Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

Yes understood. I went back just to make sure. It was disabled in the BIOS. I am reverting to F5. Me and F6 will have to wait...

Now F5 is exhibiting the same behavior... I have zapped the PRAM, reset the CMOS, redone all BIOS settings, tried booting from the fresh Opencore USB, and tried booting from the recovery partition and all I see is a Apple Logo. Never gets to the loading bar. Things are not on my side tonight.

@CaseySJ

Yes understood. I went back just to make sure. It was disabled in the BIOS. I am reverting to F5. Me and F6 will have to wait...

Now F5 is exhibiting the same behavior... I have zapped the PRAM, reset the CMOS, redone all BIOS settings, tried booting from the fresh Opencore USB, and tried booting from the recovery partition and all I see is a Apple Logo. Never gets to the loading bar. Things are not on my side tonight.
May be necessary to create the USB flash disk from scratch again.

May be necessary to create the USB flash disk from scratch again.
Another fresh USB did the trick. No idea why the one I made before this didn't work. It wasn't in the machine when I updated the BIOS or anything but wouldn't work. Formatted it and started from scratch and all worked. Im back to a stable triple boot... What a rabbit hole I got sucked into tonight... Did not expect all this... Thanks again!

@CaseySJ Hi, I have already asked but did not receive an answer. Can you tell please why you use 0300983E for ig-platform-id? Opencore documentation suggest to use 0300C89B. Is there a specific reason why you use that id?
Both of those platform IDs are okay to use. When the build guide was created on May 27, there were no Apple computers with 10th Gen Comet Lake processors. This means macOS did not recognize 0300C89B. In fact MacOS didn’t recognize the iGPU device ID either. So we faked both the iGPU device ID and the platform ID to 9th Gen values. This worked because the iGPU is in fact the same UHD 630 in both cases; it has just been given a different ID.

When Apple released the 2020 iMac (iMac 20,1 and 20,2) on August 4, they also released a supplemental update to Catalina that included native recognition of Comet Lake iGPU device IDs. Around the same time WhateverGreen also included recognition of Comet Lake iGPU device IDs. This is why we dropped one of the two “FakePCIID” kexts (for enabling HDMI audio). But it wasn’t compelling to change platform ID so we left it alone.

You are welcome to change the platform ID if you like. Have you experienced any problems with 0300983E? When OC 0.6.2 is released I can update the platform ID.

Last edited:
You are welcome to change the platform ID if you like. Have you experienced any problems with 0300983E? When OC 0.6.2 is released I can update the platform ID.
Thank you for the reply! I'm still waiting for my hardware it should arrive in a week or so.

Thanks Casey for this deep guide. I'm having an issue that I'm not able to pin point. Somehow tb3 devices are only detected when I turn off the system and on again. No hotplug. No restart. Which is very cumbersome. Was wondering what could be wrong...

@CaseySJ One more question about config.

Opencore guide says:

EnableWriteUnprotector: NO
  • This quirk and RebuildAppleMemoryMap can commonly conflict, recommended to enable the latter on newer platforms and disable this entry.
I see both are enabled in your config

@CaseySJ One more question about config.

Opencore guide says:

EnableWriteUnprotector: NO
  • This quirk and RebuildAppleMemoryMap can commonly conflict, recommended to enable the latter on newer platforms and disable this entry.
I see both are enabled in your config
If the configuration in this build guide was wrong, everyone would be reporting failures. But they’re not reporting failures. Why?

If the configuration in this build guide was wrong, everyone would reporting failures. But they’re not reporting failures. Why?

Conversely, the Z490 Vision G will -not- boot with Dortania guide suggestions, but does with @CaseySJ ‘s efi.

Back