Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised with METAL efficiency - the same clip renders in 7 minutes under Win10 and 2 minutes under MacOs. While SSDs still are in NTFS read only mode. Plan to convert my 2 Sabrent 2TB SSDs to one 4TB RAID 0 drive.

Last edited:
I can not seem to find a Radeo VII online for purchase. Is there a successor to it or is it still the best bet for Video Editing. I am Finally building my x99 replacement system.

KC

What program are you going to use for video editing? Once you have that question you can then find out what hardware the application supports. Some video editing software uses the Intel graphics and you don't even need a graphics card, just enable the iGPU.

Likely though, I suspect what you will want is a 5700XT like the Sapphire Pulse or Sapphire Nitro+.

I can not seem to find a Radeo VII online for purchase. Is there a successor to it or is it still the best bet for Video Editing.
Not at the moment unfortunately

Surprised with METAL efficiency - the same clip renders in 7 minutes under Win10 and 2 minutes under MacOs. While SSDs still are in NTFS read only mode. Plan to convert my 2 Sabrent 2TB SSDs to one 4TB RAID 0 drive.
Metal is "supposed" to be a real alternative compared to deprecated OpenGL or unusable CUDA since Apple dropped support, In some cases Metal crashes, so I guess it's not perfect yet.
I can not seem to find a Radeo VII online for purchase. Is there a successor to it or is it still the best bet for Video Editing. I am Finally building my x99 replacement system.
They are EOL, only stock left in old new stock on certain retailers, honestly speaking, I don't think AMD made this card for the long term, they quickly stopped creating new BIOS to solve the issues it had and production was dead not long after their release, just like with Vega FE.
What program are you going to use for video editing? Once you have that question you can then find out what hardware the application supports. Some video editing software uses the Intel graphics and you don't even need a graphics card, just enable the iGPU.
That's only true when rendering in compressed formats like H.264, H.265 which are CPU dependant and most compressed video formats (internet may help you better understanding what you need, just do a quick search), if you are going to work with raw content and pretend to play in realtime I'm certain it won't be possible with just integrated graphics, in fact, having more than 10Gb of video ram is the only way to move 4K in realtime.

I run Resolve and Premiere on a daily basis in a heavy way. We mostly shoot Phantom 4k Flex at a 1000fps. Big data. Recently i was forced to use Premiere 2020 with out cuda and it sucks.

with out cuda and it sucks
Hahahaha it does indeed, shame on Apple to just ban Nvidia like this... Anyway, they just destroy anything that doesn't comply with their f***ed up idea about how things should be, world domination is here my friends.

Hi all.

I have just installed Catalina in my brand new Hackintosh build with the dolgarrenan's clover clean EFI. But for some weird reason when booting in clover 9 times of 10 the machine reboots. Also my Bios is reporting 4100Mhz instead of 3,3GHZ of the cpu clock. When I change clock settings it does not change anything. I updated the Bios to F3c and it's even worst now. It maybe cause the ram is from my old Hackintosh but stills is a good ram (I believe). G. Skill TridentZ Red 3200C14D.

I also build a OpenCore from scratch checking every settings with Ellybz EFI and it looked like much more stable, because it would boot always (no bloody unexpected reboots) but could not pass from apfs_module_start:1683. Every one keeps saying is about SSDT_EC, I tested before with SSDT-EC-USBX.aml same results, started adding more and more SSDT from Ellybz with no other results.

Right now I am on Catalina with clover and no ethernet ;) Looks like it's going to be a loooong weekend ;)

Thanks everybody though, I skipped a lot of headaches with your patch and EFIs.

Here is my OpenCore EFI. It does not boot due to apfs_module_start:1683 issue.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back