially at the price point of Vision G. Most other boards are only allowing x16 and x4 from the chipset which is undesirable if you are going for a multi-purpose system (like me, who will also plugin a Nvidia card for Gaming in Windows and Deep Learning experiments in Linux). So people, read the manual of the board you are buying. Vendors are not listing this gotcha on the specs!

I need some help. Does the i7-10700k run extremely hot? If I let it run at 4700GHz the temp in bios is 38°C. If I enable enhanced core it boots as 5100GHz but the temp is 55°C. I have the temp warning in bios set at 80 degrees. When booting into Catalina, the computer keeps sounding the temperature warning for 80°. Once it is past the login-screen it continues to sound the alarm until everthing loads. If I render in Premiere Pro, it constantly sounds the alarm. My cooling is a Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler. Gigabyte Vision D. i7-10700k. The i9-9000kf never ran that hot. I checked to see if the heat sink is properly seated and if the thermal paste is distributed properly. All seems ok.
It's very strange, because my 10700K on stock clocks with Kraken M22 (120mm liquid cooler!) runs on ~60-75° all time and about 35-38° in idle (now is 38°, but in my room 30° now... summer). In stress test it can run to 95° but in games and work no more than 80°. With "advanced" profile (first string in "tweaks" page in BIOS) in stress test temp can be 99° for 1-2 cores, but now I'm using only "default", I need to upgrade my cooler to use overclocking features.

Check your cooling system: pump speed, fans speed etc.

4. Both are very limited overclockers (according to youtube reviews), Vision G has slightly more headroom for overclocking (especially memory overclocking) - In my opinion, both Vision G & D were absolutely not created by gigabyte for overclocking.
All I saw on YouTube was reviews like this: the guy looks at the disconnected motherboard and thoughtfully gives out "this board for content creators, not for gamers, so it’s not suitable for overclocking." Bro, have you tried turning it on?!

Now I'm researching for REAL overclocking tests...

Back