Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 or ga-z68p-d3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendations on how else to troubleshoot the hardware? I didn't notice anything in the BIOS that controlled the HDMI port, but not sure if there's a setting that I should check.

Thanks again for your help.

I have the z68 b3 and am using onboard audio and i7 chip video. Audio works fine but had resolution issues with video. (ie icons all bunched together in a far off corner of the screen.

Last night my wife was using excel and she said she got a black screen crash. When she reboot it seemed like only the original osx applications were available.

Searched forums but not finding much. Any ideas what issue could. Be?

tk2727 said:
I have the z68 b3 and am using onboard audio and i7 chip video. Audio works fine but had resolution issues with video. (ie icons all bunched together in a far off corner of the screen.

Last night my wife was using excel and she said she got a black screen crash. When she reboot it seemed like only the original osx applications were available.

Searched forums but not finding much. Any ideas what issue could. Be?

Sounds to me like stability problems or defective hardware. Are you overclocking? Have you tested your ram with memtest86+?

Thanks for the suggestion. I am away for business and will try when I get home. Are there any other diagnostic softwares I should run to perhaps narrow down a potential issue?

Can I restore the os using a time machine backup?

tk2727 said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I am away for business and will try when I get home. Are there any other diagnostic softwares I should run to perhaps narrow down a potential issue?

Can I restore the os using a time machine backup?

With general flakiness like that, start off with the basics. Check that your ram is error free, check that the heatsink is making good contact with the cpu and temps are within spec, check that your video card is seated properly, check all PSU connections to the motherboard, etc. Basically, eliminate hardware as the suspect and then you can delve into software issues.

The program I noted above will take care of memory. For stability testing in OSX you can download Prime95 and run the torture test.

First time builder here to share a few experiences. First this forum is awesome so I definitely want to give back!

My hardware in the sig is my next build but my first was this GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mATX for my Mac Mini clone with HD3000 graphics on a i5-2500K. I had some strange moments that some of you may have already experienced, but through diligent research was able to resolve:

1) Unibeast Lion initial boot kept hanging but realized I had my thumb drive in a USB 3.0 slot. Noob mistake and promptly moved to a 2.0 slot. Disabled 3.0 in BIOS for good measure.

2) I was using an Apple keyboard and had the wireless dongle of my mouse in the keyboard USB socket. My Unibeast Lion install would randomly just hang and I got inconsistent messages when I booted in verbose mode. Finally I saw something about a problem with the 3rd USB device. I was like "what 3rd device? I got my keyboard and I got my USB drive." Finally, I noticed my wireless dongle and removed it from my keyboard socket and plugged it directly into my board then voila!

3) Lion install went beautifully at full screen resolution. I ran Multibeast with recommended setting from gold build examples. Half my screen would corrupt during reboot. Only disabling GraphicsEnabler allowed me to boot. Checked "About this Mac" and saw Mac Pro. Went into Multibeast and changed to Mac Mini and that resolved the issue and back to full resolution.

4) Forgot to add my LAN driver from Multibeast so loaded that and again, same graphics problem as above. This time, system was showing as an iMac so changed it again to Mac Mini via Multibeast. Note to self - if I make any changes with Multibeast, make sure to select Mac Mini under definitions.

One last problem for me is that audio works, but the front panel headphones don't. I saw a beta driver in the forums but haven't been able to successfully install. I also haven't tried audio via HDMI but I'm sure there are plenty of advice on these forums.

Thanks to all and keep up the good work!

Did a clean install and all was nice for about a week, same issue happened again, getting new ram, hope that resolves everything

by the way using Carbon Copy is a great tool

tk2727 said:
Did a clean install and all was nice for about a week, same issue happened again, getting new ram, hope that resolves everything

by the way using Carbon Copy is a great tool

Did you ever test out the ram using a diagnostic program? That would eliminate the need for "hope".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back