Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I followed the step by step of your topic, I have the latest version of Bios informed here and also CFG Lock disabled.

Did you try config.plist > Misc > Security > SecureBootModel > Disabled?

How can I get the Clover boot menu to show up and allow me to select which macOS volume to boot from? Currently my Hack is bypassing the Clover boot menu completely and going directly to the Apple boot logo. I've tried changing the timeout value to -1 but I'm still bypassing the Clover boot menu.

Hmm... I've never had that happen... Please try the following...

In config.plist > Boot, leave Default Boot Volume blank.
In config.plist > Boot, increase the Timeout number.

After selecting your boot drive from the BIOS boot menu, try holding the F11 key.

Hmm... I've never had that happen... Please try the following...

In config.plist > Boot, leave Default Boot Volume blank.
In config.plist > Boot, increase the Timeout number.

After selecting your boot drive from the BIOS boot menu, try holding the F11 key.
Holding the F11 down did the trick, thanks! I can now reliably get into the Clover boot menu when I need to yet still boot directly into macOS at all other times!

I'm curious; when you boot into your Hack, do you also bypass the Clover Boot menu?

I suspect that leaving the Default Boot Volume blank would also bring me to the Clover boot menu, as that is essentially what I was doing by unplugging the last working HDD. I had previously set the Timeout number to "-1" which is supposed to be no timeout, so I don't think that increasing the number would have helped.

I've tried other EFI's on this Hack and yours is the only one that bypasses the Clover boot menu completely and goes directly to the Apple boot logo. Could that be happening because of one of these Boot arguments in the config.plist?

<key>Arguments</key>
<string>-alcbeta -lilubetaall debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 -wegbeta -no_compat_check slide=0 -vsmcbeta dart=0 darkwake=0</string>

What does the "-no_compat_check" argument do? Before I killed my LGA1156 Hack I was using this Boot argument to use the MacPro5,1 SMBIOS in Catalina and now that I think of it, I think that I was also bypassing the Clover boot menu then, or at least it was booting much faster.

Thanks again,

Bruno

Holding the F11 down did the trick, thanks! I can now reliably get into the Clover boot menu when I need to yet still boot directly into macOS at all other times!

I'm curious; when you boot into your Hack, do you also bypass the Clover Boot menu?

I suspect that leaving the Default Boot Volume blank would also bring me to the Clover boot menu, as that is essentially what I was doing by unplugging the last working HDD. I had previously set the Timeout number to "-1" which is supposed to be no timeout, so I don't think that increasing the number would have helped.

I've tried other EFI's on this Hack and yours is the only one that bypasses the Clover boot menu completely and goes directly to the Apple boot logo. Could that be happening because of one of these Boot arguments in the config.plist?

<key>Arguments</key>
<string>-alcbeta -lilubetaall debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 -wegbeta -no_compat_check slide=0 -vsmcbeta dart=0 darkwake=0</string>

What does the "-no_compat_check" argument do? Before I killed my LGA1156 Hack I was using this Boot argument to use the MacPro5,1 SMBIOS in Catalina and now that I think of it, I think that I was also bypassing the Clover boot menu then, or at least it was booting much faster.

Thanks again,

Bruno

The "-1" was probably what was causing your problem.

I always get the menu whether I use Clover or OpenCore.

"-no_compat_check" is just there to avoid any problems that may arise from macOS checking system definition.

The "-1" was probably what was causing your problem.
I only used the "-1" while I was troubleshooting, otherwise I was using your stock config.plist from your Clover r5126 Z390M v4 EFI folder.

That's weird that I don't get the boot menu, but I'm not complaining! I like how quickly it boots into macOS! I only need the Clover boot menu for troubleshooting purposes.

Anyway, thanks again. I killed my 11 year old LGPA1156 build a few weeks ago now and thanks to you I'm now back up up running and better than before, all for less than $400! I was tempted to just get a new M1 Mac mini, but since I needed at least a 500GB HDD that would have been double the price. Plus I also occasionally drive 3 monitors and that's not currently possible with the M1 macs.

Bruno

Good evening, I will come back to you, I have a little problem, this time concerning my gpu I have a RX5600XT PULSE, I have a big problem with the geekbench 5 score I do not get the expected score, as if metal was not well detected, I heard about a kext radeonboost, ???

Good evening, I will come back to you, I have a little problem, this time concerning my gpu I have a RX5600XT PULSE, I have a big problem with the geekbench 5 score I do not get the expected score, as if metal was not well detected, I heard about a kext radeonboost, ???

RadeonBoost.kext no longer works with Navi cards.

okay there isn't a particular reason? special settings? I can know if the card turns well with metal?

okay there isn't a particular reason? special settings? I can know if the card turns well with metal?

If Metal is working, it's working.

You can try adjusting PowerPlay Tables to improve performance.

Variations in performance are probably due to individual cards.

What Works/Doesn't Work
  • Sleep/wake works, however, waking from sleep requires multiple mouse clicks/key presses. I have no idea why or how to fix this. If anyone knows, please let me know. Btw, pressing the power button wakes the system in one shot. (@pit512 figured out that "darkwake=0" boot argument fixes this. Thanks!) (@Humanate states "darkwake=10" has the added benefit of also being able to wake with Apple Watch along with just a single mouse click.)

This really feels like a brand new computer! I have been going through the forum trying to find the proper setting for the Energy Saver Preferences Pane so that Sleep/Wake works properly. I only have two options to Check/Uncheck; should they both be checked?

Put hard disks to sleep when possible
Wake for network access

I also came across a thread that stated that in order for Sleep/Wake to work properly that I should uncheck "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" in the Bluetooth/Advanced Preference Pane; I am using Apple's bluetooth Magic Trackpad and Magic Keyboard; should I still uncheck this setting?

Thanks,

Bruno

Back