Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

This is unfortunate. I have 6 of these working correctly since day 1.

I think you should contact Fenvi tech support and describe the problem with supporting screenshots, etc.

I will contact Fenvi and keep you guys posted.

Successfully updated to F6 BIOS version on my Vision G. All features of F6d (previous version) included: new UI, CFG-Lock parameter.

** Recommendation for Dual Boot and Triple Boot Systems **

One annoyance with a dual-boot or triple-boot system (with MacOS, Windows and/or Linux) is that Windows and Linux may change the Boot Order specified in BIOS. After using Windows or Linux and rebooting, we often find to our dismay that the system boots back into either Windows or Linux.

To avoid this problem, please see the new section at the end of Tech Talk:

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 2.01.10 PM.png

Last edited:
** Recommendation for Dual Boot and Triple Boot Systems **

One annoyance with a dual-boot or triple-boot system (with MacOS, Windows and/or Linux) is that Windows and Linux may change the Boot Order specified in BIOS. After using Windows or Linux and rebooting, we often find to our dismay that the system boots back into either Windows or Linux.

To avoid this problem, please see the new section at the end of Tech Talk:

View attachment 481509

this is great! Awesome tip!

Just for information re the OWC TB3 dock.

I've managed to get the dock recognised but switching the BIOS to PreBoot. However, the DisplayPort pass through doesn't work in DGPU mode so it's too much of a compromise to use as a full blown dock, like I do with my MBP. I suspect apple does some magic to get the dgpu/igpu compatibility over tb3 on their motherboards. I've just decided to run separate cables and use the displays input switching (like an animal :crazy:)... I'm going to investigate using a USB3 switching hub for transferring peripherals between the machines, which may actually result in a cleaner desk setup.

Also, my Fenvi card arrived from China. It has been installed and all seems to be working well. Its picked up my trackpad and wifi fine, I've not tried unlocking with my watch yet but that's not something I use a lot.

On the Vision D does anyone have the issue of when the power supply is cold booted (i.e., turned off and then on again) that the Vision D power cycles twice.

In other words, if you cut off power to the motherboard, and then cut it on again, when you press the power button on the motherboard, does the Vision D boot up once or does it come on for two seconds, go off, and then come on again?

The latter is happening to me. I’m working with Gigabyte but they’re saying it doesn’t happen in their lab. The same was happening on the MEG Z490 Ace but MSI fixed it with an updated beta BIOS. Gigabyte doesn’t seem to think there’s any problem. But I am about to record a video of it and send to Gigabyte.
Yes, it is happening to me all the time. On my previous system (Z97X UD5H), it used to be the same so I have always assumed it was a Gigabyte "feature". :)
Sometimes it even powers cycle 3 times but 2 is always if you switch off the power

@CaseySJ
Have you experienced cases where after waking up, bluetooth devices are disconnected or even worse switches off?
I have a Yamaha YAS-107 soundbar connected to my system vi bluetooth.
First problem: the soundbar does not reconnect automatically to the system on startup. I have to ,manually connected it
Second: when going to sleep, sometimes the soundbar will switch itself off. If it does not switch itself off, I have the 2 following pbs upon wake:
- the soundbar switches itself off. I have to switch it them then sometimes it will reconnect to BT automatically sometimes I'll have to reconnect it manually.
- the soundbar did not switch itself off, so BT led is flashing and it still won't reconnect

Also I tried fixing DRM the other day following the opencore post-install guides and added shikivga=80 to my boot arg flag. The issue I have is that I try to play a movie in Apple TV, the playback window opens and closes straight away. Can't play anything via the apple tv app.
However no issue playing from the web browser (Vivaldi browser)

Last edited:
@CaseySJ
Have you experienced cases where after waking up, bluetooth devices are disconnected or even worse switches off?
I have a Yamaha YAS-107 soundbar connected to my system vi bluetooth.
First problem: the soundbar does not reconnect automatically to the system on startup. I have to ,manually connected it
Second: when going to sleep, sometimes the soundbar will switch itself off. If it does not switch itself off, I have the 2 following pbs upon wake:
- the soundbar switches itself off. I have to switch it them then sometimes it will reconnect to BT automatically sometimes I'll have to reconnect it manually.
- the soundbar did not switch itself off, so BT led is flashing and it still won't reconnect
I just tested my Kechron K1 USB-C/Bluetooth keyboard using its Bluetooth mode. (I'm not using SSDT-GPRW.) The Hackintosh was able to sleep and wake properly. In fact, I woke it using the Bluetooth keyboard itself, and the keyboard did, of course, reconnect after wake.

This post is being typed using the Bluetooth keyboard after waking from sleep.

Just for information re the OWC TB3 dock.

I've managed to get the dock recognised but switching the BIOS to PreBoot. However, the DisplayPort pass through doesn't work in DGPU mode so it's too much of a compromise to use as a full blown dock, like I do with my MBP. I suspect apple does some magic to get the dgpu/igpu compatibility over tb3 on their motherboards. I've just decided to run separate cables and use the displays input switching (like an animal :crazy:)... I'm going to investigate using a USB3 switching hub for transferring peripherals between the machines, which may actually result in a cleaner desk setup.
Good to know that Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Preboot ACL allows this device to connect. For DisplayPort passthrough, have you tried:
  • Connecting DP cable from AMD GPU to DP-IN port on rear IO panel
  • Then connecting the dock to Thunderbolt Port #1 (closest to HDMI port)
Also, my Fenvi card arrived from China. It has been installed and all seems to be working well. Its picked up my trackpad and wifi fine, I've not tried unlocking with my watch yet but that's not something I use a lot.
Good -- another working Fenvi card. Really don't know why some cards (or motherboards) are having difficulties.

I just tested my Kechron K1 USB-C/Bluetooth keyboard using its Bluetooth mode. (I'm not using SSDT-GPRW.) The Hackintosh was able to sleep and wake properly. In fact, I woke it using the Bluetooth keyboard itself, and the keyboard did, of course, reconnect after wake.

This post is being typed using the Bluetooth keyboard after waking from sleep.
@CaseySJ Thanks. The issue I have is just the soundbar that is unpredictable after a wake or at start up. The other bluetooth devices like the keyboard or mouse are fine.
The issue was also present on my previous system (clover+Z97X). It is driving me crazy :)

Back