Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
2x Vega 56 (Vega 64 Bios)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Thanks jbravo. If you're able, I think the correct test here would be using Intel Power Gadget while a benchmark is running. Trying it with the thermal/power limits at both default and max. Observing whether the clock speed is staying in a boosted state more constant when thermals are at max, and seeing if it goes back down at default. Cheers.

Thanks for testing this, Ayvan. I believe the 'K' series (which I believe you own) is able to maintain itself at this constantly boosted state regardless, whereas the non-K only boosts temporarily before coming back down UNLESS we adjust the power levels.

Kept it running for 30 mins and it stayed at 4.6 Ghz

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
Intel UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for testing this, Ayvan. I believe the 'K' series (which I believe you own) is able to maintain itself at this constantly boosted state regardless, whereas the non-K only boosts temporarily before coming back down UNLESS we adjust the power levels.
As far as i know, PL1 and PL2 for K and non-K CPUs is different, but all CPUs has PL1 and PL2.

You can read about PL1/PL2 limit here: https://www.computerbase.de/2020-06/intel-comet-lake-s-pl1-pl2-tau-tdp-cpu/

Core i7
10700K: PL1 - 125W, PL2 - 229W, Tau - 56 sec.
10700: PL1 - 65W, PL2 - 224W, Tau - 28 sec.

What is Tau? It's duration of PL2 mode:

mini-03_intel_core_i9-10980hk.png

You can test any CPU in OCCT or any other stress-test and look at power consumption graph. It must be like on this image. But on some motherboards default settings has ho limits!

You can look this video (it was posted early in this thread):
Or read article: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...erboards-with-default-settings-for-your-build

Graph from article:
z490-boost-package-power_all.png

Vision G (and, I think, Vision D too) has the same PL1/PL2 settings like Gigabyte Z490 Master in this video. I mean, NO PL1/PL2 settings, unlimited power :D Or, may be it has PL2 limit, but has no Tau limit, and CPU always in PL2 mode on heavy load.

Conclusion:
10600, 10700 and other "non-K" CPUs on some motherboards (including Vision D/G) could be faster because they work in PL2 mode all the time, not only 28 seconds.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi CaseySJ,
Many thanks for your excellent build guide.I have some issues with Safari, photo,user & group.
- Safari unable to load apple.com website when I select Enable JavaScript.
- Can not open photo app.
- User & group error when I click edit icon user.
Does anyone have the same issues? And how to fix it?

Many thanks.

I had a similar problem to this and the cause was that I used 'config-Intel-iGPU.plist' instead of 'config-AMD-GPU'.plist' as the basis of my config.plist for my build when I have an AMD GPU.

As soon as I replaced my config.plist with a renamed 'config-AMD-GPU.plist' edited with my own System Serial Number etc, all was good after that.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi CaseySJ,
Many thanks for your excellent build guide.I have some issues with Safari, photo,user & group.
- Safari unable to load apple.com website when I select Enable JavaScript.
- Can not open photo app.
- User & group error when I click edit icon user.
Does anyone have the same issues? And how to fix it?

Many thanks.
Hello @Hoasuthai07,

Are you using Platform ID 0x3E9B0007? In other words, in Step 4 of the build guide, did you choose config-Intel-iGPU.plist? Because you have an AMD GPU, the correct choice would be config-AMD-GPU.plist.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Which way is the best of updating current kexts in system?
I believe the best way is to download the updated kexts directly, then copy them into OC/Kexts folder. As good as Hackintool is, it notifies us of beta builds that are tempting to download, but should be avoided.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
AMD RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The LG 27UL500 seems like a good choice. It's a 4K monitor so you'll experience the glory of Retina display. In my opinion (since I use both 27" 1440p and 27" 4K monitors almost daily) a 4K monitor is so much better to look at than 1440p. If you require accurate color, simply look for a monitor that meets those requirements.

Apple Thunderbolt Display is a good monitor, but it's 6 or 7 years old. Time to move on... ;)

Very late to getting caught up on this thread, but I'm running dual LG 27UL650-W displays off of a Sapphire Radeon RX 580 card with HDMI. Both running at 4K with no issue, very clear, good viewing angles. Much better than my old 24" Samsung display...