Contribute
Register

Giacomoleopardo's Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WiFi Build for DB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also thank Giacomoleopardo his work in the preparation of this guide and its willingness to help the less experienced.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, with 67 pages of posts, I honestly can't say what differences are between our two methods! After reading Bittermelon's op, though, I noticed that he didn't used dsdt, nor ssdt to optimize the entire system. That said, he did this about nine months ago, and was a great job at that time!
Now things are a little bit changed, and thanks to a lot of skilled members of this and other forums, we are really close to a real mac system. I mean usb3, Ivy Bridge Power Management, Graphics Power Management, sleep, autosleep, Airplay, mirroring are fully functional, and all of this without adding a single kext (besides AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext to check cpu pstates, or AppleHDA.kext for audio and Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx for LAN). That means safer System Updates than ever!
Also, I tried to explain why I did all those steps, in order to make the noob user understand something more than a mere procedure.

Thanks, I think I'll bust out another HD and see if I like this method better.

Giacomoleopardo's Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WiFi sleep problem

Thanks for all your help in the start of this thread. I built a system using the GA-Z77 wifi board + an i7 3770k and I did an install of 10.8.4 using Unibeast

I am using an nvidia zotac gt 240 card and have gotten most things working

I am having problems with the auto sleep function and see the same problem when I choose "sleep" from the Apple menu

My mouse has a red light when it gets power from the computer and it has helped me to understand what is going on

"Sleep" menu problem

Choosing "Sleep" makes the cpu fan spin down and the red mouse light goes off and the display sleeps.

If I then press a key the cpu fan starts up and the mouse lights up but the display does NOT wake up

The mouse that I have has a red light and it does come on.

Auto sleep problem

Autosleep does work partially, if I set the sleep time to 1 minute I can see that after a minute the dispaly goes to sleep but my mouse stays lit and the cpu fan is spinning. After a few minutes the mouse light goes out and the cpu fan stops spinning. Pressing a key starts the CPU fan and lights up the mouse but the display does not turn on.

The system seems to go into a deep sleep from which the mouse and CPU fan seem to wake up but the video computer does not wake up.

...any usb device plugged seems to be disconnected (and auto reconnected)....

What is the problem in that? Can you please explain?
I have the same build.

I think because it takes a few moments before the keyboard or mouse will respond.

If you have a USB Bluetooth dongle, some will not even re-pair until after you log in, which means if you use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, you would need a regular keyboard to log in. Then you can use your Bluetooth peripherals.

I have the Z77N and it is annoying how the USB disconnects upon wake from sleep.

What is the problem in that? Can you please explain?
I have the same build.
I think because it takes a few moments before the keyboard or mouse will respond.

If you have a USB Bluetooth dongle, some will not even re-pair until after you log in, which means if you use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, you would need a regular keyboard to log in. Then you can use your Bluetooth peripherals.

I have the Z77N and it is annoying how the USB disconnects upon wake from sleep.

It's not like that... bluetooth works well (magic mouse and keyboard take 3 to 5 secs to work), but if you have a usb flash drive or usb hdd, after wake from sleep this message will appear (this is in italian, but I guess you can understand)
56476-usb-asmedia.png
but the drive still appears on desktop, so it disconnects and reconnects by itself

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not like that... bluetooth works well (magic mouse and keyboard take 3 to 5 secs to work), but if you have a usb flash drive or usb hdd, after wake from sleep this message will appear (this is in italian, but I guess you can understand)
56476-usb-asmedia.png
but the drive still appears on desktop, so it disconnects and reconnects by itself

Yes I have the same error with external drives. But my USB Bluetooth has the symptoms I describe above. I followed your guide hoping I could fix this problem but it still does it. I think I may buy an ASRock motherboard like your other build to see if I have better results. I miss using my Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad and Apple Wireless Keyboard.

PS: I am using a password to log into Mountain Lion. If I don't use password and just let it log in automatically, the Bluetooth problem is like yours and reconnects after 5 seconds. But using password to log in, I cannot type my password on Bluetooth KB and have to use regular USB KB to type password.

Last edited by a moderator:
My current specs are almost identical to this build with the exception of the processor being a i5-3570K

I'm having difficulty getting Ivy Bridge Power Management working properly having done everything in this tutorial to a T. Maybe I'm missing something though.

On boot I get the following which I find strange..

Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformPlugin::setRingTable - AICPM failed to load ring table with status 0x0: Get=0, Load=0, Install=0
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformPlugin::configResourceHandler - Failed to set ring table!
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendCStates - PMIOCSETCSTATE result 0xffffffff for state C1
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendCStates - PMIOCSETCSTATE result 0xffffffff for state C3
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendCStates - PMIOCSETCSTATE result 0xffffffff for state C6
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send CStates
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendPStates - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATETABLE) returned 0xffffffff
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send PStates
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendStepper - failed to set initial p-state to P0 (-1)
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: [IOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDACodecGeneric at line 360
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::loadStepperContext - pmCPUControl (pmioctlPStateContext_t) failed, result = 0xffffffff
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendStepper - Failed to load normal stepper dictionary!
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x.local configd[17]: network changed: DNS*
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x.local mDNSResponder[45]: D2D_IPC: Loaded
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x.local mDNSResponder[45]: D2DInitialize succeeded
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::loadStepperContext - pmCPUControl (pmioctlPStateContext_t) failed, result = 0xffffffff
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendStepper - Failed to load normal stepper dictionary!
Jul 7 20:21:13 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send stepper
Jul 7 20:21:14 MacB0x kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::propertyChangedHandler - Error: pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETVARVALUE) returned 0xffffffff

and also when I check to see if Speed Stepping is occurring it only gives like two P-States?

one command of cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:"

outputs:

Jul 7 22:21:20 localhost kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 16 34 ]

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Thanks for all your help in the start of this thread. I built a system using the GA-Z77 wifi board + an i7 3770k and I did an install of 10.8.4 using Unibeast

I am having problems with the auto sleep function and see the same problem when I choose "sleep" from the Apple menu

My mouse has a red light when it gets power from the computer and it has helped me to understand what is going on

"Sleep" menu problem

Choosing "Sleep" makes the cpu fan spin down and the red mouse light goes off and the display sleeps.

If I then press a key the cpu fan starts up and the mouse lights up but the display does NOT wake up

The mouse that I have has a red light and it does come on.

...The system seems to go into a deep sleep from which the mouse and CPU fan seem to wake up but the video computer does not wake up.

I had to edit the org.chameleon.boot.plist file and change the "darkwake=0" line to "darkwake=10". I went insane trying to figure this out but it was out there. Good luck, let me know if this fixes the issue for you!

I tried using darkwake=10 but it didn't work at all.

I also tried DSDT=no during boot up and all the sleep functions worked! i don't know why this worked but it did. I guess I will rerun Multibeast and won't use a DSDT.

BTW Giacomoleopardo, is the DSDT file in the tonmacx86 database the same as the one that you generate in using your installations steps? I used the DSDT file downloaded from tonymacx86 and sleep does not work using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back