Contribute
Register

Giacomoleopardo Silent MacMini 6,2 | Step by step guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW I thought it could be a hardware issue, so I installed windows 8 - such an awful experience LOL.

installed intel drivers under win8 and all is good.

Also if I deleted the Intel4k kext it boots fine, so it's definately the display driver that is causing it.

@Giacomoleopardo

You wrote in Post #3 and also in your other Zotac-build

NOTE: in my IOReg AGPM shows max value=0x10 and min value=0x0. Now, hex 0x10 correspond to dec 16 (not 18 as inserted in plist, I don't know why it happens, maybe CPU i7 3770S doesn't reach hex 12, that is a mistery to me!)

I'm using an original Mac Mini i7 2,3 GHz (end 2012) and it also shows in IOReg AGPM a max value=0x10 and min value=0x0. Maybe it has something to do with the system definition (macmini6,2) that it only shows these values and not with the internal GPU. Even with my i5-3570K (see sig) there are the same settings.

And in the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext (of the i7 Mac Mini) there aren't any power-states mentioned (max and min). Why it is necessary for doing that?

Thanks in advance
Huberer

Hi Nate,
no idea why it's not working. It is always possible you have messed up your build and perhaps is a good idea to try a clean install, when possible without the gtx 670 installed and then retry with my extra folder.
What are all this NTFS reference in the log?
Can you be more specific with your build. Amount of ram, wifi or ethernet etc..

Wow. Thanks for the hand holding.

1. I booted in safe mode (-x)

2. Replaced the /Extra folder in the .zip

3. Rebuilt Cache/Repair permission for both /E and /S/L/E using Kext Wizard

4. Rebooted

5. Liked you're theme :)

6. Spinning Logo

I can see the kext loading (logged in via SSH) so the DSDT mods worked:
<code>
bash-3.2# kextstat |grep HD4000
71 0 0xffffff7f8186f000 0x6b000 0x6b000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000Graphics (8.0.0) <70 62 10 7 5 4 3 1>
</code>

7. Got sick of it so rebooted in verbose (picture attached)

Thanks for your help mate.

You have no kext in Extra/Extension so you don.t need to rebuild the cache for extra with kext wizard and is better tu repair permissions with disk utility than with kext wizard. Have you installed chimera 2.x and set the bios as I suggest, because you don't mention it?

Hey couple questions, what are the necessary edits (to DSDT?) to be able to do away with the USB3 kexts? Also, is there any way to get the App Store to work WITHOUT the modified IONetworking? I don't use my ethernet ports, so I couldn't care less whether they actually work or just show up as internal for the App Store to work, and it would save me a kext that needs to be replaced on each update.

Hey couple questions, what are the necessary edits (to DSDT?) to be able to do away with the USB3 kexts? Also, is there any way to get the App Store to work WITHOUT the modified IONetworking? I don't use my ethernet ports, so I couldn't care less whether they actually work or just show up as internal for the App Store to work, and it would save me a kext that needs to be replaced on each update.
Take a look at the PJALM's AIO patch, usb3 edits are titled as "Intel z77 USB2/USB3 Multiplexing Fix". This edit works for Intel usb 3 controller, though. To make asmedia controller working you'll need Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext (Universal usb3.0 from MultiBeast). AppStore will work with WiFi (if you have a working wifi card, of course), but in my case I need to log in with ethernet just for the first log, then wifi will do the job. I don't know if it's just my issue or a general one.
Anyhow: is really replacing a kext such a big deal to you?
Please post results if you can log into iMessage just with WiFi connection. Thx
G

@Nate & @Ginger,
can you post a zipped copy of your current EXTRA folder?

Thanks Flicka. I'll try sending it by tomorrow.

Ginger

Gia, thanks for the reply

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure that if the 'no longer needed' in the OP meant that the kexts had been replaced with the GenericUSBXHCI or no kext was needel altogether.

I like to use the least amount of kexts necessary, once I have this running 100% I plan to move to Clover to be more future-proof. It's not that big of a deal to replace the kext, but I'd rather do without it. What I wonder is how the laptops without ethernet are able to work...

I did a fresh install, because I was having issues (I could only boot with -x, not even with -f). Sadly, I'm still having that issue. The installer created by Unibeast will boot fine, boot even using the same config (i.e. selecting the USB drive from my UEFI boot prompt and then selecting my fresh install from chameleon's boot screen) I'm unable to boot my fresh install without -x; it just hangs, no KP or anything, right around where one would expect the display to kick in (booting with -v) it just stops. This makes me think that it's due to some kext that gets loaded by the full fledged OS but not by safe mode or the more basic (I assume) installer environment. I'm going to try once more and then upload my logs, etc.

EDIT: I'm attaching my files. Includes /Extra folder, console dump from successful -x boot, picture + video of failed 'normal' boots. View attachment adriangb.zip

EDIT 2: may be overkill, but just in case I'm attaching a DarwinDumper dump.View attachment DarwinDumper_2.7.8_Chameleon_2.1_ML_adri.zip

Gia, thanks for the reply

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure that if the 'no longer needed' in the OP meant that the kexts had been replaced with the GenericUSBXHCI or no kext was needel altogether.

I like to use the least amount of kexts necessary, once I have this running 100% I plan to move to Clover to be more future-proof. It's not that big of a deal to replace the kext, but I'd rather do without it. What I wonder is how the laptops without ethernet are able to work...

I did a fresh install, because I was having issues (I could only boot with -x, not even with -f). Sadly, I'm still having that issue. The installer created by Unibeast will boot fine, boot even using the same config (i.e. selecting the USB drive from my UEFI boot prompt and then selecting my fresh install from chameleon's boot screen) I'm unable to boot my fresh install without -x; it just hangs, no KP or anything, right around where one would expect the display to kick in (booting with -v) it just stops. This makes me think that it's due to some kext that gets loaded by the full fledged OS but not by safe mode or the more basic (I assume) installer environment. I'm going to try once more and then upload my logs, etc.

EDIT: I'm attaching my files. Includes /Extra folder, console dump from successful -x boot, picture + video of failed 'normal' boots. View attachment 62291

EDIT 2: may be overkill, but just in case I'm attaching a DarwinDumper dump.View attachment 62296
Hey Adrian,
here's the "kext" deal:
  • for Intel usb3 controller the dsdt will do the job
  • for Asmedia usb3 controller you'll need GenericUSBXHCI (which, by the way, makes intel controller working as well)
  • for Ethernet (Broadcom) you'll need edited IONetworkingFamily.kext
  • for WiFi you'll need a wifi card OSX compatible (the one that came along the mobo is not)
For your -x issue, I'd try a fresh install without GTX 760 (using integrated HD4000) following the guide. If you'll have success, then try to install and boot with GTX 760 (remember to add GraphicsEnable=No to boot flag) then if it doesn't work anymore, at least you'll know that the issue is related to the graphic card. I must say: I'm not confident neither with GTX 760 nor with Clover (I wonder if you've used Chimera or Chameleon - which release?).
Furthermore: I saw 2560x1440x32 as Graphics Mode in your org.chameleon: is that correct? I mean, are you using that res display?
Maybe you can find something interesting here.
Please post results! :thumbup:

Hey Adrian,
here's the "kext" deal:
  • for Intel usb3 controller the dsdt will do the job
  • for Asmedia usb3 controller you'll need GenericUSBXHCI (which, by the way, makes intel controller working as well)
  • for Ethernet (Broadcom) you'll need edited IONetworkingFamily.kext
  • for WiFi you'll need a wifi card OSX compatible (the one that came along the mobo is not)
For your -x issue, I'd try a fresh install without GTX 760 (using integrated HD4000) following the guide. If you'll have success, then try to install and boot with GTX 760 (remember to add GraphicsEnable=No to boot flag) then if it doesn't work anymore, at least you'll know that the issue is related to the graphic card. I must say: I'm not confident neither with GTX 760 nor with Clover (I wonder if you've used Chimera or Chameleon - which release?).
Furthermore: I saw 2560x1440x32 as Graphics Mode in your org.chameleon: is that correct? I mean, are you using that res display?
Maybe you can find something interesting here.
Please post results! :thumbup:

Thanks for clarifying the kext thing. I have an original AirPort card, so it works OOB. I wonder if it can be added in the DSDT and work instead of ethernet to fix the app store issue, but I'll leave that for later.

Thing is, my only display is a Korean PLS (like IPS) 27" 2560x1440 monitor. It won't work with the iGPU, which means I have to take my rig to my neighbors (who is a friend so he's been letting me use his HDTV for this kind of thing). This means that I can get access to a normal monitor that I can use with the iGPU -but it's a royal PITA. I'm testing with a 100% clean install right now. I've been trying both the latest Chameleon build and Chimera, but I get the exact same results with both.

As for the GTX 760: AFAIK it's almost identical to the GTX 680, which is supported natively. As per that thread you linked, and according to what tony has to say (http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...7xx-kepler-cards-work-graphicsenabler-no.html), I should be good to go with GE=No. It should work just like a GTX 680/GTX 660 Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back