Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Yes. When I double click on it, the 'last opened' value updates to the time I click on it, but nothing happens. It's really odd.

Now I'm on Ventura and not Catalina, shall I put these values back to 0?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 9.16.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 9.16.03 PM.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Yes. When I double click on it, the 'last opened' value updates to the time I click on it, but nothing happens. It's really odd.

Now I'm on Ventura and not Catalina, shall I put these values back to 0?

Yes. You can set them back to "0".

Last edited:
I'm having trouble getting this to work.
The Bluetooth stack was changed in Monterey. The Bluetooth on Apple made Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards continue to work but many (all?) dongles will now need additional kexts.

Please see:

As I'm now on Ventura I have copied the following kexts into the kexts folder in the OC folder:
BlueToolFixup (not BrcmBluetoothInjector as I gather that was for OSX 10.11 and earlier
BrcmFirmwareData
BrcmPatchRAM3

Next I open my config.plist in ProperTree, and then do a clean snapshot function to add the kexts to the config.plist file.

I reboot and and get a black screen with the URL for Apple support.

Have I got the steps right, or am I doing something wrong? (I must be doing something wrong!)

I'm having trouble getting this to work.

As I'm now on Ventura I have copied the following kexts into the kexts folder in the OC folder:
BlueToolFixup (not BrcmBluetoothInjector as I gather that was for OSX 10.11 and earlier
BrcmFirmwareData
BrcmPatchRAM3

Next I open my config.plist in ProperTree, and then do a clean snapshot function to add the kexts to the config.plist file.

I reboot and and get a black screen with the URL for Apple support.

Have I got the steps right, or am I doing something wrong? (I must be doing something wrong!)

When you add kexts, you also have to add the executable path or info.plist, depending on which it uses.

It's easiest to use OpenCore Configurator to add kexts. It automatically does that stuff for you.

Also, when adding the Bluetooth kexts, the order in which you add them to config.plist matters.

Here's my TL;DR version/guide regarding which NVMe to buy for a macOS boot drive. Use Amazon or Newegg.

1. Have an older PCIe 3.0 board ? Plan to keep it longer term ? Get the SN570 in the 1 or 2TB size.
2. Have a PCIe 4.0 board like the Z690 line ? Go with SN750/770 or the higher end SN850(X).

View attachment 558825

I sent the Samsung SSD 980 back and ordered the WD Blue SN570 in the 2Tb size. Initially it was on backorder, but is now waiting for pickup by UPS. Given the capacity vs price, the SN570 was a good deal!

While I understand the instantaneous ”gotta have it NOW” world, I’m considerably less sensitive to boot speeds. My machine stays on for weeks at a time. If booting is going to be slow, it will be because I left multiple programs running with a number of windows open. It is just how I do things.

My Z390 motherboard supports PCIe 3.0, so needing a 4.0 card is not critical. Useful life, regarding a 4.0 card, is also less of a consideration. I got about 6 years out of Hack_1 before retained the case, CD/DVD drive, flash device reader and graphics card and replaced everything else to build Hack_2. Hack_2 has been running for about a year and a half and I hope to get another 4 to 5 years out of it. Given the way Apple is going, this may be my last Hackintosh.

Last edited:
OpenCore EFI updated to 0.8.7.
AppleALC and WhateverGreen also updated to latest release versions.

I couldn't figure out how to get my Bluetooth dongle working - it's a bit beyond me, it turns out. So I've bought a BCM94360CS2 and have it mounted on a PCI-e Adapter. I have the USB cable plugged into F_USB2 on the motherboard, but still my Bluetooth symbol has a line through it in the taskbar at the top of the screen, and I can't flip the 'on' switch when I go to Bluetooth in System Preferences.

I can activate wifi but it connects to my network for a second and then drops it again. I use an Ethernet cable on this computer, so not having WiFi isn't an issue, but it points to a card problem rather than a kext problem maybe?

Is there anything I could try?

I couldn't figure out how to get my Bluetooth dongle working - it's a bit beyond me, it turns out. So I've bought a BCM94360CS2 and have it mounted on a PCI-e Adapter. I have the USB cable plugged into F_USB2 on the motherboard, but still my Bluetooth symbol has a line through it in the taskbar at the top of the screen, and I can't flip the 'on' switch when I go to Bluetooth in System Preferences.

I can activate wifi but it connects to my network for a second and then drops it again. I use an Ethernet cable on this computer, so not having WiFi isn't an issue, but it points to a card problem rather than a kext problem maybe?

Is there anything I could try?

Try plugging the cable from the card to F_USB1. That's where I have the port enabled for Bluetooth.

Wi-Fi should just work. It should be plug-n-play if you have a BCM94360CS2. Which Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card did you get?

I've just tried it in F_USB1 and it's still not working.

I'm using this adapter:

And I'm using a BCM94360CS2 card.

The computer seems to be recognising it... see attached image.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 16.25.33.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 16.25.33.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back