Contribute
Register

GIGABYTE GB-BXi5-4570R brix pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
My box is totally unusable. It gets really hot. SSD above 80C, CPU above 80C and it freezes. I think it is the intel ssd. I will take my system apart and apply this thermal compound ARCTIC MX-4 Carbon-Based Therma . I will also replace the ssd with the crucial m500 as well.

I will let you guys know how much the temperature drops.

Arctic MX-4 didn't make too much of a difference in mine. I am running Windows 8.1. Normal operating temperatures are between 50-70C, but stay in the 80s and peak in the low 90s playing Wii games in Dolphin. My SSD was getting over 70C because Windows was occasionally defragging it, but I removed it from automatic maintenance and added a scheduled TRIM command and it never goes over 70C. My system is rock stable, even when stress testing with 100% usage at 99C with thermal throttling kicked in. Stress tests of the CPU, RAM and Gpu all passed without issues. Intel said peaks under 100C are in spec. My SSD is the Samsung EVO mSATA, and I think Crucial released an updated M550 if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the info. My issue is definitely the ssd it only freezes/reboots when I am doing multiple downloads write operations at the same time. I ordered the crucial m500 and I will give it a try.

Played xcom yesterday and the fan noise was pretty high sounded like an airplane was going to take off. For normal operation like browsing, word processing, watching a video it is pretty quiet.

Thanks for the info. My issue is definitely the ssd it only freezes/reboots when I am doing multiple downloads write operations at the same time. I ordered the crucial m500 and I will give it a try.

Played xcom yesterday and the fan noise was pretty high sounded like an airplane was going to take off. For normal operation like browsing, word processing, watching a video it is pretty quiet.

The m500 seems to sit around 64, peaks at 74? Have no instability so far, I have an m500 SATA in there as well thats nice a cool. Do you have wifi enabled? Could the wifi be heating up and too close to the MSATA?

My CPU sits around 70, and peaks around 98, I think turbo is working up to 2.97, but will not goto 3.2... probably heat related, I wonder if we can replace the cpu color with something a bit better.

You could also look into some thermal tape and small heatsinks, like for stepper motor drivers to put on your MSATA, I know thats pretty hacky, but it might work.

41C to 57C is the idle temps in all the reviews. Idling at 70C is pretty high. What idle fan speed are you guys reporting? I'm idling between 50C and 55C with the fan just under 1100RPM.

I think I am going to try to reapply MX-4 one more time in hopes of nearing that 41C mark. I may have used a touch too much the first time.

I don't see why turbo would be inactive. I don't lose turbo until the cores hit the 90s.

I got my cpus all the way up to 80C by open multiple browser tabs, playing a video in one of them, and doing an app store download. SSD was always at 32C. Fan Speed got close to 3000rpm. After 10 minutes idle CPU temperature was at 59C and fan speed around 1250 rpm. CPU multiplier would change from 8x 792MHz to 30x 2.97GHz.

I think 2.97GHz 30x multiplier is the max and 7 is the min multiplier.

Clover allows you to overwrite the SSDT min and max multiplier in the ACPI section. I have not tried this and I would think I would be able to hit lower fan speed and lower CPU temperature by changing the min multiplier and higher clock speeds by increasing the max multiplier.

In Windows I get multipliers from 8 to 32. Maybe you'll be able to change yours easily.

Mine stays in the high 60s doing things similar to what you mentioned, and the fan runs about where yours idles.

My SSD stays much cooler when the fan ramps up and is hottest at idle.

Maybe I should just leave mine as is, but I still think I can get lower temps with a little less paste.

MaxMultiplier did not change the maximum cpu speed. BusSpeedkHz set to 100000 under CPU section got rid of the odd cpu frequencies. CPU frequencies is now between 800MHz and 3.0GHz

Yes the bus frequency is in config.plist

gtin - Is your SSD SATA or mSATA?

32C seems impossible for mSATA with internal WiFi.
Or is your fan just ramped up that much?

I probably won't repaste my CPU since only Wii EMU on Dolphin pushes my temps up, and I plan to softmod my Wii U's Wii mode to play instead. It's easier for the kids to do by themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back