Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

So yesterday I changed

Last edited:
Is what easier? You can either unlock the CFG via (1) Grub or (2) with one of the beta BIOSes. Personally, I like the beta BIOSes because you can also disable serial port. Both are pretty easy, in my opinion...

The only issue with the beta BIOSes is that some people may experience black screen. I worked around the black screen by connecting my computer to my TV and was able to see the BIOS screen. Once the BIOS has been configured, I no longer get black screen when trying to enter BIOS, even when connected to my monitor.

Unlocking CFG has nothing to do with OpenCore. Unlocking CFG should be done whether you are using my Clover EFI or OpenCore EFI.
ok .. thanks .. ill surely try it out ..

Last edited:
Before installing my OS today, I'm thinking about the future if I want to install an NVMe SSD in the M2P connector.

Actually, I don't have an NVMe SSD, I have a samsung 860 Evo. Like @pastrychef said in his guide, if an NVMe SSD is installed in the M2P connector, it disables the SATA0 port.

So, for my install today, is it more preferable to install my Samsung 860 EVO SSD on the SATA1 port (instead of the SATA0 port), then if a day I buy and install an NVMe SSD in the M2P connector, i'll just have to clone the samsung 860 Evo to the NVMe ?

Ok, I pulled both of those out of my EFI. I have an RX 590 GPU

I did a Geekbench 5 test
Open CL -> w/ radeon boost 51651(best of a few tries), w/o radeon boost(best of a few tries) 53000
Metal-> w/ radeon boost 55876(best of a few tries), w/o radeon boost(best of a few tries) 58577

So in both cases slightly faster to have it out. Not sure if this is a noticeable difference in real world applications. I'll leave them out and see if I notice anything else.

Just a quick update on this. After removing radeonboost I could no longer stream content due to DRM issues. Putting radeon boost back in resolved the problem. I'm using the EFI from post 1360, with the edit to support a dedicated GPU. Not sure what radeon boost is doing but it seems to fix DRM issues.

Just a quick update on this. After removing radeonboost I could no longer stream content due to DRM issues. Putting radeon boost back in resolved the problem. I'm using the EFI from post 1360, with the edit to support a dedicated GPU. Not sure what radeon boost is doing but it seems to fix DRM issues.

What system definition are you using? Is IGPU enabled or disabled?

Back