Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GT 640 Working OOB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought one for my setup.

Needed a VGA port to run my projector on and the CUDA will help a lot in After Effects / Premiere.

So, to be clear, the GTX 650 Ti SuperClocked says the card name also?

Sorry about the misquote, the GT 640 I have is listed correctly and so is the GTX 660, but the GTX 650 Ti gives some off the wall number. I can't remember what it was and I already sent it back because of the loud fan. I now have the long GTX 660 with the same fan as your GTX 650 Ti Boost and it's very quiet.

The number it gave under the description wasn't the chip version, it was some kind of ID number.

Regards

Works except that it's descriptor in "Displays/Graphics" says nVidia 106, which it is. I'm a Windows user primarily and dual boot for the challenge and knowledge of learning Mac software. I help maintain a small group of computers at our retirement community here in AZ. One of them is an iMAC; so, I built a Hackintosh for the fun.
This is the least expensive card to offer SLI, if I ever decide to try that? The EVGA brand off ALL digital outputs (4); while others have a VGA connection instead of a display port. I run 3 monitors all the time; with two always ON. The third is my HDTV for watching movies on my PC.

So, bottom line; it's an excellent investment. For reference, my Win8 index went from 6.9 with the 640 to 7.8 with the 650.

Enjoy

Installing the official drivers is the reported fix for this problem with the ID.

Install the drivers for Mac ML 10.8.2 (I don't know if they have been updated yet) from the nVidia website.

650 is a little off topic and you might want to create a thread for your problem if the drivers don't work.

Having issues "upgrading" with the Gigabyte GT640:

Been running fine with a Gigabyte z77-ds3h rev1.1 / i7 / HD4000 for the past month on 10.8.3.
Edit /extras/org.chameleon.boot.plist to add GraphicsEnabler=no, shutdown
Install GT640
Reboot, system has done the following:
Gray Screen with Apple Logo *or* hang in verbose after NTFS load. (Gives a few Sound Assertion appleHDAcodecGeneric errors too)

I can successfully boot into -x (safe mode), however, when trying different system profiles / disabling the onboard graphics / forcing kernel cache reload / etc... has not resulted in anything.

Though, the 10.8.3 Unibeast USB stick boots up fine on the card. I would really like to upgrade without having to do a flatten/reinstall.

As of now I've restored back in TimeMachine and using onboard in a working config.

Just curious what should be the logical method to upgrade.

Having issues "upgrading" with the Gigabyte GT640:

Been running fine with a Gigabyte z77-ds3h rev1.1 / i7 / HD4000 for the past month on 10.8.3.
Edit /extras/org.chameleon.boot.plist to add GraphicsEnabler=no, shutdown
Install GT640
Reboot, system has done the following:
Gray Screen with Apple Logo *or* hang in verbose after NTFS load. (Gives a few Sound Assertion appleHDAcodecGeneric errors too)

I can successfully boot into -x (safe mode), however, when trying different system profiles / disabling the onboard graphics / forcing kernel cache reload / etc... has not resulted in anything.

Though, the 10.8.3 Unibeast USB stick boots up fine on the card. I would really like to upgrade without having to do a flatten/reinstall.

As of now I've restored back in TimeMachine and using onboard in a working config.

Just curious what should be the logical method to upgrade.

PCIRootUID=0 I will guess you have tried....

Are you using a custom DSDT?

PCIRootUID=0 I will guess you have tried....

Are you using a custom DSDT?

No, using current Multibeast with the typical options for that Mobo as laid out in a few builds:
(http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...gt-640-screen-shot-2012-10-28-11.01.54-am.png)
Mine uses the newer Trim though.

I'll have to post an update when I get home and try a few more methods.

edit: After reading through:

Will check for (and remove)

NVIDIA GeForce Plugin
-Installs NVClockX.kext FakeSMC plugin in /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns

AND

"There are a few options under the FakeSMC Plugin selection. Do Not Select every option under FakeSMC Plugins"

I installed all of them :) and they worked fine until now.

Ok, let it Time-machine restore while I was at work, re-installed bootloader. Here's where it hangs.

Successfully boots into Safe (-x) mode.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    599.7 KB · Views: 296
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back