Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

You may not like this advice, but I have to ask:
  • Do you have any other monitors? Specifically, recent monitors with HDMI 1.4+ or DisplayPort 1.1+?
  • Do you have a flatscreen TV close by with HDMI?
  • If so, do those monitors display video over HDMI and/or DisplayPort cables?
View attachment 488514

Are you giving me an excuse to buy new 4K Monitors?

We have several “modern” monitors with HDMI and DisplayPort. I will try those later today. I just never had an issue with my Apple Displays so far.

Can someone succinctly explain the load line calibration option in the Vision D BIOS, and what it does and what is the best setting?

I was playing around with it, and I set it from auto to a few settings and settled on medium (the ‘low’ setting resulted in application crashes under sustained load). Temps in Cinebench r20 have dropped a full 9 degrees at the same Vcore voltage. Just trying to understand. I’ve overclocked the 10700K to 5.1 GHz all core. In macOS, temps during a Cinebench run were kinda hot at 85-86 degrees. I’m using a Kkraken Z63 cooler, and macOS doesn’t have the benefit of adjusting the pump speed in response to temp. When I run Cinebench in Windows, same BIOS settings as above, temps were in the 70s. But in windows I have the benefit of NZXT ramping up the pump/fan speed responsive to system temp.

Now with the load line calibration BIOS tweak, the system consumes less power and generates less heat under sustained load. I’m now getting a respectable 77 degrees @5.1 GHz overclocked in macOS. which is awesome, considering a real iMac20,1 (that is not overclocked to 5.1 GHz all core) hits 99 degrees and throttles down during a Cinebench run. Thanks.

Last edited:
We have tried, but this problem has been around for two years. AMD GPUs are inexpensive now because the crypto-mining craze has passed, so the 'solution' is to use even a low end AMD GPU. We use the iGPU only for emergency (temporary) situations such as:
  • Troubleshooting a problem with AMD GPU
  • Troubleshooting a monitor connection, sleep/wake, or refresh rate problem
  • Waiting for an AMD GPU to arrive
yes I know about that, but again this happened only with board z490 vision-D, by other boards like Z170X-UD5 TH is all working fine via cable TB3(usb-c) to DP and I got 4k 60Hz + forced RGB mode on DELL P4317Q.

yes I know about that, but again this happened only with board z490 vision-D, by other boards like Z170X-UD5 TH is all working fine via cable TB3(usb-c) to DP and I got 4k 60Hz + forced RGB mode on DELL P4317Q.
With all due respect, just because something works on one board (or smbios) doesn’t mean it works on another. I don’t think it’s good etiquette to goad others into trying to make something work just because you want it to.

All,

Please try the attached USBInjectAll 0.7.6 that has been recompiled to include iMac20,1 and iMac20,2. if it works, I'll incorporate this into the OC 0.6.1 EFI.

I prefer USBInjectAll over USBPorts because it allows us to use boot arguments to disable/enable individual USB ports. This is helpful, for example, when testing the experimental AppleIntelBluetooth driver and prevents us from having to modify USBPorts.kext or to switch between two or more versions of the kext. Nevertheless, USBPorts.kext is a perfectly good choice as well.

Sorry for my poor English, use Google Translate
I recently installed macOS, the model used is iMac20,2, and USBInjectAll_v0.7.5 is used. Because there is no driver for the ax201 wireless network card, I did not notice that USB does not have HS14 at the time. I released a new Intel wireless network card driver, and then I started to try to drive Bluetooth and wifi. However, Bluetooth can't be driven anyhow, and then I found that there is no HS14 port in Hackintool.

To this end, I tried many methods but couldn't get it, and I didn't find the answer in my domestic forum. It took a long time to find here. This is because of the USBInjectAll problem, and then I also tried to use the USBInjectAll_0.7.6 you released. Although the HS14 port is displayed in Hackintool, it is still not in the IORegistry. In the computer system information, the Bluetooth still shows the message not found. , The same is true after changing the model to 20,1, I think it may not be perfect yet. In addition, if you use "iMac20,1_USBInjectAll_v0.7.5_z490.kext" in the forum on 20,1, it can be perfect. But it can only be used in 20,1.
These are some of the problems that I have encountered, and I hope they can be resolved in a follow-up update.

Last edited:
Please try SwitchResX to enable 4K60 if nothing else works. I purchased a license yesterday for my new Gigabyte B550 Vision D with an older AMD R9 GPU, and SwitchResX works wonderfully.

ok CaseySJ, I will try again!

Please try SwitchResX to enable 4K60 if nothing else works. I purchased a license yesterday for my new Gigabyte B550 Vision D with an older AMD R9 GPU, and SwitchResX works wonderfully.

How many hackintoshes are you gonna build lol. Have you or are you gonna create a Vision Dd B550 thread ?

Can AMD platform run Adobe Creative Suit now? I read somewhere that all these apps have to be patched in AMD platform.

Ryzen is a better choice if Adobe apps are supported.

There are a couple of scripts to run which sorts out most issues. The latest beta versions of the apps now work without patching via the scripts. Probably Adobe working with Apple to remove Intel specific stuff out so that they will run on ARM. Some plugins don't work (yet) as they should, eg Topaz Denoise, even though they work on their own.

Back