Contribute
Register

Giacomoleopardo Silent MacMini 6,2 | Step by step guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much for the guide, i have pretty much exactly the same setup as you and followed your guide to create all my own parts and have a successfully stepping 10.8.4 install.

HD4000
Z77E-ITX

A few additions that I required to make things a bit easier

1. I didn't have the wifi card installed so the first step after ML install was to kextbeast the network kext so that I could reference the DSDT repos.

2. Before using ssdtPRGen, you will need to install multibeast disk>IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector so that the script runs correctly (cant find root otherwise) - I thought this would have been included in the Asrock DSDT file but not apparently.

3. Make sure to remember to rename the ssdt file in the extra folder, otherwise it is a waste of time!!!

4. As I read your guide, I assume that HD4000 PM is included in 10.8.4 so I don't need to follow that part?

I did not set darkwake=10, had no problems, what is the reason for this? Am I missing something?

Now that I am fully installed, I don't know what to do with myself. Much happier with this small machine than the tower I had before.

EDIT:

It appears that no matter what I set my ssdt to, my speedstep only records pstates 16 24 30 35 37 38 40.

I have set overclocks to 4200 and 4600 and I am getting no change in speed in geekbench

Any advice?

2. Before using ssdtPRGen, you will need to install multibeast disk>IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector so that the script runs correctly (cant find root otherwise) - I thought this would have been included in the Asrock DSDT file but not apparently.
No need for that! This is quite strange.

3. Make sure to remember to rename the ssdt file in the extra folder, otherwise it is a waste of time!!!
Thanks, post#2 updated!

4. As I read your guide, I assume that HD4000 PM is included in 10.8.4 so I don't need to follow that part?
Yes, no need to do that! :thumbup:

I did not set darkwake=10, had no problems, what is the reason for this? Am I missing something?
If sleep, autosleep and wake from sleep work, then leave it =0.

It appears that no matter what I set my ssdt to, my speedstep only records pstates 16 24 30 35 37 38 40.

I have set overclocks to 4200 and 4600 and I am getting no change in speed in geekbench

Any advice?
That's quite strange too: I would double check bios values then ask to PikeRAlpha here

Even more strange, no matter what I set my max ratio to (for 1 or more cores) it still says 4200 on the home page of the bios, me thinks there is something amiss with my bios settings? Why when I update, save and re enter, does my clock rate not appear to change?

Also, with any clock higher than 4200, geekbench gives a weird (105mhz) for my clock speed.

It is as if nothing wants me to push past 4200.

I just deleted the darkwake key and string and am having no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the reply, I will keep testing and see what PikeRAlpha can help with.

Hi giacomoleopardo, I have seen your build on the forum and I have to congratulate you for the work behind it , especially when editing the dsdt , still unexplored field for me.
Since you're so experienced , I would like to know from you whether in a build like that with Asrock motherboard , it would be possible to install a msata disk where I can install the operating system with the bootloader and use a normal hard drive for data.
Thank you, bye.

Hi giacomoleopardo, I have seen your build on the forum and I have to congratulate you for the work behind it , especially when editing the dsdt , still unexplored field for me.
Since you're so experienced , I would like to know from you whether in a build like that with Asrock motherboard , it would be possible to install a msata disk where I can install the operating system with the bootloader and use a normal hard drive for data.
Thank you, bye.
Yes, of course it's possible! Be aware that msata in this board is sata II (3 Gb/s), though. I would go for an SSD sata III (6 Gb/s) connected to one of the two sata III ports. Your choice.

Thank you for reply.
The speed of the disk is not my primary goal, because I'll make a 24h power on server for file sharing, iTunes share and other basic function.
So I'll use the ssd only for separate operating system from data on separate hdd. In a second time I'll put another hdd for raid system.
I think that I'll use a small (30 gb) capacity msata ssd.
From this point of view, the zotac or the gigabyte motherboard are better?
Thanks a lot, and sorry for my poor English, I'm Italian.

Thank you for reply.
The speed of the disk is not my primary goal, because I'll make a 24h power on server for file sharing, iTunes share and other basic function.
So I'll use the ssd only for separate operating system from data on separate hdd. In a second time I'll put another hdd for raid system.
I think that I'll use a small (30 gb) capacity msata ssd.
From this point of view, the zotac or the gigabyte motherboard are better?
Thanks a lot, and sorry for my poor English, I'm Italian.

Well, I'm Italian too, your english is pretty good to me, don't worry! :D
GA Z77N WiFi doesn't have msata, and Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi has msata @ 3Gb/s like Asrock has. So they're pretty much the same. I prefer ASRock, but it's just a very personal opinion, both of them are fine boards. Just a tip: mini DisplayPort on Zotac doesn't support Apple Cinema Display, while display port on ASRock does. Just in case you're planning to use ACD.

Yes, I know you're Italian too! :)
I think I'll take the asrock, but what do you think of construction quality of this motherboard?
I don't use Apple display at this moment, but never say never! ;)
I would use a picopsu for the power (i have one for my old atom motherboard, but i think that is undersized) and I don't want waste my money for another, I think I'll take a Seasonic G-360 that has enough power for my needs and costs half.
I hope tha the power consumption is good in the same way.
giacomoleopardo thanks for your suggestions! Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back