Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Question. With latest OC EFI an option in boot picker appeared I haven't seen before - "verify MSR" - I turned it off in config.plist and it's gone. My question is, what does it do, can someone explain what MSR is/does in laymans terms and is it useful for me to verify it. Thanks

Question. With latest OC EFI an option in boot picker appeared I haven't seen before - "verify MSR" - I turned it off in config.plist and it's gone. My question is, what does it do, can someone explain what MSR is/does in laymans terms and is it useful for me to verify it. Thanks
MSR is Model Specific Register. Most BIOS lock writing to these registers by default and even hide the option to unlock it. MacOS needs to write to it. The verify MSR confirms that it can be written to. See this link https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/msr-lock.html

You use it to check if CFG Lock (aka MSR Lock) is enabled or disabled.

You use it to check if CFG Lock (aka MSR Lock) is enabled or disabled.
OK. In the F9l BIOS (and F9k/j I think) we can set CFG lock to "OFF" does this mean we still have to do the MSR unlock procedure in your guide?

OK. In the F9l BIOS (and F9k/j I think) we can set CFG lock to "OFF" does this mean we still have to do the MSR unlock procedure in your guide?

No. If you can do it from BIOS menu, there's no need to do it through Grub shell.

No. If you can do it from BIOS menu, there's no need to do it through Grub shell.
Great. Can I remove SSDT-PMC if I do it that way? Any other clean up needed in OC?

Great. Can I remove SSDT-PMC if I do it that way? Any other clean up needed in OC?

No, SSDT-PMC is required for NVRAM to work on Z390.

You can delete a lot of stuff, if you like... This is covered in post #3.

For those looking to upgrade...
Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.00.46 AM.png

Back