Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Z390 is Z390. The primary differences between your motherboard and mine are the VRM. Mine has better VRM which is really only needed for overclocking. Other than that, the differences are extremely minor such as USB ports layout, video out ports, etc. For the most part, my EFI should work fine for you.

Thanks for this. I haven't made much progress as have been experimenting with the framebuffer situation (ports, type, busids, etc) for this Z390M (non-gaming). Since I don't feel comfortable with how to diagnose issues with OpenCore yet, was rather hoping that I'd be able to figure it out using the somewhat-more-clear Clover tools and info out there.

This led to quite the rabbit hole of experimentation, where I still haven't been able to get HDMI working basically at all (I mean into MacOS, works fine for the boot stage). Just now had the epiphany that I'm being a bit of an idiot, DVI + DP is perfectly fine for my uses (HDMI might be useful in future, but as of right now I have zero HDMI-only monitors). Still puzzling to me that DVI has worked from the start - with only occasional hiccoughs - but not a question that needs to be solved.

One question that is a bit out there - I have persistent on and off troubles with a boot error (post clover in boot sequence but prior to mac os boot sequence) where it hangs on "Error allocating 0x11996 pages at 0x0#### alloc type 2 Couldn't allocate runtime area."

For a while I thought this was because of an other drive - when unplugged or disabled (SATA internal), it would sometimes clear and work fine, making me think it was a drive problem; often will occur after a change to the framebuffer tables and connector links of my experimentation, but not actually be linked to the config.plist files (reverting to known working versions doesn't always fix it); sometimes completely turning off machine and power for a while would clear the problem (but not always); sometimes doing something random like plugging in a second monitor will clear the issue. Infuriatingly hard to diagnose by pattern analysis of what works when. My gut is something in motherboard memory/prefs gets confused and kicks out this error, and how to clear it is 'jumping' something inadvertently. (My gut should not be trusted, I've no idea what the underlying issue is).

Anyway right now temporarily stable and repeatable decent performance if I don't change anything - but it's not where I want it to be.

I'm considering upgrading the bios from v5 to 6(something), and also a nuke-and-redo of the clover installation (or possibly OpenCore from scratch), as clearly there's something in the clover/configs that's not quite right (and my installation and EFI may be a bit of a mess by now).

This less a beg for help than a bit of a rant about the process and my own mistakes (at times interesting, I am learning quite a bit), but if anyone has a clue on the "Error allocating 0x11996 pages", hints would be appreciated.

Hello,
I want to remove my Sapphire 550 2go card and switch to IGPU (Sap550 + catalina = big problems) on a Z390 M gaming.
I'm currently on the F9J bios, but the IPGU option in primary has disappeared from the IO options...
So I tried to switch to F9K, F9l, or to go back to an old bios, even the original F4.
The problem is that I get an "oemID mismatch" error during the scan (except on F9J).
- how to get past this mistake?
- why did the IGPU option disappear?
the f9l bios comes from the gigabyte site

the only modification made is the "setup_var_3 0x5C1 0x0" that I changed back to "setup_var_3 0x5C1 0x1" during the F9J update.

I don't understand.

topic also open on the gigabyte forum : http://forum.gigabyte.fr/d/2233-erreur-maj-bios-f9l-sur-z390-m-gaming

yeah, of course !

Is very strange.. Now I have f9j, maybe this version is bugged for upgrade, tomorrow I test downgrade bios for upgrade
Hi, on F9j, do you still have the IGPU option in IO ? on mine, it's gone !!!

One question that is a bit out there - I have persistent on and off troubles with a boot error (post clover in boot sequence but prior to mac os boot sequence) where it hangs on "Error allocating 0x11996 pages at 0x0#### alloc type 2 Couldn't allocate runtime area."

This an Aptio fix problem and/or NVRAM is not working right.

Hello,
I want to remove my Sapphire 550 2go card and switch to IGPU (Sap550 + catalina = big problems) on a Z390 M gaming.
I'm currently on the F9J bios, but the IPGU option in primary has disappeared from the IO options...
So I tried to switch to F9K, F9l, or to go back to an old bios, even the original F4.
The problem is that I get an "oemID mismatch" error during the scan (except on F9J).

the only modification made is the "setup_var_3 0x5C1 0x0" that I changed back to "setup_var_3 0x5C1 0x1" during the F9J update.

I don't understand.

topic also open on the gigabyte forum : http://forum.gigabyte.fr/d/2233-erreur-maj-bios-f9l-sur-z390-m-gaming

I don't know why IGPU options are missing for you.

Try forcing the motherboard to boot in to the backup BIOS.

Hello,

I don't understand.

“oemID mismatch” means the board thinks it’s an OEM board rather than a consumer one and therefore the BIOS provided on the gigabyte site are not compatible. Some modification must have caused this. Have you cleared CMOS? Have you restored setup_var_3 to its original value? Note that you shouldn’t need to use that if you are using a BIOS with CFG unlock available. Perhaps that combination is making the board behave like it’s been customized by an OEM.

Hello,

I don't understand.

How are you trying to flash the BIOS? Are you using the utility in windows, or the Q-flash in the bios? I was having a similar issue trying to install F9J, when trying to flash using windows @BIOS. When I used the Q-Flash in the bios it worked fine.

This an Aptio fix problem and/or NVRAM is not working right.

Thanks, this gives me an avenue to explore. I'd thought of that but Aptiomem*something is there, and just did the test of setting a testvar in nvram (successful after the surprise below).

On reboot with just DP attached, got the memory error again. Attached DVI monitor, booted normally, but DVI dropped out past the apple bootpart. So attaching DVI did something? What fun.

I don't know why IGPU options are missing for you.
Try forcing the motherboard to boot in to the backup BIOS.
I will try tonight (not sure of the method, I'll try this method and I'll tell you :reset bios )

“oemID mismatch” means the board thinks it’s an OEM board rather than a consumer one and therefore the BIOS provided on the gigabyte site are not compatible. Some modification must have caused this. Have you cleared CMOS? Have you restored setup_var_3 to its original value? Note that you shouldn’t need to use that if you are using a BIOS with CFG unlock available. Perhaps that combination is making the board behave like it’s been customized by an OEM.
yep, i have cleared Cmos (connect 2 pins and remove battery), and yes, I restored the setup_var_3 to 0x1 before the F9J update, i 'll recheck the value tonight !!

How are you trying to flash the BIOS? Are you using the utility in windows, or the Q-flash in the bios? I was having a similar issue trying to install F9J, when trying to flash using windows @BIOS. When I used the Q-Flash in the bios it worked fine.
Yes, always with Q-Flash, I don't trust windows

Back