Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ, I have been reading through the Z490 thread to learn what might be applicable to my NUC 10 Comet Lake box in getting it optimized. One thing I noticed was an incompatibility with the former way we used to unlock the config lock on the the Z390 Designare. The NUC 10 was also incompatible with this procedure. The following was recommended to me and it works great on the NUC 10. The efi application called CFGLock.efi (attached) simply run this under the EFI shell and it identifies the proper register and gives you the option to lock or unlock the config lock. Take a look and hopefully this helps provide a simpler method that works consistently (of course if this is already unlocked in the uEFI firmware like it is now in the Z390 firmware all the better!!)
The post you quoted above already uses “CFGLock.efi” and so does Step 7 in Post 1. So “been there, done that”. :)

In BIOS, is “Initial Display Output” set to “PCIe 1 Slot”?

I tried both;

- if set to "PCIe 1 Slot" with a discrete card in I don't get into BIOS at all regardless of what cables and connections I use - so basically can't boot up; it looks like somehow the MB doesnt instruct the discrete GPU to kick in. I also tried the PCIe 2nd slot... that didn't work either. I can't try bottom one as all my cards are dual slot wide.

- if set to "IGFX" I do get to see the BIOS and OC IF I connect a monitor to iGPU - say, via HDMI - which makes sense since that is what I told BIOS to use; once I go post OC, OSX loads up via the DP cable connected to RX580.

The post you quoted above already uses “CFGLock.efi” and so does Step 7 in Post 1. So “been there, done that”. :)
Yeah I just found that... my bad..

I tried both;

- if set to "PCIe 1 Slot" with a discrete card in I don't get into BIOS at all regardless of what cables and connections I use - so basically can't boot up; it looks like somehow the MB doesnt instruct the discrete GPU to kick in. I also tried the PCIe 2nd slot... that didn't work either. I can't try bottom one as all my cards are dual slot wide.

- if set to "IGFX" I do get to see the BIOS and OC IF I connect a monitor to iGPU - say, via HDMI - which makes sense since that is what I told BIOS to use; once I go post OC, OSX loads up via the DP cable connected to RX580.
Very strange:
  • If Initial Display Output is set to PCIe 1 (or 2) and the video cable is also connected to AMD GPU, you should see BIOS and OpenCore output through the AMD GPU.
  • Are you running BIOS version F3?
  • I assume the AMD GPU has the 6-pin and/or 8-pin power connector(s) attached.
  • I also assume the Nvidia card is physically removed.

Very strange:
  • If Initial Display Output is set to PCIe 1 (or 2) and the video cable is also connected to AMD GPU, you should see BIOS and OpenCore output through the AMD GPU.
  • Are you running BIOS version F3?
  • I assume the AMD GPU has the 6-pin and/or 8-pin power connector(s) attached.
  • I also assume the Nvidia card is physically removed.

Very strange indeed. Yes to all your questions / assumptions.
I tried F2 as well. I even tried a different PSU. The MB is fed via ALL the power connectors including PEG and the video cards too (the RX one has 8+6, the GTXs have 6+6).
I can't see BIOS and OC via AMD or Nvidia GPU regardless of the choice. Let's see what Gigabyte come back with. There may be something conflicting with the PCIe slots at boot time.
And I don't have an M2 drive in yet, I built the rig using a spare SATA SSD.

My board is Rev 1.1, not sure if that makes a difference. What is yours?

Very strange indeed. Yes to all your questions / assumptions.
I tried F2 as well. I even tried a different PSU. The MB is fed via ALL the power connectors including PEG and the video cards too (the RX one has 8+6, the GTXs have 6+6).
I can't see BIOS and OC via AMD or Nvidia GPU regardless of the choice. Let's see what Gigabyte come back with. There may be something conflicting with the PCIe slots at boot time.
And I don't have an M2 drive in yet, I built the rig using a spare SATA SSD.

My board is Rev 1.1, not sure if that makes a difference. What is yours?
Mine also has a white label marked Rev 1.1. Have you tried enabling CSM Support in BIOS?

This script works. Most likely need to rerun the script after updates. Open Terminal and drag it into window.

% ./cpu_name.sh "8-Core Intel Core i7-9700" Locale: en New Name: 8-Core Intel Core i7-9700 ok? (y/n): y mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Operation not permitted mount: / failed with 77 Finished.

Script's not working.

% ./cpu_name.sh "8-Core Intel Core i7-9700" Locale: en New Name: 8-Core Intel Core i7-9700 ok? (y/n): y mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Operation not permitted mount: / failed with 77 Finished.

Script's not working.
Disable SIP and or gatekeeper.

How's the NUC 10 setup coming along?
Not as well as your Z490 :) ha ha, The basic unit is up, we needed to spoof the CPUID for the i7 to boot, but the i5 seems to work out of the box. Audio and Accelerated graphics (UHD 630) are both working and of course (with your help!!) Thunderbolt is up. We still seem to have an issue around disabling the ACPI EC as well as getting Wake from Sleep to recover the box back to a usable state. I believe the Sleep/Wake to be related to the advanced sleep state options that are available on the NUC as part of the options added for use as an HT-PC (e.g. HDMI CEC).

I'm most excited to get the native AX 201 WiFi working. I've been diligently plugging away trying various builds from the fantastic project started by zxystd on GitHub (The itlwm Intel driver project). I haven't seen success yet on the AX 201 but I'm sure we will eventually get there. This will be good for the Z940 Vision D folks as well. No more adding in the Fenvi card.

I'm excited, once I'm able to get everything stable (might take a little bit but that's okay of course) I'll get the Thunderbolt flashed and get caught up to the large and growing group of folks who have almost native Thunderbolt operation now!!!

Thank you for asking and for checking in, and of course for all your support to the community!!

Back