Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GT 640 Working OOB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I should revive my problem here, in this topic... Any help needed, and appreciated... Totally desperate about this problem of mine...

Hello There,

I want to enable 4 monitor output for asus gt640 (2gd ddr3 model)...

10.8.3 / cartri bios / graphicsenabler=no (and no DSDT)

1. First installed the card - only two outputs available

2. Installed 10.8.3 with latest nvidia drivers and the CUDA driver - three outputs ok, but wont boot with 4 screens, so, i boot with 3 monitors and then after i can plug the 4th monitor, working, but no wake after sleep.

3. So I installed a 8600gt for the 4th monitor - but now experiencing laggy UI because my pci express frequency is now 8x due to dual graphics cards - or the 8600 gt is slightly slower than the gt640

Any solutions? Thanks anyone in advance...

Where was the fourth monitor plugged before the 8600 installation? Why not just get another 640 ($90 US)? Is mirroring turned off?

Thank you for your interest... many thanks

Where was the fourth monitor plugged before the 8600 installation?
It was plugged either to the VGA port or the HDMI port

Why not just get another 640 ($90 US)?
That's an option, but two gt640s will slow down since i cannot use the PCIe lane with 16x bandwidth...

Is mirroring turned off?
By mirroring, do you mean "show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" under displays system prefs should be checked (it's checked right now)? or mirror display options under arrangement (unchecked as for right now)?

And by the way i edited my first post with more details to be more specific... And i can boot windows 7 or 8 with 4 monitors attached, no problems... i am very curious where is the limitation of 3 monitor output or what is causing the problem on Mountain Lion?

thanks again...

Thank you for your interest... many thanks

Where was the fourth monitor plugged before the 8600 installation?
It was plugged either to the VGA port or the HDMI port

Why not just get another 640 ($90 US)?
That's an option, but two gt640s will slow down since i cannot use the PCIe lane with 16x bandwidth...

Is mirroring turned off?
By mirroring, do you mean "show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" under displays system prefs should be checked (it's checked right now)? or mirror display options under arrangement (unchecked as for right now)?

And by the way i edited my first post with more details to be more specific... thanks again...

The 640 only has three ports (DVI-D, DVI-I and mHDMI); at least my card does?????????? Where's the fourth?

Mirroring under arrangement?

The ASUS GT640 2GBDDR3 model has four outputs ; 2 DVI outputs , one HDMI and one VGA...

Let me explain by pictures :

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 4.06.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 4.06.04 PM.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 222
The ASUS GT640 2GBDDR3 model has four outputs ; 2 DVI outputs , one HDMI and one VGA...

Let me explain by pictures :

I have a different card. A single wide, fanless EVGA brand. My retail 640 box says three concurrent monitor support; what does the ASUS say?

Did ASUS say the GPU would sustain four outputs with no loss of bandwidth for the four outputs?

Curious? How do you use your four monitors and how do you notice the lag?

Great picture and that's what I meant on mirroring.

I have a different card. A single wide, fanless EVGA brand. My retail 640 box says three concurrent monitor support; what does the ASUS say?

Did ASUS say the GPU would sustain four outputs with no loss of bandwidth for the four outputs?

Curious? How do you use your four monitors and how do you notice the lag?

Great picture and that's what I meant on mirroring.

Yes. ASUS says you may use it with four outputs, like I can with windows and by booting the hackintosh with 2 dvi outputs and one vga and plugging the 4th output - the hdmi - after the boot process...

The Lag - with the MIssion control - with the gt 640 only (with 3 monitors) - there is no lag - but when i add the 8600 gt for the 4th monitor, there is a significant lag, with the mission control and the UI in general...

I'll now try to boot with the gt640 only - with 4 monitors attached - but i dont think it will be a success - i'll post my findings...

Again and again, thanks for your interest...

Yes. ASUS says you may use it with four outputs, like I can with windows and by booting the hackintosh with 2 dvi outputs and one vga and plugging the 4th output - the hdmi - after the boot process...

The Lag - with the MIssion control - with the gt 640 only (with 3 monitors) - there is no lag - but when i add the 8600 gt for the 4th monitor, there is a significant lag, with the mission control and the UI in general...

I'll now try to boot with the gt640 only - with 4 monitors attached - but i dont think it will be a success - i'll post my findings...

Again and again, thanks for your interest...

I'm an old self taught geezer and really do not have a computer technical background. I dual boot with Win 8 and my Hack. As you say, four monitors works in windows; but I do not know about any delays or lags with it. I normally only have 3 monitors connected; with only two active most of the time. The third is my big screen in my media room (living room, ha). Since the fourth feed is analog; maybe OSX just can't handle it??? Not a clue as to a solution. Maybe someone smarter will answer. Or, maybe you can ask the MAC help line; I understand they will help even with a Hack.

I think there should a modification with some kext's or something... Thank you again for your interest..

I think there should a modification with some kext's or something... Thank you again for your interest..

You're welcome. I got something out of this, though. I'm writing this from the Hack boot; I was in WIN8 before. I had not realized that the 640 would handle three monitors; so, I moved the one DVI connector from the 4000 on board connector to the DVI-I on the 640 and after a change in the bios, here we are. So, thanks. Now, I could do 5 monitors if needed, HA.

Also, you might want to add a signature to your profile to indicate what MB you're using; in case there is a BIOS solution? Or, change your "system" descriptor to what MB you use.

Happy Hacking, Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back