Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Hello @pastrychef! You helped me get my computer up and running about 8 months ago on clover and I am looking to switch it over to open core, I downloaded the 0.6.3 v2 and made a duplicate of my system drive and put that on its efi but when I try to boot I just get the apple screen no loading bar and the fans shut off like nothing is happening. With your folder, since I am running the same mobo, same everything else should it be as simple as just adding that efi folder? Is there anything else I need to sort? I also could not figure out how to add -v from the open core picker screen and could not find anything online to tell me how so I could not see what it was stopping at (it stops pretty immediately). I updated the BIOS to F9L as well. Beyond that I am running the igpu on the 9900k so I believe some frame buffer edits need to be made as well - you were kind enough to give me the config.plist for the clover build that sorted that. I had hoped it was going to be as easy as swapping efi folders but nothing is easy with hackintoshes lol Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Assuming you are running Catalina 10.15.5 or newer and you are using IGPU only, you will need to copy the device property for IGPU from the Clover config.plist from post #1360 and paste it to your OpenCore config.plist > DeviceProperties > Add.

The reason for this is that the IGPU outputs on this motherboard require patching before they will work in macOS. For detailed instructions on how to do this manually, please see:

I never messed with that setting and have always left it at its default setting.
View attachment 496290

When you say the system doesn't auto-sleep, does the system even attempt to sleep and instantly wake up or does it never attempt to go to sleep at all?

What does sleep = 1 mean? On my system, I thought that means if it is inactive for 1 min, it would power down? How long do you leave your system idle before it auto-sleeps?

So far in Big Sur, if my disksleep is greater than the sleep value, the system never attempts to go to sleep. I can tell because the GPU (or CPU, but it sounds like the GPU) fan spins up momentarily then it will power off. However, when it is not working, there is just steady state activity, ie., the fans are running, the hard drive lights show intermittent access.

Do you have any physical hard drives, ie., spinning platters, or are all your drives solid state? Maybe that is the difference. Most people don't have physical drives anymore (I have 7).

But it is strange that it was working in Big Sur then it stopped working. I didn't play with these pmset settings before.

What does sleep = 1 mean? On my system, I thought that means if it is inactive for 1 min, it would power down? How long do you leave your system idle before it auto-sleeps?

So far in Big Sur, if my disksleep is greater than the sleep value, the system never attempts to go to sleep. I can tell because the GPU (or CPU, but it sounds like the GPU) fan spins up momentarily then it will power off. However, when it is not working, there is just steady state activity, ie., the fans are running, the hard drive lights show intermittent access.

Do you have any physical hard drives, ie., spinning platters, or are all your drives solid state? Maybe that is the difference. Most people don't have physical drives anymore (I have 7).

But it is strange that it was working in Big Sur then it stopped working. I didn't play with these pmset settings before.

Please see here for explanation of "sleep = 1".

Yes, I have three 3.5" spinners, two 2.5" SSDs, and two M.2 NVMe SSDs. I have my 3.5" spinners in a hot swap cage.
252947-62bb3548a0feb73aeab1a7ed2994669a.jpg

Which brand of NVMe SSD are you using, it's possible that you may need NVMEfix.kext. I've never found a need to use that kext on my Samsung, HP, and Western Digital NVMe SSDs...

Please enter the following in Terminal and post the output:
Code:
pmset -g assertions

Assuming you are running Catalina 10.15.5 or newer and you are using IGPU only, you will need to copy the device property for IGPU from the Clover config.plist from post #1360 and paste it to your OpenCore config.plist > DeviceProperties > Add.

The reason for this is that the IGPU outputs on this motherboard require patching before they will work in macOS. For detailed instructions on how to do this manually, please see:
Thank you I will get that added when i get home from work and see how that goes. Am I right in thinking the only way to add -v is by editing the config.plist? There is not a way to add it on the boot picker screen? I've been through the dortania guide and have not seen anything. I found an app called opencore configurator is that what people are using to help manage their opencore settings etc? Thank you :)

Hi folks, I have the problem with S / PDIF Optical Out and Big Sur. A patched version 1.4.1 works fine with Mojave. But not under Big Sur. Unfortunately I don't know what was done in AppleALC.kext 1.4.1.
Has anyone changed the AppleALC.kext 1.5.4. or newer to make it work under Big Sur?

Thank you I will get that added when i get home from work and see how that goes. Am I right in thinking the only way to add -v is by editing the config.plist? There is not a way to add it on the boot picker screen? I've been through the dortania guide and have not seen anything. I found an app called opencore configurator is that what people are using to help manage their opencore settings etc? Thank you :)

If "PollAppleHotKeys" is enabled in your OpenCore config.plist, you can hold Command+v to invoke verbose boot.

Hi folks, I have the problem with S / PDIF Optical Out and Big Sur. A patched version 1.4.1 works fine with Mojave. But not under Big Sur. Unfortunately I don't know what was done in AppleALC.kext 1.4.1.
Has anyone changed the AppleALC.kext 1.5.4. or newer to make it work under Big Sur?

Sorry, I have never messed with the Optical Out.

Please see here for explanation of "sleep = 1".

Yes, I have three 3.5" spinners, two 2.5" SSDs, and two M.2 NVMe SSDs. I have my 3.5" spinners in a hot swap cage.
View attachment 496294

Which brand of NVMe SSD are you using, it's possible that you may need NVMEfix.kext. I've never found a need to use that kext on my Samsung, HP, and Western Digital NVMe SSDs...

Please enter the following in Terminal and post the output:
Code:
pmset -g assertions

Thanks PC. I have sleep working well ... for now. I'll read up on these sleep variables. If it continues to be a problem, I'll let you know.

I'm using a Samsung (for MacOS) and WD (for Win) NVMe's.

Thanks PC. I have sleep working well ... for now. I'll read up on these sleep variables. If it continues to be a problem, I'll let you know.

I'm using a Samsung (for MacOS) and WD (for Win) NVMe's.

I have not needed to use NVMEfix with my Samsung or WD NVMe SSDs.

I still can't install Big Sur.
I tried to update, it didn't work, I tried to do a clean installation, it also wasn't, and now I tried to install it on a 1 TB HDD and it gave the same error as the SSD.
Boot Big Sur Hdd 1TB.jpeg
Boot Big Sur Hdd 1TB 2.jpeg

Back