Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 + Big Sur + Intel Core i7 6700K + Open Core 0.8.0 (Help Needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH Mobo with Thunderbolt 3
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K Processor (4 GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 8 MB cache, LGA1151 Socket Box)
Graphics
Sapphire Pulse Radeon Rx 570 4gb Gddr5 Graphics Card
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I hope this hasn't been answered before, if it has please do point me in the right direction and I'll be happy to read up.

Currently in the middle of a fresh install of Big Sur on a system running the following specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
Intel Core i7 6700K
Sapphire Pulse Radeon Rx 570

I've created a bootable USB flash drive following the instructions and have added all the relevant info to the EFI partition on that drive according to the above hardware setup as best I can from dortania.github.io - skylake

The trouble I'm having is when I boot into the USB, Open Core doesn't seem to display the option to 'Install macOS Big Sur (external)'

I'm only presented with the following options (just to note I already have a windows install on another disk)
1. EFI
2. Windows
3. Reset NVRAM

I've attached the current EFI if anyone might be able to help point out where I might be going wrong (Happy to provide the opencore debug list if that helps)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be warmly received.

Thanks
Dale :)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 174
Hi guys,

I hope this hasn't been answered before, if it has please do point me in the right direction and I'll be happy to read up.

Currently in the middle of a fresh install of Big Sur on a system running the following specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
Intel Core i7 6700K
Sapphire Pulse Radeon Rx 570

I've created a bootable USB flash drive following the instructions and have added all the relevant info to the EFI partition on that drive according to the above hardware setup as best I can from dortania.github.io - skylake

The trouble I'm having is when I boot into the USB, Open Core doesn't seem to display the option to 'Install macOS Big Sur (external)'

I'm only presented with the following options (just to note I already have a windows install on another disk)
1. EFI
2. Windows
3. Reset NVRAM

I've attached the current EFI if anyone might be able to help point out where I might be going wrong (Happy to provide the opencore debug list if that helps)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be warmly received.

Thanks
Dale :)
Hi there,

That shouldn't normally happen. Have you made sure that your USB installer drive is formatted using HFS+ and GUID partitioning and that the EFI folder in EFI partition contains two folders - BOOT and OC? If it was set using MBR mode it will not see the macOS installer. If so you will likely need to reformat the USB installer drive to GUID mode, and re-run the Apple createinstallmedia command in Terminal to create the Big Sur installer.

If you need help with your build, you can have a look at my EFI here for Z170 Skylake
> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...fi-samsung-860-evo-rx550.313767/#post-2257492

Hi there,

That shouldn't normally happen. Have you made sure that your USB installer drive is formatted using HFS+ and GUID partitioning and that the EFI folder in EFI partition contains two folders - BOOT and OC? If it was set using MBR mode it will not see the macOS installer. If so you will likely need to reformat the USB installer drive to GUID mode, and re-run the Apple createinstallmedia command in Terminal to create the Big Sur installer.

If you need help with your build, you can have a look at my EFI here for Z170 Skylake
> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...fi-samsung-860-evo-rx550.313767/#post-2257492
Hi mate, thanks for coming back to me. Re the USB installer drive being formatted using HFS+ and GUID partitioning Pretty sure it is but I've attached screenshots from Disk Utility in case I'm missing something. Also included a screenshot of the mounted EFI partition.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 12.19.34.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 12.19.34.png
    237.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 12.23.05.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 12.23.05.png
    251.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 12.25.35.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 12.25.35.png
    580.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 12.26.37.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 12.26.37.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 52
I will definitely check out your build for your Z170 Skylake once I'm able to get the USB to be recognised by Open Core

Hi there,

Hi mate,

I took a look over your post with your build for Z170 Skylake, not sure if I'm missing something but the 'EFI 11.4 OC 0.6.5 Nvidia' and 'EFI 11.4 OC 0.6.5' seem to be the same? Was keen to see the differences in the build I have using the Radeon Rx 570.

Let me know if I'm missing something or overlooking a glaring difference as I may not have spotted the obvious haha.

Thanks,
Dale

Hi mate,

I took a look over your post with your build for Z170 Skylake, not sure if I'm missing something but the 'EFI 11.4 OC 0.6.5 Nvidia' and 'EFI 11.4 OC 0.6.5' seem to be the same? Was keen to see the differences in the build I have using the Radeon Rx 570.

Let me know if I'm missing something or overlooking a glaring difference as I may not have spotted the obvious haha.

Thanks,
Dale
Hi Dale,

Right. Well to answer your question no they are not the same. The one marked with Nvidia is going to have specific settings, mostly under the Device Properties and NVRAM boot-arg settings for an Nvidia card.

If you are using the Radeon RX570, I'd suggest you try the one marked without Nvidia, and instead use that to build your test EFI. I know that agdpmod=ignore is one setting you can use as a boot-arg for the RX570.

Hi Dale,

Right. Well to answer your question no they are not the same. The one marked with Nvidia is going to have specific settings, mostly under the Device Properties and NVRAM boot-arg settings for an Nvidia card.

If you are using the Radeon RX570, I'd suggest you try the one marked without Nvidia, and instead use that to build your test EFI. I know that agdpmod=ignore is one setting you can use as a boot-arg for the RX570.
Hi mate,

Apologies for the delay coming back to you, I had a family emergency I had to attend to and have been out of action for a while.

Anyway, back at it now and got a chance to do this. I just wanted to update you that I continued to build a test EFI off your recommendation above and got it up and running. There are a few issues such as my soundcard driver keeps uninstalling every time I reboot and a few probs with USB ports not quite working as they should but ultimately things are pretty stable!

Thank you so much for your kind help and hopefully without too much further leg work I can get the small issues above sorted. More research for me!

Really appreciate it
Dale

That's great news! Glad you got it sorted.

As for the soundcard issue, you'll need to check if you have an alcid setting added in your boot-arg.
If not, you could use a layout-id setting under the soundcard's device property list. ie. value set as 1 using Number as Type. For the USB ports you might need a SSDT-UIAC as well as SSDT-EC-USBX enabled and USBInjectAll. With these all set up you then create a new USB map from it - then switch to that instead of USBInjectall. If it works out you should see all the ports.

You're welcome Dale!

That's great news! Glad you got it sorted.

As for the soundcard issue, you'll need to check if you have an alcid setting added in your boot-arg.
If not, you could use a layout-id setting under the soundcard's device property list. ie. value set as 1 using Number as Type. For the USB ports you might need a SSDT-UIAC as well as SSDT-EC-USBX enabled and USBInjectAll. With these all set up you then create a new USB map from it - then switch to that instead of USBInjectall. If it works out you should see all the ports.

You're welcome Dale!
I'm very glad too and it is of huge thanks to you.

That's really interesting regarding your thoughts on the sound card and USB issues. I think I understand what you are referring to and will look into it to see if I can work out what might be missing or what needs to be added.

If you do have time, perhaps I could share my EFI to see if you can instantly spot anything that I might be overlooking? I'm very keen to learn from any guidance you might have,

For now, I'll do some research.

Thanks again,
Dale

Hi, would you like to ask your Thunderbolt 3 driver? I also have the same configuration. Others are perfect, but I can't drive Thunderbolt 3. Can you share one of your efi?
I'm very glad too and it is of huge thanks to you.

That's really interesting regarding your thoughts on the sound card and USB issues. I think I understand what you are referring to and will look into it to see if I can work out what might be missing or what needs to be added.

If you do have time, perhaps I could share my EFI to see if you can instantly spot anything that I might be overlooking? I'm very keen to learn from any guidance you might have,

For now, I'll do some research.

Thanks again,
Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back