- Sep 25, 2018
- Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
- RX 5700 XT
- Mobile Phone
Okay, I thought you still had your Catalina disk from Z370 that you could insert into Z390 -- or even leave it in Z370.
Another option is to install VMware Fusion on Z390 Big Sur. There is a 30-day free trial. Then install Catalina in a VMWare virtual machine.
VMware Fusion Player for non-commercial home use is free.
View attachment 509497
Thanks @CaseySJ .
I have VMWare fusion (and Parallel Desktop too) installed on my Z490 and it works fine too.
But I think you missed my point (I easily forgive you, looking at the number of topics you provide assistance and your level of dedication of this forum ).
So back to my initial question now posted last Sunday:
Ha, just yesterday I posted this in the Z390 Designare thread:
View attachment 509186
So let me restructure the post to make it easier to read:
Original system: Gigabyte Z370
Successfully running High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur
Samsung EVO 970 NVMe
New system: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Started 4 months ago directly with Big Sur and OpenCore
Transplanted existing SSDs from Z370 to new Z490
Everything was okay
Then recently on Z490 Vision D:
Installed fresh copy of Catalina on Samsung EVO 970 NVMe SSD
Facing kernel panics on Catalina
Installed Catalina on another SSD, but still facing kernel panics
Please confirm if the above statements are correct. If so, then:
Which version of OpenCore are you using with Catalina?
Which third party applications have been installed in the Catalina system?
Are you using the OpenCore EFI folder from one of the mini-guides in this thread?
And of course the main event: Describe the kernel panics.
When do they occur? When running Safari? When running Chrome? When watching a video? When running any particular application?
Do they occur when the computer is sitting idle?
Do they occur consistently or randomly?
Do they occur when Catalina is booting up?
Do you have a screen capture of the kernel panic?
- All above statements are correct
- OC 0.66 following your EFI and upgrade process since the beginning
- No other third part apps except Firefox. The purpose on this install is to run Photo apps on V 5.0 for a customer. My BS OS would upgrade his library and this is obviously not suitable.
- The KP happens really at random, initially sometimes even as early as during the the install process.
- When install is fine, the boot is always normal but then KP can happen when Photo is running and going into the "curating best photos" process
- The KP can happen even if I don't interfere with the machine, just looking at the progress of the job
- I don't have screen capture but, looking at the log, it seems that the main issues (at random) are linked to mds and mdworker.
Once again, thanks for your time...
The question is: "Should I change this Samsung Nvme and replace it with another brand? In Cambodia Addalink is available, almost 50% cheaper, and all reviews are good.
This could be the solution, IF no other issues induce these KP, but I don't have any idea about this point.
Once again thanks, really thanks, for all the time you spend with us !