Graphics
Vega
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys!

I just started to configure my Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G and flashed the Thunderbolt EEPROM with the file from the 1st post:
Now we can finally move to flashing the modified firmware, download, unzip and place the .bin somewhere comfortable for easy access.

Afterwards I open the SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-THUNDERBOLT-SIMPLIFIED edited the five values, recalculated the checksum and added the aml to my config.plist

Unfortunately, I get this error message while booting the system:
Code:
Thunderbolt 255 PCI - LS=0x7043 LC=0x0040 SS=0x0050 SC=0x0008 PMCSR=0x0000...
[PCI configuration end, bridge 19, device 125]
IOThunderboltSwitch<0>(0x0)::listenerCallback - Thunderbolt HPD packet for route = 0x0 port = 5 unplug = 0
IOThunderboltSwitch<0>(0x0)::listenerCallback - Thunderbolt HPD packet for route = 0x0 port = 6 unplug = 0
IOThunderboltEEPROM::getDROM - Error getting DROM from I/O Resistry (0xe00002be)

What did I miss?
Thanks!

Motherboard
Asus z390 maximus xi extreme
CPU
I9-9900k
Graphics
UHD 630
Hey guys!

I just started to configure my Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G and flashed the Thunderbolt EEPROM with the file from the 1st post:

Afterwards I open the SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-THUNDERBOLT-SIMPLIFIED edited the five values, recalculated the checksum and added the aml to my config.plist

Code:
IOThunderboltSwitch<0>(0x0)::listenerCallback - Thunderbolt HPD packet for route = 0x0 port = 5 unplug = 0
IOThunderboltSwitch<0>(0x0)::listenerCallback - Thunderbolt HPD packet for route = 0x0 port = 6 unplug = 0
IOThunderboltEEPROM::getDROM - Error getting DROM from I/O Resistry (0xe00002be)

What did I miss?
Thanks!
Is this motherboard really that difficult to get mac OS running and can you give a short guide on how you approached the hack....thanks....and hope you get thunderbolt working as I'm interested in building this for my Universal Audio thunderbolt interfaces.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
you will have more consumer with Z490
Which model exactly is confirmed today

EDIT: forget, apparently 10980XE is not compatible with Z490 chipset ...

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10900X
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey guys!

Code:

What did I miss?
Thanks!
You should be good to go with the files provided... Let's see:
Code:
Are you using SSDT-RTC0.aml from first post?

Are you on OC? Have you enabled Aboge4G decoding in BIOS? Perhaps (based on your hardware) you should activate "IncreasePciBarSize" under Kernel/Quirks..

Are you certain you have correctly done the byte changes...? Try with the original file just for testing.

Remember to do a "CleanNVRam" after making changes to your ACPI tables. You haven't been switching from OC to Clover right?

Motherboard
CPU
i9-10900X
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
@tutu13 , to answer your questions all I can say is that almost any board can be used for a hackintosh, it all comes down to your skills, well, more your reading and comprehension skills. Everyone starts at the bottom and learns as they go.

I think you should go with whatever hardware you fancy the most, going for a HEDT is a bit redundant at the moment, new 10000 series CPU (e: i7 10700K) for consumer are improving a lot if you ask me and prices are more or less okay.

If you are undecided and are not very skill full I'd suggest going with a "Z" series, perhaps are easier to handle and because they are more "pocket friendly" the community has more content on it. Us lovers of the difficult are a rare breed that likes to kill their brains trying to make things work as intended.

But here are my two recommendations for HEDT: X299X Designare 10G (hard cookie to crack) and X299 ASRock Creator, a little easier but not problem free.

On "Z" chipsets you have plenty to chose, is only limited by your budget.

Do a little research, see successful posts from other users, don't just ask what to buy, I don't see the point in buying parts for a build if you don't search for what you actually need, others might get offended if they only see basic questions with no background done and might just not answer any of your questions.

Motherboard
Asus z390 maximus xi extreme
CPU
I9-9900k
Graphics
UHD 630
@tutu13 , to answer your questions all I can say is that almost any board can be used for a hackintosh, it all comes down to your skills, well, more your reading and comprehension skills. Everyone starts at the bottom and learns as they go.

I think you should go with whatever hardware you fancy the most, going for a HEDT is a bit redundant at the moment, new 10000 series CPU (e: i7 10700K) for consumer are improving a lot if you ask me and prices are more or less okay.

If you are undecided and are not very skill full I'd suggest going with a "Z" series, perhaps are easier to handle and because they are more "pocket friendly" the community has more content on it. Us lovers of the difficult are a rare breed that likes to kill their brains trying to make things work as intended.

But here are my two recommendations for HEDT: X299X Designare 10G (hard cookie to crack) and X299 ASRock Creator, a little easier but not problem free.

On "Z" chipsets you have plenty to chose, is only limited by your budget.

Do a little research, see successful posts from other users, don't just ask what to buy, I don't see the point in buying parts for a build if you don't search for what you actually need, others might get offended if they only see basic questions with no background done and might just not answer any of your questions.
Firm but fair and well said...took me a week to figure out my Asus z390 Maximus Xi Extreme when it was just a month into the release, feeling phrisky to try the X299 Prime Edition 30 ..Good luck!

Motherboard
CPU
Intel i9-10900X
Graphics
Vega
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hey @dolgarrenan

Thank you for your answer!
Let me provide some more information: I never used clover on this system. I've got one USB stick with your EFI and one with a fresh OC 0.5.9.
I added the compiled RTC0 to ACPI and config.plist
I enabled Above4G Decoding in BIOS
I enabled IncreasePciBarSize in config.plist
I tested the unmodified SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-THUNDERBOLT-SIMPLIFIED.aml
I cleaned the NVRAM
But still the same error:

But I retried your EFI again and it boots. Unfortunately, my Radeon VII has a black screen or the system crashes as soon as the graphics should start :/
What else did you change to get Thunderbolt working?

EDIT:
I checked the logs with your EFI folder and that
IOThunderboltEEPROM::parseDROMData - Failed CRC8 Verification: 0xb != 0xd6
IOThunderboltEEPROM::getDROM - Error getting DROM from I/O Resistry (0xe0000001)

EDIT2:
Do you have these annoying "BIOS crashes" while BIOS boot up or in OpenCore selection that leads to the "Boot Failure detected" -> "Load Optimized Defaults then boot", "Load Optimized Defaults then reboot" and "Enter BIOS"? Do you know how to solve this? Firmware is F3B with your settings.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Z370-a Prime
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
G'day All, and special thanks to @dolgarrenan for this awesome and very informative writeup....

working away to get this build working also, seems to be running quite well though after flashing the modified thunderbolt firmware I've also lost DisplayPort encapsulation.

I've the Gigabyte X299X motherboard with a Radeon VII. prior to flashing I had the monitor plugged into the motherboard TB3.

Post flashing. I no longer have an image, though macOS does detect the USB devices connected to the monitors USB C output. (Speakers, iSight camera, mouse, keyboard etc are all functioning)

any hints in order to reactivate this lost feature?

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Aorus Master
CPU
10980 XE
Graphics
Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+
I don't know if you have two separate 970 EVO or it's just a replica of the same device, but that itself is a problem. Having Windows (unless you are on 0.5.8 n-d-k fork), you won't be able to boot any drive and you will get the error that you are being presented with.

Remove the Windows 10 drive, do a clean BIOS setup (CMOS) and try to boot from the 970 (if there is an EFI inside, or if you have a USB drive with the EFI then it might be just a little tricky if there is any trace of a boot in the main drive), if everything boots fine, then you will have make a OC 0.5.8 n-d-k fork EFI for your system for dual boot.

Reason is because the n-d-k fork has a special quirk to prevent ACPI tables or configuration overall to be loaded onto Windows boot (you don't want to load an SSDT changing IDs and stuff to Windows), that's why you couldn't boot Windows from OC in the first place.

That is the only solution I have found for dual booting on a GB X299X Designare 10G, or for booting anything else. Hope this helps.
I also had Windows on a NVMe and could not get the installer to launch. It would, but would restart after a few seconds.
I pulled the Windows drive, did a CMOS reset botted to the USB stick, but still just resets after 5 seconds.

I am not sure if I am missing some fundamental thing here, I've read through the guides, and several threads. I think I have a handle on the basics, but I still can't get past step one and it's driving me nuts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks