Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I can't think of anything else.... Are you sure you are using the correct power cables to connect to the video cards?
It was already working before, it had this configuration since 2019, then this year I had to leave it with the iGPU for 1 month, because I needed this gpu on another machine, and now when I returned it, this started to happen.
These are a couple shots in the dark.

1) Are you sure that you've selected in the BIOS
  • Advanced Mode > Settings > IO Ports > Initial Display Output > PCIe 1 Slot
2) Would you be able to try the PCIX4 slot to see if you have the same problem? Not an ideal solution, but it could point to a motherboard problem. Another user had that issue (ie., the PCIX16 slot didn't work)
1) Already selected.
2) Good point.

It was already working before, it had this configuration since 2019, then this year I had to leave it with the iGPU for 1 month, because I needed this gpu on another machine, and now when I returned it, this started to happen.

1) Already selected.
2) Good point.

I really can't think of why it's not working... I've swapped video cards and PCI-e cards many, many times and have never experienced this.

I really can't think of why it's not working... I've swapped video cards and PCI-e cards many, many times and have never experienced this.
I just tested an Nvidia GT730 and there were no beeps and it booted normally.
Now the doubt, if the problem is the Vega 56 and the GTX 770, because it needs power supply or are they the problem?

I just tested an Nvidia GT730 and there were no beeps and it booted normally.
Now the doubt, if the problem is the Vega 56 and the GTX 770, because it needs power supply or are they the problem?
You haven’t been super clear about this:
Did you connect the EXTRA power cables from your PSU to your Vega 56? It MUST have them.
Also, you CANNOT have agdpmod=pikera in your boot arguments.

You haven’t been super clear about this:
Did you connect the EXTRA power cables from your PSU to your Vega 56? It MUST have them.
Also, you CANNOT have agdpmod=pikera in your boot arguments.
Yes, the PSU cables were connected to the Vega 56, as I always did.
I just discovered the problem. The fitting that screws into the case was shorting out, and with that it gave the beep and did not turn on.
I took the motherboard out and put the Vega in and it turned on normally.

Thanks again for sharing the EFIs! My machine is very similar to yours and works perfectly:)

Yes, the PSU cables were connected to the Vega 56, as I always did.
I just discovered the problem. The fitting that screws into the case was shorting out, and with that it gave the beep and did not turn on.
I took the motherboard out and put the Vega in and it turned on normally.

Wow, that's one I've never encountered before. Good to remember as a potential troubleshooting step. Just to be clear, this is the screw that secures the motherboard to the case, or the screw that secures the video card to the case?

On my new/used case, it is slightly bent in the back where the PCI cards fit. I have to bend that part in order to secure the video card with the screw. Now that I think about it, on occasion, the video would sometimes fail, so what I do is reseat the card. I always thought that the tension with the bent case is somehow pulling on the card, but it's not like it is pulling the card out of the slot -- when the signal fails, the card is still firmly in place. I never really put a lot of thought into it because the reseating always fixed it. My permanent "solution" was to just not secure it with the screw. So come to think of it, maybe my screw is shorting out as well...

Wow, that's one I've never encountered before. Good to remember as a potential troubleshooting step. Just to be clear, this is the screw that secures the motherboard to the case, or the screw that secures the video card to the case?

On my new/used case, it is slightly bent in the back where the PCI cards fit. I have to bend that part in order to secure the video card with the screw. Now that I think about it, on occasion, the video would sometimes fail, so what I do is reseat the card. I always thought that the tension with the bent case is somehow pulling on the card, but it's not like it is pulling the card out of the slot -- when the signal fails, the card is still firmly in place. I never really put a lot of thought into it because the reseating always fixed it. My permanent "solution" was to just not secure it with the screw. So come to think of it, maybe my screw is shorting out as well...
So, in my case, the problem was the fit of the PCIe card in the case, so I had to use pliers, to give a certain angle in the fit of the card, so that the GPU had this problem again.
But in my case, I'm using an Apple PowerMac G5 Case, which I adapted to ATX standard, and it must have been very close, which could generate this issue.

So, in my case, the problem was the fit of the PCIe card in the case, so I had to use pliers, to give a certain angle in the fit of the card, so that the GPU had this problem again.
But in my case, I'm using an Apple PowerMac G5 Case, which I adapted to ATX standard, and it must have been very close, which could generate this issue.
Nice -- How did you do the case mod? Did you follow an instructional anywhere? I got my hands on a PowerMac G5 in really nice condition. I want to do the case mod, but after taking a look at it, then some of the instructionals out there, I'm kind of intimidated.....

Nice -- How did you do the case mod? Did you follow an instructional anywhere? I got my hands on a PowerMac G5 in really nice condition. I want to do the case mod, but after taking a look at it, then some of the instructionals out there, I'm kind of intimidated.....

I did it myself, and reuse the front panel and power board, the G5 is easier to make than the MacPro 1.1 to 5.1.
And here I made casemod on G4, G5 and MacPro.

Back