Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your effort for X299X Designare 10G. It's very difficult for me, but I'm following the guide. Clover is being used for build. After setting the Disable Block side = Enable, it was possible to install, but when booting, it encountered a bios error screen. Go out without saving after entering BIOS, I can use it normally, but is there a way to solve it?

And another problem is that CPU clocks and memory clocks are not normal. XMP is also not applied and is fixed at 2,300Mhz. The CPU clock is about 3800. I'd like to know how to turn it back to its basic state and how to adjust it.

I installed it using Dolgarenan's Clean EFI, added ACPI, added device attributes, and created an aml file with the code using Maciasl and put it in clover/acpi/patched.
The BIOS error appears when there are two drives (could be a USB) with bootloader at boot, this board BIOS is absolute rubbish, that much I can tell.
The issue comes when:
  • Two bootloader drives at boot.
    • You have a system drive with bootloader installed in your board and want to boot from a USB with bootloader too, lets say a Clover BL. You have to make sure that once you have the system installed you don't try to boot from an external source, unfortunately this board will just KP and send you the message you posted
  • Incorrect BIOS settings.
    • Double check your BIOS settings, there might be something wrong, BIOS version 3b is the most stable yet.
    • Make sure Above 4G is enabled.
Check the above and report back, alternatively if you still have issues just upload your EFI without themes nor IDs and such.

How about BCM94360NG on the board? Does it work with OOB?
Most BCM chipsets work with BRCMFixup kexts from acidanthera, not exactly OOB but close

Well done to all in getting 10900X and MSI X299 board booting/working. Can you share UEFI and other relevant topics. I have MSI X299 SLI plus and 10900X with no progress beyond "++++++++" using Clover. Thanks!
Her is the patched BIOS-file for MSI X299 SLI PLUS, latest version. Use the Flash button on the backside... leave the MSR Lock at default (i think "Enable"). The EFI-Folder is for 10C and quite small, but it should boot without specific problems (perhaps you have to try with or without npci=0x2000). For post you need the Ethernet-drivers (Smalltree and IntelMausi).
Good luck!

Attachments

• E7A93IMS.1G0.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 47
  • EFI.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 94
Hey there Tonzone. Wow! I am speechless at your generosity!. BIOS flash worked fine. EFI folder booted super fast!

Ethernet kexts loaded. Many many thanks for your help here. Please let me know which entity I can donate some funds.

Fantastic work and maximum respect! Best regards, Nick

Thank you... but the real heroes are e. g. dolgarrenan, Loloflatsixand (or CaseySJ or scottkendall), they are tireless and persistent, and certainly also the guys who made UEFIpatch :thumbup:

The BIOS error appears when there are two drives (could be a USB) with bootloader at boot, this board BIOS is absolute rubbish, that much I can tell.
The issue comes when:
  • Two bootloader drives at boot.
    • You have a system drive with bootloader installed in your board and want to boot from a USB with bootloader too, lets say a Clover BL. You have to make sure that once you have the system installed you don't try to boot from an external source, unfortunately this board will just KP and send you the message you posted
  • Incorrect BIOS settings.
    • Double check your BIOS settings, there might be something wrong, BIOS version 3b is the most stable yet.
    • Make sure Above 4G is enabled.
Check the above and report back, alternatively if you still have issues just upload your EFI without themes nor IDs and such.

Thank you for your reply. I changed the bios from F3c to F2b. As you said, there was no bios error without any bootloader except Mac. And my memory became 3,200Mhz. But after unplugging the power completely, a bios error came in. I have no choice but to use Windows because of my company work. So while I was trying to install two M.2 SSDs for Windows and Mac, there was a situation where I could use two OSs without any BIOS errors under certain conditions. I connected 1T external SSD to Gen2 USB and USB (for bio-updating) to USB 3.1 port. I was able to use 2OS fairly stably. If you look at this part, I think you can make it more stable. The 4G above option definitely had to be disabled. Other bios settings were used as the F2b version you uploaded.

Also, I recommend a memory location like the picture attached by Apple. Can I ignore this part?

I bought SPI for Thunderbolt and I am waiting for BCM94360NG to arrive.
I am very happy to do many things thanks to you.

Attachments

• E21A34F1-CE55-40F1-A391-A83C238FC92B.jpeg
    E21A34F1-CE55-40F1-A391-A83C238FC92B.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 4-29_EFI .zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 70
Hi zzmadd, a good entry level tip is the MSI X299 Pro (https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/X299-PRO), you only have to use a patched UEFI (I have it, if you need). I have got it nearly perfect with an RX 580 and 590, and a flashed Alpine Ridge TB Card (1000 thanks to scottkendall). Tested with 9960X, 10900X, 9940X.

@oli.mathieu
I have tested a 10900X successfully with the above mentioned MSI X299 Pro and the Asus Prime X299 A-II, both with the magic of Loloflatsix and UEFIpatch. Not much more complicated than the previous X299´s.
Hi @tonzone
thanks a lot for your tip.

At EU 268 that's a good alternative.
How much are those VRM capable? the ASRock X299 Extreme4 have very poor VRMs once they warm up.

Could you share the EFI or patch for MSI X299 Pro or Asus X299A II?
That'd be really handy. Would save lots of time.
Ideally on this board I'd use a 1090XX or at most a 9940X/10940X.

Do you think between the aforementioned board the Asus is better or just on par?

Thanks for your help.

@zzmadd
I think it´s a matter of taste... I like the MSI, it´s clear, no blingbling, it just works ;-)
It has two LAN ports, one is a RTL8125; it´s without function at the moment, but the fabulous Mausi is working on it: https://github.com/Mieze/LucyRTL8125Ethernet).
I have done short tests with TB and it seems to work very very good, I´ve tested a flashed Alpine Ridge and the MSI TBM3. It has the newest USB3.2 with 20 Gbps (ASM3242), but there are no drivers in macOS, it works as USB2 (maybe with later Catalina-versions?). But it also has an ASM3142 which is working nativ. 15.470 points with GB5/9940X (see below).

The Asus Prime A-II has only 1 LAN port, but 3 x m.2 ports, the MSI 2 x.

For both boards we have to patch the UEFI. Yo can use the EFI-folder from this post as basic: https://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/efi-zip.465613/ - you only have to add the network drivers, and if you want a board-specific USB-Kext.

MSI_X299P_14C_GB5.png

@zzmadd
I think it´s a matter of taste... I like the MSI, it´s clear, no blingbling, it just works ;-)
It has two LAN ports, one is a RTL8125; it´s without function at the moment, but the fabulous Mausi is working on it: https://github.com/Mieze/LucyRTL8125Ethernet).
I have done short tests with TB and it seems to work very very good, I´ve tested a flashed Alpine Ridge and the MSI TBM3. It has the newest USB3.2 with 20 Gbps (ASM3242), but there are no drivers in macOS, it works as USB2 (maybe with later Catalina-versions?). But it also has an ASM3142 which is working nativ. 15.470 points with GB5/9940X (see below).

The Asus Prime A-II has only 1 LAN port, but 3 x m.2 ports, the MSI 2 x.

For both boards we have to patch the UEFI. Yo can use the EFI-folder from this post as basic: https://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/efi-zip.465613/ - you only have to add the network drivers, and if you want a board-specific USB-Kext.

View attachment 465902
Hi @tonzone thanks for the detailed reply. (For some reasons your reply didn't show up in the notifications).

I thought a modified/patched Bios was needed too. So do I get it correctly that just the UEFI needs a patch and no patched bios need to be installed?
Is this the ACPI patch you're talking about that has to be enabled: X299X_STAS_XTAS_test

I'm attracted by the MSI too, by both of them have to say.
So the 2.5G Ethernet there's a possibility that will come to life through the effort of Mausi, and the USB 3.2 if Apple drops the drivers.
How about TB3? Would a Titan Ridge Work OOB without flashing Bios or a it's better a flashed version?

Thanks a lot!

Hi @dolgarrenan

I have a couple of questions about the Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
- In the end everything works?
- Does sleep work?
- Does TB3 work as expected OOB with hot plug? Like a Titan Ridge Card into a Sage X299 so to say?
- Can the WiFi+Bluetooth module be swapped for a MacOS compatible one?

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back