2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Awesome! But still:
  • No WiFi 6
  • No Bluetooth 5 27" has Bluetooth 5 (21.5" does not)
  • No T2 chip (this is good for us) 27" has T2
This means the next update of Catalina (supplemental update) should make it unnecessary to use FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext because 10th Gen Comet Lake-S CPUs and iGPUs will be natively supported! We will need to look into iMac20,1

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 9.05.51 AM.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Awesome! But still:
  • No WiFi 6
  • No Bluetooth 5
  • No T2 chip (this is good for us)

Looks like it does have Bluetooth 5 and T2 chip? At least the 27", 21.5" looks unchanged. So it would be best to still use the old SMBIOS if SideCar is important to you?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Awesome! But still:
  • No WiFi 6
  • No Bluetooth 5 27" has Bluetooth 5 (21.5" does not)
  • No T2 chip (this is good for us) 27" has T2
This means the next update of Catalina (supplemental update) should make it unnecessary to use FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext because 10th Gen Comet Lake-S CPUs and iGPUs will be natively supported! We will need to look into iMac20,1

View attachment 482856

Likely improvements to the 5700XT graphics drivers as well...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Certain applications such as (a) Final Cut Pro, (b) iMovie, (c) Firefox, (d) ACDSee Photo Editor for Mac, etc. will crash on launch. Certain web pages will not open in Safari. So use of iGPU is not recommended for daily use.

On-board HDMI broke somewhere around Catalina 10.15.5, but has now been fixed with today's release of WhateverGreen 1.4.1. However, the above listed apps still crash on launch.

Pro Tools is not a GPU intensive application. So a high end GPU will just be idling 99% of the time. I think RX 580 or even RX 590 is a remarkably good choice.

Although you're starting to get into 4K video editing at this time, if this does become a significant activity then a more capable GPU is justified. It might still make sense to start with RX 580 or 590 and upgrade the GPU as your needs evolve. This, after all, is one of the most fundamental value propositions of a Hackintosh: Upgradeability.

Thanks for the insight! I'll see if I can snag a cheap used AMD gpu for now

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
2x Vega 56 (Vega 64 Bios)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
** OFFICIAL: OpenCore 0.6.0 EFI for Z490 Vision D **
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.​

I tried using the OC 6.0 EFI folder, everything seems fine except sleep, screen display goes black but system does not sleep

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I tried using the OC 6.0 EFI folder, everything seems fine except sleep, screen display goes black but system does not sleep
Hello @jbravo14

Please do not quote the entire guide as stated in the 2nd line. Imagine if everyone quoted every guide every time they reported a problem. This thread would be bombarded with repetition, which not only wastes disk and network bandwidth, but visually pollutes the thread. Simply edit your post and remove the quoted guide.

Regarding sleep, please try resetting NVRAM one time from the OpenCore Picker menu by pressing spacebar and selecting Reset NVRAM. If the problem persists, run Activity Monitor and sort the list by % CPU. Is there any process that is taking 100% or more of CPU time? If not, remove USB devices except keyboard and mouse. Does sleep work? If not, have a look at the Sleep Aid.

Finally, if you followed the OC 0.6.0 instructions and installed OC 0.6.0 on a USB Flash Disk first, simply boot the system from the original EFI folder on the Catalina SSD to confirm if sleep does in fact work with the previous EFI folder.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Any functional/performance upgrades if upgrading from 5.9 to 6? Mine's been super solid and just hesitant to mess with it, but down to try if it means better performance

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Any functional/performance upgrades if upgrading from 5.9 to 6? Mine's been super solid and just hesitant to mess with it, but down to try if it means better performance
Put 0.6.0 on a USB stick and boot from that. Run it for a day or two to see if it’s better, if not, shutdown, pull the stick out and reboot like nothing ever happened. :)

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There are no speed improvements, only bug fixes and some new features that we may or may not use. Please have a look at the Acidanthera GitHub site where each kext release contains a list of what’s changed.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
2x Vega 56 (Vega 64 Bios)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello @jbravo14

Please do not quote the entire guide as stated in the 2nd line. Imagine if everyone quoted every guide every time they reported a problem. This thread would be bombarded with repetition, which not only wastes disk and network bandwidth, but visually pollutes the thread. Simply edit your post and remove the quoted guide.

Regarding sleep, please try resetting NVRAM one time from the OpenCore Picker menu by pressing spacebar and selecting Reset NVRAM. If the problem persists, run Activity Monitor and sort the list by % CPU. Is there any process that is taking 100% or more of CPU time? If not, remove USB devices except keyboard and mouse. Does sleep work? If not, have a look at the Sleep Aid.

Finally, if you followed the OC 0.6.0 instructions and installed OC 0.6.0 on a USB Flash Disk first, simply boot the system from the original EFI folder on the Catalina SSD to confirm if sleep does in fact work with the previous EFI folder.

Apologies for the quote :) Yes I had it installed on USB EFI to test, and unplugged it after booting. After reverting back to the Old EFI sleep worked as expected.

Let me try the Reset NVRAM