Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try BIOS settings "disable block sid=enable" and disable TB. In my case it helped to boot. Then you can install 10G kext to enable ethernet.
It would be GREAT if @dolgarrenan (in his great and unmuched wisdom) would share with us (his loyal followers) detailes of his BIOS settings:)

Last edited:
Hi all.

I have just installed Catalina in my brand new Hackintosh build with the dolgarrenan's clover clean EFI. But for some weird reason when booting in clover 9 times of 10 the machine reboots. Also my Bios is reporting 4100Mhz instead of 3,3GHZ of the cpu clock. When I change clock settings it does not change anything. I updated the Bios to F3c and it's even worst now. It maybe cause the ram is from my old Hackintosh but stills is a good ram (I believe). G. Skill TridentZ Red 3200C14D.

I also build a OpenCore from scratch checking every settings with Ellybz EFI and it looked like much more stable, because it would boot always (no bloody unexpected reboots) but could not pass from apfs_module_start:1683. Every one keeps saying is about SSDT_EC, I tested before with SSDT-EC-USBX.aml same results, started adding more and more SSDT from Ellybz with no other results.

Right now I am on Catalina with clover and no ethernet ;) Looks like it's going to be a loooong weekend ;)

Thanks everybody though, I skipped a lot of headaches with your patch and EFIs.

Here is my OpenCore EFI. It does not boot due to apfs_module_start:1683 issue.
Pretty sure, this is not coming from my EFI past or present ( I archive all my EFIs). My debug target has always been 67 (or 0 ). You are missing the entire section of "DeviceProperties" in your config.plist . There's also a big mess in your ACPI tables and the related connection with your config.plist. You need to understand what each SSDT is doing and why you need them. Not trying to be hard on you, but even solving your apfs_module_start:1683 won't give you good expected results. I think you are trying to go thru shortcuts. It does not work. Take the time to read the manual.

As I'm running now a customized version of OC, my current EFI would not help you much either.
Not all boards need the EC patch to boot Catalina. You need to look first into your IORegistryExplorer to verify it's presence. Do some research. Be patient. You'll get thru it. Good luck - Still retired.

PS: If you run the Debug version of OpenCore and set your target to 67, you will have a full bootlog and its potential errors, written and saved inside your EFI . This Boot log is very important to diagnostic and resolve your issues.
In the release version of OC , target value of 67 will still print a summary of your errors in your EFI. These need to be addressed.

Last edited:
Hi Ellybz

First of all, I find your reply very truthful and no hard whatsoever. So big thanks, I prefer to be pointed in the right direction and listen what I am doing wrong. Is very true that I am taking shortcuts, I am kind of desperate.

My main system broke 2 weeks ago (i7 6900K and Asus Rampage V Extreme U3.1), I think it's the CPU but still I am not sure till my 6700k cpu arrives in 2 weeks. To make it worse I also left my work to build a new company and had lot of work going on, I thought of buying the new Mac Pro but pretty expensive to afford it right now, I still have no income so I could not go that route. Maybe next year.

Is true my EFI is a mess, but I followed the OpenCore Vanilla guide, twice, checking every settings in the guide and comparing with yours to have a guide. When I could not event install (pass thru apfs_module) I started to add things without any sense ;). When I got stuck I went to test the clover route (more mess) but at least I could install Catalina with dolgarrenan EFI. Also very true that I did not read the OpenCore manual.

I know also the fine tune takes some time, I was just trying to boot the catalina installation on the usb pen drive.

So thank you very much for reply.

At this moment. I have Catalina with clover, it's quite stable but I can only boot when Bios gives a Failure Warning enter the Bios (changes language to French I am puzzled) and Boot Override. In normal way it always reboots. There is something weird with my config.plist or my Bios. I guess is some dolgarrenan settings are in conflict with mine but as you said I trying shortcuts and is all my fault ;)

Still think OpenCore is the route to go, I like it a lot but because I kind of feel in a hurry went to clover. I am going to read the manual.

WasMac: I can't find "disable block sid=enable" in my Bios. What Bios firmware you have because F2 and F3c don't seem to have that settings.

Thanks everybody ;)
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
I’m on the trip now and hope to reach my x299x only next week, but I have one foto - may be it will help. After this changes x299x starts to boot. My Bios is f3c.
C55E7A00-9B62-432F-9C20-F37A8AF81897.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello
I've just bought an X299X designare 10G
I found another PCIe Card in the box. it seems to be :
Is that normal ?
Why giving a PCIe Gen 4.0 Card with a PCIe Gen 3.0 motherboard ?

Hello
I've just bought an X299X designare 10G

TIs that normal ?
Why giving a PCIe Gen 4.0 Card with a PCIe Gen 3.0 motherboard ?
Yes, it is normal.
About why gen4 in gen3 motherboard I don’t get it either.

Glad more and more Designare 10G are gathering around ;)

Thanks WasMac

Yes, it is normal.
is there a way to buy the mobo without this PCIe Card ?

I personally desperately need my X16 PCIe slot for GPU computing power, not fast storage

Hi Ellybz

First of all, I find your reply very truthful and no hard whatsoever. So big thanks, I prefer to be pointed in the right direction and listen what I am doing wrong. Is very true that I am taking shortcuts, I am kind of desperate.

My main system broke 2 weeks ago (i7 6900K and Asus Rampage V Extreme U3.1), I think it's the CPU but still I am not sure till my 6700k cpu arrives in 2 weeks. To make it worse I also left my work to build a new company and had lot of work going on, I thought of buying the new Mac Pro but pretty expensive to afford it right now, I still have no income so I could not go that route. Maybe next year.

Is true my EFI is a mess, but I followed the OpenCore Vanilla guide, twice, checking every settings in the guide and comparing with yours to have a guide. When I could not event install (pass thru apfs_module) I started to add things without any sense ;). When I got stuck I went to test the clover route (more mess) but at least I could install Catalina with dolgarrenan EFI. Also very true that I did not read the OpenCore manual.

I know also the fine tune takes some time, I was just trying to boot the catalina installation on the usb pen drive.

So thank you very much for reply.

At this moment. I have Catalina with clover, it's quite stable but I can only boot when Bios gives a Failure Warning enter the Bios (changes language to French I am puzzled) and Boot Override. In normal way it always reboots. There is something weird with my config.plist or my Bios. I guess is some dolgarrenan settings are in conflict with mine but as you said I trying shortcuts and is all my fault ;)

Still think OpenCore is the route to go, I like it a lot but because I kind of feel in a hurry went to clover. I am going to read the manual.

WasMac: I can't find "disable block sid=enable" in my Bios. What Bios firmware you have because F2 and F3c don't seem to have that settings.

Thanks everybody ;)
Have a nice day.
I'd say to post your full BIOS config (pics in a zip file), and post images of your verbose output when your system stalls at boot, I have not experienced any of these issues with my build and I have plenty of ACPI tables running. I'm currently using BIOS F3C with minimal changes.
I’m on the trip now and hope to reach my x299x only next week, but I have one foto - may be it will help. After this changes x299x starts to boot. My Bios is f3c.
View attachment 452599
Did you change any settings in your TB section?
CPU EIST=disabled
Enhanced Multi-Core P=enabled
Intel Turbo B=enabled
Security D S= Disabled
Above 4G Decoding=disabled

I personally desperately need my X16 PCIe slot for GPU computing power, not fast storage
Then just don't install the PCIe card, it's up to the user to use it or not, and no, you can't buy it without it, comes as a "freebie".

@Ellybz could you please share your basic new EFI?? I'm just curious to see how could I implement OC on these babies. I would like to move onto OC but I'm just a bit wary about the way patches are done.. I have and AMD system and all the patched needed are somehow different for each bootloader (Clover does not currently support past 10.15.1 and I keep hearing patches are done differently) it makes me wonder but since it looks like dev teams are doing more stuff for OC than clover, might be a good time to start with the switch (I know you are still retired :p).

Last edited:

I don't think so. But it's optional to put it in. You have 3 M.2 slots in the motherboard and depending what of the 3 you use you will get X16 or not. I have not really check it because I have only installed and old hdd from apple 2,5" 5400rpm and I am surprised how good behaving catalina in this machine. All my M2 and SSD are outside of my old machine.

So his PCIe card is if you want additional 4 M2 SSD I think is for RAID booting or for someone who need really really fast scratch disk system or so. For me, it's going to be in the box for a long time because I don't intend to buy 4 M.2 SSD.

I made several attempts for booting Catalina : All failed ➧ Kernel Panic. ... before "PCIe configuration"

I use Clover As boot loader,

In a BIOS
I disable : Vt-d, CSM, SecureBoot, FastBoot,
I enable : 4G decoding, Thunderbolt ➧ security SL0

Questions :
- I've read in the OC troubleshooting documentation that "Above 4G decoding" enable in the BIOS and "npci=0x2000" boot argument are conflicting.
Which one should I choose .. or none ?
- The DSDT patch in the first post does the same as the SET-STAS.aml or not ? do I need both or only one ? with one ?

Any advice ?
thanks in advance

Attachments

• X299X Designare 10G v1.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back