Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

So.. i went and tried flashing the TB chip with DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin and still no go! :(
View attachment 517813
View attachment 517814View attachment 517815

The drivers just wont load and the Devices isnt showing up in the device tree.
Strange that the Info page is showing the devices.. but not in IOReg
In BIOS, is Thunderbolt Boot Support set to Boot Once? Have you tried any of the other settings?

Did UAD connect before with earlier version of macOS?

Yes and earlier BIOS versions F10, but then I was using the 3700X. Since I got the 5950X this mobo has been very finicky :)

@CaseySJ Do you by any chance have the original non modded Z390 Designare TB Firmware at hand?
I cant get to mine at the moment.. its being used making music :)

Last edited:
... Do you by any chance have the original non modded Z390 Designare TB Firmware at hand?
But of course!

No sir.. that didnt work.

1. Tested with DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin - No UAD in macOS and Windows.
2. Tested with Gigabyte-Z390-Designare-TB3-ROM.bin - No juice at all - Nothing in Windows and macOS.
3. Reverted back to original B550 FW - Works in Windows - Intermittently in macOS.

Back to squaros unos!

All these were performed with BIOS F13i

Unless someone who has 100% success with UAD stuff, I'd really like to know :) Less "self-idiot-factor".

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Is this normal looking paths? I do use the OWC TB4 Dock here.
Sooo many pci-bridges

I am using the EFI you provided with the include TB3-Hackindrom for B550.

Like i mentioned earlier, it comes on... sometimes.

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 20.16.42.png

@CaseySJ Is this normal looking paths? I do use the OWC TB4 Dock here.
Sooo many pci-bridges

I am using the EFI you provided with the include TB3-Hackindrom for B550.

Like i mentioned earlier, it comes on... sometimes.

View attachment 518110
Yes that topology is okay. It's just a reflection of the manner in which the OWC TB4 dock has defined its on-board devices.

I've finally figured out how to correctly use the Memory section in OC. I decided to work on this since I've now changed to using MacPro7,1 instead of iMacPro1,1 due to the former apparently being a better match for going forward with AMD 6x00XT GPUs.

If you follow this guide carefully, you will not need the kext "RestrictEvents.kext" file, and you will no longer see a memory error. I've only tested in Big Sur, but it should work under Catalina as well.

Here's the memory guide:

OC's "BANK" numbers were re-arranged to better match the memory upgrade instructions per Apples's docs. The Bank numbers in their order of appearance are slots: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1. These correspond to the slot numbers on the memory board. In Apple's docs, the slots are arranged into DIMM Channels, A-F. DIMM Channel A are Banks/slots 7, 8; B are 9,10; C are 11, 12; D are 5, 6; E are 3, 4; and F are 1, 2 (as shown in spoiler below).

If properly arranged, below is what is seen with 8 DIMMs installed on my TRX40 mobo. While most mobos only allow 8 memory slots (and some only allow 4), an actual MacPro7,1 has 12 slots, so our mobos will always have at least 4 slots empty. Now, should you only be using 4 memory sticks, then set to empty the following slots: 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12. In other words, if you are using 4 DIMMs, only slots 4, 6, 7 and 9 will be populated (thanks djlild7hina!).

Note: this does not mean you physically move your DIMMs about on your mobo; this whole process is to map your DIMMs into software locations where the macOS is expecting them to be positioned. Keep your DIMMs physically where the mobo manual recommends.

The code within OC is shown in excerpt below (I use PlistEditPro; the full code is downloadable as an attachment). Add it enbloc as the "Memory" section within the PlatformInfo section (also make sure to enable "CustomMemory"). The SNs are arbitrary (add your actual ones if you're more OCD than me). The part numbers are mine as used, made by Cosair; change these values as you wish. The AssetTag is also arbitrary but only entered if that memory slot is populated. Finally, change the Size and Speed values to better match your DIMM.

If SystemInformation is run, the following is seen:

In the attachment, I included the 8 DIMMs as well as one for 4 DIMMs (4 DIMM verified and fixed by djlild7hina). Inactivate either one with "#" symbol or activate by removing "#" and editing the label heading to "Memory":
View attachment 517163

Attached file fixed for 4 DIMM (6 PM PST on 5/1/21).
Thanks for this! After changing OCC to MacPro7,1 (from iMacPro1,1) I had the same complaints from macOS about having too much memory, despite having a measly 32 GB total. However, my Gigabyte B550 Vision D motherboard only has two DIMM slots filled with DIMMs, and the slots that worked for me are different than what others are reporting.
OCC_0.6.9_Memory.png

Here's a screenshot of my OCC memory profile, in case it helps anyone else.

Thanks for this! After changing OCC to MacPro7,1 (from iMacPro1,1) I had the same complaints from macOS about having too much memory, despite having a measly 32 GB total. However, my Gigabyte B550 Vision D motherboard only has two DIMM slots filled with DIMMs, and the slots that worked for me are different than what others are reporting.
View attachment 518158

Here's a screenshot of my OCC memory profile, in case it helps anyone else.

Thanks. I updated the attachment on my original post to include your findings, so it now covers 2, 4 and 8 DIMM setups for MacPro7,1.

Hi CaseySJ,

I wanted you to know that I've been testing and not been able to run my Ryzen system after making the update to 11.3 on the B550. Something was preventing my system from going further, the furthest being gioscreenlockstate. I tried to use agdpmod=ignore (and some other settings) but that did not work.

So I tried to swap out the card and boot with a GT710 card I had on hand, and that didn't work either. It resulted in two major errors - one is 'Generation from smc report as 2', related to a VirtualSMC issue that can be corrected with -vsmcgen=1 or 2 (to expose it to the system). And the other is X86PlatformPlugin error to do with generateCstates, which I don't have a solution for at the moment. So it looks like I may try to create a USB installer instead from Catalina to run the 11.4 beta.

Back