Contribute
Register

GIGABYTE RX 6600 XT - screen goes off on booting Ventura 13.1

@MisterNo
Upload here your zipped EFI folder.
Monitor and PC are connected by DP? or VGA-DP adapter? Which are the ports in the monitor?
What you described was a common issue with Polaris (RX400 & RX500) & Vega (56 &64) series GPU's when they were first released.

This issue was caused by the GPU not being fully initialised and resulted in a black screen error. Some clever bod created a fix to initialise the GPU.

The patch in question was Radeon-DeInit=true, it was added to the Clover Graphics section and required for most if not all Polaris and Vega cards.

OC seems to have done away with this fix. I am not sure if this is because WhateverGreen.kext added the fix during one of its many revisions for the Polaris and Vega cards.

The RX6600/XT cards sometimes require additional DeviceProperties and an SSDT-BRG0.aml table to fix black screen problems. Although with your system you may only need the device properties.

View attachment 562037 RX6600/RX6600XT device properties

Good afternoon everyone, I recently took a Gigabyte RX6600XT to replace the RX580, and I ran into the problem that is described in this thread, the system starts, at the moment when it should show the image to enter the password, just a dark screen, fans continue to spin further, and background noise is heard in the speakers, the monitor shows that there is no signal, and nothing can be done, that is, even if you press the button to restart, the system does not respond, only a complete power off helps, this behavior manifests itself chaotically, that is out of 10 computer starts, two will be with a dark screen, there are from two to 5 starts with a dark screen, in cases when the system starts up and the monitor displays an image, the fans on the video card stop, and the background noise in the speakers disappears, that is, this shows that the system I posted normally, I want to note that this behavior is observed on Monterey 12.6.2 and Ventura 13.2.

Here's what I've tried.
WEG + agdpmod=pikera
WEG + agdpmod=pikera + SSDT-BRG.aml
WEG + agdpmod=pikera + ATY,Henbury
WEG + agdpmod=pikera + ATY,Henbury + SSDT-BRG.aml
Only ATY, Henbury + SSDT-BRG.aml.

All methods did not give the desired result, out of 10 launches, only 4 - 6 have a picture.

According to the observation, the video card does not seem to be initialized.

The video card has 4 outputs, two DP and two HDMI, I connect only via HDMI, as in the monitor, HDMI or VGA outputs.

I attach the EFI folder:

Help with problem solving

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Have you tried switching the display to a different input (VGA) and then switching it back to HDMI. This used to help some users when the display stopped at a black screen.

Проверил, не помогает, пробовал менять подключение через меню монитора, результата не дает, сам провод пробовал переподключать, результата не дает, тоже заметил, что только горит один светодиод на корпусе, что компьютер работает,
I checked it, it doesn’t help, I tried to change the connection through the monitor menu, it doesn’t give any result, I tried to reconnect the wire itself, it doesn’t work, I noticed that only one LED on the computer case is on, that the system is running, and the second LED does not show signs that The system is doing something, as if the system just hung.

Good afternoon everyone, I recently took a Gigabyte RX6600XT to replace the RX580, and I ran into the problem that is described in this thread, the system starts, at the moment when it should show the image to enter the password, just a dark screen, fans continue to spin further, and background noise is heard in the speakers, the monitor shows that there is no signal, and nothing can be done, that is, even if you press the button to restart, the system does not respond, only a complete power off helps, this behavior manifests itself chaotically, that is out of 10 computer starts, two will be with a dark screen, there are from two to 5 starts with a dark screen, in cases when the system starts up and the monitor displays an image, the fans on the video card stop, and the background noise in the speakers disappears, that is, this shows that the system I posted normally, I want to note that this behavior is observed on Monterey 12.6.2 and Ventura 13.2.

Here's what I've tried.
WEG + agdpmod=pikera
WEG + agdpmod=pikera + SSDT-BRG.aml
WEG + agdpmod=pikera + ATY,Henbury
WEG + agdpmod=pikera + ATY,Henbury + SSDT-BRG.aml
Only ATY, Henbury + SSDT-BRG.aml.

All methods did not give the desired result, out of 10 launches, only 4 - 6 have a picture.

According to the observation, the video card does not seem to be initialized.

The video card has 4 outputs, two DP and two HDMI, I connect only via HDMI, as in the monitor, HDMI or VGA outputs.

I attach the EFI folder:

Help with problem solving

Hi.

First thing I would try is to change the Misc/Security/SecureBootModel setting in your config.plist from "j160" to "Disabled".

See if you get any further.

:)

Hello, unfortunately this did not work, on the third reboot a dark screen. :cry:

Now I'll try to add the table SSDT-Radeon_Deint.aml, maybe there will be some result.

Checked, it didn't work either!

Last edited:
Hi, have you fixed it out , i have same problem on gigabit 6600xt after upgraded to 13.3

Hi, have you fixed it out , i have same problem on gigabit 6600xt after upgraded to 13.3

Hello, yes, I fixed the problem, what were the symptoms, I described above, here are the parameters that should be.

1) You need to make a bridge that points to the path to your video card:
Done with SSDT

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 21.21.27.png

Next, you need to register the following parameters in DeviceProperties:

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 21.22.42.png

You don't need - PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable.

AAPL,slot-name - is a mandatory parameter for the AGPM driver to connect!

agdpmod - it disables AGDP autocorrection in the WhateverGreen driver, which could cause a dark screen when using WhateverGreen

and don't forget for WhateverGreen.kext it must be enabled!

Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 21.29.14.png

Now I want to say the main thing, Verbose (-v) must be disabled, it can affect the initialization of the driver, yes, most likely it is a bug, but tests have shown that it sometimes affects, I think that at the moment when the driver initializes the video card, with " -v" it takes more time to do this, from which we get a black screen!

Hello, yes, I fixed the problem, what were the symptoms, I described above, here are the parameters that should be.

1) You need to make a bridge that points to the path to your video card:
Done with SSDT

View attachment 565578

Next, you need to register the following parameters in DeviceProperties:

View attachment 565579

You don't need - PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable.

AAPL,slot-name - is a mandatory parameter for the AGPM driver to connect!

agdpmod - it disables AGDP autocorrection in the WhateverGreen driver, which could cause a dark screen when using WhateverGreen

and don't forget for WhateverGreen.kext it must be enabled!

View attachment 565580

Now I want to say the main thing, Verbose (-v) must be disabled, it can affect the initialization of the driver, yes, most likely it is a bug, but tests have shown that it sometimes affects, I think that at the moment when the driver initializes the video card, with " -v" it takes more time to do this, from which we get a black screen!

with following your post I fixed it out , as you said the key was turning off -v verbose . much thanks !

Back