Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

A photo would help us to better understand the issue. Also note that OpenCanopy is still in development. New features will be coming. Proper scaling should also be coming.
No, it’s on login screen of Catalina (and I turned off OpenCanopy)

No, it’s on login screen of Catalina (and I turned off OpenCanopy)
That happens on my Z390 Designare with 4K monitor. After logging in, the correct resolution takes effect. That’s been happening for so long that I don’t pay attention to it!

Hi all,

I was interested in creating a hackintosh with the current system I am about to build. However when planning, I did not intend on making this a hackintosh machine. Relevant current specs include: i9-10900k, RTX 2080Ti & a MSI Z490I Unify board, for which I will have a manual attached.

I have been told there are 2 major things I need to change in my setup:
- GPU: Need something from AMD, was thinking an RX 580. Not familiar with the latest that AMD has though on GPU side.
- Wi-Fi chip: Was thinking of purchasing this card I saw on AMZN (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083YXS7VF/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) I am open to swapping the WiFi chip on my board if this gets me good system compatibility for Apple services. I am not sure if it will fit with my board though. In addition, I am a bit reluctant to do this as I fear download speeds on Windows may suffer, given I have WiFi 6 on my board.. That being said, I will primarily use ethernet.

In addition, my MSI Z490I Unify motherboard has a Thunderbolt 3 port I was interested in utilizing with all support in Mac OS X. In particular, I would like to use TB to use 2 or more PCIe devices (notably the GPU & WiFi Card). However, I am finding that 2 slot enclosures are rather expensive.

Hence, I am interested in modifying my board's Thunderbolt chip to be able to be used under Mac OS X with near-native capability. At the least I would prefer WiFi Card & eGPU support with display output @ 4k/60Hz. I am not familiar with how this process is done so I could use some pointers about how I may do so myself with a flasher & what parts I would need to do this myself. I do not know how I could do this on my board's Thunderbolt chip, and how I could take a backup of the current firmware it is running.

If I could get thunderbolt working in Mac OS X, being able to use a PCIe based WiFi card & eGPU would be my ideal workflow. This way, I could simply connect a thunderbolt box to my existing system & not exchange any components in order to get Mac OS X working.

If anyone here would be able to help me with this, I would appreciate any pointers & help I can get to get jumpstarted with doing this on my own. I am new to the hackintosh scene, and this would be my first system.

In addition, if it seems that it may be better to build a different system outright to target Hackintosh, I would appreciate help with component selection for another build (either AMD or Intel).

Attachments

• MSI Z490I Unify Motherboard Manual.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 123
After an unavoidable absence during the prior week, our two builds are finally completed.

My bountifully appreciation is extended to @CaseySJ for his assistance with this undertaking.

May I present...

Panther: Z490 Vision D / 19-10900K
Panther.jpg

and Zapp: Z490 D / i7-10700K
Zapp.jpg

I wrote to support of Gigabyte about the behavior of the RGB controller (reset after sleep etc.), explain the problem, they answered "We will test the RGB Fusion". Perhaps this could be fixed by BIOS update.

I wrote to support of Gigabyte about the behavior of the RGB controller (reset after sleep etc.), explain the problem, they answered "We will test the RGB Fusion". Perhaps this could be fixed by BIOS update.
But “sleepwatcher” is so cool... :) Anyway, if it’s fixed via BIOS/ACPI update then it can benefit Windows and Linux users as well.

After an unavoidable absence during the prior week, our two builds are finally completed.

My bountifully appreciation is extended to @CaseySJ for his assistance with this undertaking.

May I present...

Panther: Z490 Vision D / 19-10900K
View attachment 476462

and Zapp: Z490 D / i7-10700K
View attachment 476463
Just awesome! I do have a weakness for RGB after some home remodeling projects where I realized just how much of a difference lighting makes. The showers, for example, now have sunset, sunrise, thunderstorm, and other lighting effects. So why should the PC be any different? Life is not just about utility. It is also about art.

Nicely done..

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!
The RX 580 does list out under PCI devices in BIOS. CMOS reset didn't help. Will check with Gigabyte and post any updates. I noticed my MB is "Rev 1.1" BTW.
In BIOS, is “Initial Display Output” set to “PCIe 1 Slot”?

General note for those planning to port OpenCore from Z390 to Z490:

View attachment 471990
Update: MSR 0xE2 has been unlocked using “CFGLock.efi” as explained in Step 7 of post 1.

Update 8 Jun 2020: With OpenCore 0.5.9 and Catalina 10.15.5 we can use SSDT-EC.aml attached here. This has already been added to the new OpenCore 0.5.9 ZIP file at the end of Post #1. This particular version of the SSDT is adapted for Vision D. Do not use the general SSDT-EC-USBX.aml from Dortania.
@CaseySJ, I have been reading through the Z490 thread to learn what might be applicable to my NUC 10 Comet Lake box in getting it optimized. One thing I noticed was an incompatibility with the former way we used to unlock the config lock on the the Z390 Designare. The NUC 10 was also incompatible with this procedure. The following was recommended to me and it works great on the NUC 10. The efi application called CFGLock.efi (attached) simply run this under the EFI shell and it identifies the proper register and gives you the option to lock or unlock the config lock. Take a look and hopefully this helps provide a simpler method that works consistently (of course if this is already unlocked in the uEFI firmware like it is now in the Z390 firmware all the better!!)

Attachments

• CFGLock.efi.zip
    7.7 KB · Views: 73
Back