Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Unfortunately we cannot use virtualization software. I've just added this note to What Doesn't Work section.
Even within macOS?

I am wondering if anyone has had any success connecting their Drobos via Thunderbolt with this build? I have a Drobo 5D which I've used with no issues on previous Z270/Z77 builds (with no firmware needing any mods), but somehow doesn't seem to work with Titan Ridge on TB, even with a OWC TB3 dock attached. USB3 connection works however.

Hello! I have been enjoying my Z390 Gigabyte Designare hack since Sept. 2019. (Thank you CaseySJ.) But my creative interest/profession have lead me to switching my GPU from AMD RX 5700 XT to Nvidia RTX 3090FE. To make use of my fancy GPU, I need to use Windows10. (How I wish Apple and Nvidia would play nice and release Nvidia drivers for mac.)

Recently, I just picked up an AMD Ryzen 5900x CPU! My initial thought was to use the Gigabyte B550 Vision D guide to build a new hack, but the 5900x lacks integrated video. So some questions:
1. If I put a RX 5600 XT in slot 2, would the files/settings found in the Z390 Gigabyte Designare guide to disable the GPU in slot 1 (being my RTX 3090FE) to be seen in macOSX work for the B550 Vision D-P? *side note, Gigabyte B550 Vision D is hard to find/super expensive if available. Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P is available for $300 on Amazon/Newegg.
2. I've never used an AMD CPU. For those that have a 5900x CPU and use the B550 Vision D, is this a good pairing of motherboard and CPU?
3. Would it be easier to just use screen sharing/remote access to view my Z390 Gigabyte Designare hack on my new AMD 5900x Windows 10 PC? I like the idea of running two OS at the same time! I've never used screen sharing extensively, can I just connect an Ethernet cable between the two machines since both have dual Ethernet ports? Is it easy to share files between the two?

My apologies if this is not the best place to ask these questions. The depth of knowledge and great community of users have been really helpful! Thank you in advance!

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-amd-rx-5600-xt.304553

Hello! I have been enjoying my Z390 Gigabyte Designare hack since Sept. 2019. (Thank you CaseySJ.) But my creative interest/profession have lead me to switching my GPU from AMD RX 5700 XT to Nvidia RTX 3090FE. To make use of my fancy GPU, I need to use Windows10. (How I wish Apple and Nvidia would play nice and release Nvidia drivers for mac.)

Recently, I just picked up an AMD Ryzen 5900x CPU! My initial thought was to use the Gigabyte B550 Vision D guide to build a new hack, but the 5900x lacks integrated video. So some questions:
1. If I put a RX 5600 XT in slot 2, would the files/settings found in the Z390 Gigabyte Designare guide to disable the GPU in slot 1 (being my RTX 3090FE) to be seen in macOSX work for the B550 Vision D-P? *side note, Gigabyte B550 Vision D is hard to find/super expensive if available. Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P is available for $300 on Amazon/Newegg.
2. I've never used an AMD CPU. For those that have a 5900x CPU and use the B550 Vision D, is this a good pairing of motherboard and CPU?
3. Would it be easier to just use screen sharing/remote access to view my Z390 Gigabyte Designare hack on my new AMD 5900x Windows 10 PC? I like the idea of running two OS at the same time! I've never used screen sharing extensively, can I just connect an Ethernet cable between the two machines since both have dual Ethernet ports? Is it easy to share files between the two?

My apologies if this is not the best place to ask these questions. The depth of knowledge and great community of users have been really helpful! Thank you in advance!
Okay to answer your questions:

1) Technically the settings for disabling the GPU should work. But you will have to use OpenCore to run your system. As for the motherboard, technically the Vision DP is a newer version of the Vision D except that it doesn't use ECC memory anymore, supports up to 5400MHz DDR4 RAM, and has onboard USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports plus Thunderbolt support. You should be able to use the B500 Vision D guide for this board.

2) On an AMD chipset you must use the AMD Kernels patch to get it working. I have a B550 Vision D fitted with Ryzen 5900X, 64GB DDR4 RAM, a RX6800 GPU and a 1TB WD SN850 SSD. My opinion of this is, this is a great system and yes the pairing is totally compatible - VDA decoding, DRM and HVEC encoding works amazing. The performance of the RX 6800 is also incredible with the 6800 coming 3rd place (20,000+) in r23 Cinebench's historical performance charts. Only issue is you'll need to add patches if you use Adobe software (which can crash on some setups). You'll also need to disable Resizeable Bar too in BIOS for this to work.

3) That could work, but Ethernet sharing directly between two ports may be trickier to achieve.

Once you're at the OpenCore Picker, press and release CMD-V, then select the boot option. Now you'll see detailed boot logs. When the logs stop, please post a photo but:
  • Remove EXIF location information from photo
  • Reduce image size so it's no more than 1 to 1.5 MB2
@CaseySJ Sorry for the Delay, I had to deal with a family member who is very sick atm

Here is the photos from Boot

TDCAM yes Vison DP AMD Board not the intel.

Attachments

• 20210602_182805.jpg
    20210602_182805.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210602_182733.jpg
    20210602_182733.jpg
    949.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210602_182731.jpg
    20210602_182731.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Just reporting some issues I'm having on this board. The AMD Ryzen is not happy playing with Photoshop 2021 even with the patches added. When I come to using the image resizing tool and try to resize an image it strangely crashes.

Okay so another update. I have found that Photoshop 2020 works fine now on the B550 Vision D with the AMD Adobe patches but not Photoshop 2021 - some functions still crash with this. I believe the issue stems from the fact that Photoshop 2021 is designed for the new M1 chip.

** OpenCore 0.7.0 EFI for B550 Vision D **
Supports both Catalina and Big Sur
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Update to OpenCore 0.7.0 using HackinDROM App
Available for both Broadcom WiFi/BT and OpenIntelWireless WiFi/BT

If making manual changes to OpenCore config.plist, please ensure that OpenCore Configurator is set to either 0.7.0 Development Version or 0.7.0 Release Version

This update includes:

1. OpenCore 0.7.0
2. VirtualSMC 1.2.4
3. NVMeFix 1.0.8
4. AppleALC 1.6.1
5. BrightnessKeys 1.0.2
6. RestrictEvents 1.0.2 (added, but not enabled; this is for MacPro7,1 users)
7. New HfsPlus.efi

Changes to config.plist:
  • Misc --> Boot --> LauncherOption has been Disabled. If you have a multi-boot system you may wish to turn this back on (previous setting was Full).
  • EnableVectorAcceleration has been enabled. This is the recommended setting according to OpenCore developers.
  • Misc --> Security --> AllowToggleSIP has been enabled. This is a new feature in OpenCanopy 0.7.0 that allows us to toggle SIP on and off from the OpenCanopy Picker. Press spacebar to reveal additional options, then click Toggle SIP icon.

If using OpenCore Configurator, please ensure it is set to 0.7.0 Development Version or 0.7.0 Release Version.

For manual update purposes, the ZIP file is attached below.

Attachments

• EFI-070-B550-VISION-D.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
@CaseySJ Any luck on my open core error code jpegs I posted last week?

Thanks in Advance
Oh yes, let's get back to this. First, a recap. Please correct any statements below and provide answers:
  • This is the Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P board that features an Intel 2.5GbE port.
  • You are trying to install macOS Big Sur 11.3 official release?
  • In BIOS, Resizable BAR support has been disabled?
  • What is the make/model of your NVMe SSD?
  • What is the make/model of your GPU?
  • Which WiFi/BT module are you using?
    • The standard Intel AX200 module that came pre-installed?
    • The Broadcom BCM94360NG module?
    • Something else?

Back