Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Here's the most relevant thing I could find for 4 long and 1 short...

I would say try booting with one stick of RAM at a time.
OK, I’m in. Next challenge, not seeing my Adata NVMe drive :banghead:

@pastrychef So I still haven't sorted out what is going on with this machine yet. But a quick question: is there a way I can reset the BIOS without have to unlock the MSR or whatever to the NVRAM again? It is acting really weird. It won't keep the boot order setting. Similar to the problem I had on my first one of these boards where the BIOS just starts acting weird. I have set the boot drive to be the UEFI of the Samsung SSD, and then it will just boot from the SATA SSD with Windows on it. I can shut it back down; go back into the BIOS; and Windows will be the first boot potion. Every time I change it, it will just switch itself back. If I disable everything, but the UEFI from the boot options will just add the Windows back, in and put it right back in the first spot.

The only way to boot to Mac OS is to boot into the BIOS every time and then select the UEFI from the Mac OS disk as a one time boot override. But I have to do this ever single time. It is super annoying. So I'm wondering if I like pull the battery or in some other way clear the BIOS. Do I have to do the NVRAM unlock all over again?

Also, on the performance of this machine. I know that the issue has to be something with either a configuration with macOS or something that is installed or running or something with OpenCore. I did a OpenCL Geekbench in Windows and is mid 80K range. The system is super fast but something in the macOS config has made it really sluggish and performance is about 50% of what it should be.

Last edited:
@pastrychef So I still haven't sorted out what is going on with this machine yet. But a quick question: is there a way I can reset the BIOS without have to unlock the MSR or whatever to the NVRAM again? It is acting really weird. It won't keep the boot order setting. Similar to the problem I had on my first one of these boards where the BIOS just starts acting weird. I have set the boot drive to be the UEFI of the Samsung SSD, and then it will just boot from the SATA SSD with Windows on it. I can shut it back down; go back into the BIOS; and Windows will be the first boot potion. Every time I change it, it will just switch itself back. If I disable everything, but the UEFI from the boot options will just add the Windows back, in and put it right back in the first spot.

The only way to boot to Mac OS is to boot into the BIOS every time and then select the UEFI from the Mac OS disk as a one time boot override. But I have to do this ever single time. It is super annoying. So I'm wondering if I like pull the battery or in some other way clear the BIOS. Do I have to do the NVRAM unlock all over again?

Also, on the performance of this machine. I know that the issue has to be something with either a configuration with macOS or something that is installed or running or something with OpenCore. I did a OpenCL Geekbench in Windows and is mid 80K range. The system is super fast but something in the macOS config has made it really sluggish and performance is about 50% of what it should be.

If you saved your BIOS profile when you first did your setup, you can clear CMOS then load the saved BIOS profile and the MSR unlock will be done. The MSR unlock is saved in the BIOS profile.

I don't know what in macOS can cause the anomalies... Do you see anything weird in your console logs?

Morning, thanks for help yesterday @pastrychef, not sure what was preventing post but I'm there now. System up and running, stable, just some tweaks and hope OK if I ask you for help?

My front case USB3 is not working. Is this disabled in your kext? If I wanted to fix this, would I just have to install USB InjectAll before mapping the port and then exporting new kext, obviously I may have to sacrifice one?

Last edited:
Morning, thanks for help yesterday @pastrychef, not sure what was preventing post but I'm there now. System up and running, stable, just some tweaks and hope OK if I ask you for help?

My front case USB3 is not working. Is this disabled in your kext? If I wanted to fix this, would I just have to install USB InjectAll before mapping the port and then exporting new kext, obviously I may have to sacrifice one?

The motherboard F_USB30 header should be active. I have those ports enabled by default on my EFI folders. Please check that the cable from the case is plugged in correctly.

The motherboard F_USB30 header should be active. I have those ports enabled by default on my EFI folders. Please check that the cable from the case is plugged in correctly.
Hi, the port is working in BIOS, I've attached debug

Attachments

• debug_1871.zip
    4 MB · Views: 72
Hi, the port is working in BIOS, I've attached debug

Please launch Hackintool, click on the USB tab and post a screenshot.

HS07/SS07 and HS08/SS08 are the USB ports from F_USB30. If you see these on Hackintool, the ports should be working.
Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 6.53.43 AM.png

If you want to redo the USB ports yourself:
  1. Delete /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/USBPorts-with-Power.kext.
  2. Install USBInjectAll.kext.
  3. Add the KextsToPatches to enable all ports for your version of macOS to config.plist.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Use whichever method you are comfortable with to redo USB port mapping.

Last edited:
Please launch Hackintool, click on the USB tab and post a screenshot.

HS07/SS07 and HS08/SS08 are the USB ports from F_USB30. If you see these on Hackintool, the ports should be working.

If you want to redo the USB ports yourself:
  1. Delete /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/USBPorts-with-Power.kext.
  2. Install USBInjectAll.kext.
  3. Add the KextsToPatches to enable all ports for your version of macOS to config.plist.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Use whichever method you are comfortable with to redo USB port mapping.
OK, I am an idiot. USB3 front was working, it was the USB2 that wasn't (on F_USB2 that you have disabled) - I have now mapped the ports that I need and excluded what I don't and all working, thanks!

On another note, I found what was preventing post. I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cooler. It has a metal plate that attaches to back of the motherboard, this is the plate:
IMG_5905.JPGIMG_2142.JPG

It attaches on back of mobo here:
IMG_0718 2.JPG

As soon as that plate is attached, BIOS wont post, remove plate, we have post. It doesnt look like the plate touches anything but that was definitely the issue, tried several times. My question is, I'm worried I caused damage to my mobo, should I swap it out you think?

Finally, I know you have had issues with BIOS on this board previous versions. I have updated to latest. The language will occasionally change to French, wtf?

OK, I am an idiot. USB3 front was working, it was the USB2 that wasn't (on F_USB2 that you have disabled) - I have now mapped the ports that I need and excluded what I don't and all working, thanks!

On another note, I found what was preventing post. I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cooler. It has a metal plate that attaches to back of the motherboard, this is the plate:
View attachment 464613View attachment 464614

It attaches on back of mobo here:
View attachment 464616

As soon as that plate is attached, BIOS wont post, remove plate, we have post. It doesnt look like the plate touches anything but that was definitely the issue, tried several times. My question is, I'm worried I caused damage to my mobo, should I swap it out you think?

Finally, I know you have had issues with BIOS on this board previous versions. I have updated to latest. The language will occasionally change to French, wtf?

Oh... There's no way I can tell if the short caused by the backplate caused any permanent damage... Personally, I'd try to get it replaced because it would always be in the back of my mind...

Yeah, it keeps going to French for me too. I have no idea why. I switch it back to English every time I go in to BIOS.

Back