Contribute
Register

Getting Moutain Lion on USB from old mid-2007 MacBook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H77N-Wifi
CPU
Core i5 3350p
Graphics
MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I would like to install ML on my new Desktop Hackintosh. It's empty for now (no OS installed).
ML cannot be downloaded from the mac app store with my old macbook from mid-2007. However, i still have my download of Lion in my macbook, but it was for an older hackintosh. Is there any other solution apart from installing Lion on my PC, and from there buying Mountain Lion and install again ?

Thanks

Do you have any friends who have new Mac? Visit him and log into app store with your apple id. Buy ML. After that you'll be able to download it with your older Mac. I've tested this with my old iMac which is able to run Lion but not ML anymore. ML however is downloadable.

I just tried to do follow the tonymac guide to install lion with the installer i have in my macbook. I used unibeast to make the bootable USB. It booted but after i selected "USB" at boot screen, the system reboots... (i also tried with -x and GraphicsEnabler=no). I tried to make the bootable USB with and without legacy USB support (GA H77N-Wifi) as i didn't know what is sound with this motherboard. So, now i'm trying an install from scratch, Snow leopard from the original DVD.

Any idea why the bootable USB for Lion caused a reboot after booting on "USB" ?

Do you have any friends who have new Mac? Visit him and log into app store with your apple id. Buy ML. After that you'll be able to download it with your older Mac. I've tested this with my old iMac which is able to run Lion but not ML anymore. ML however is downloadable.

No i haven't, they're all Windows or have the same macbook.

I just tried to do follow the tonymac guide to install lion with the installer i have in my macbook. I used unibeast to make the bootable USB. It booted but after i selected "USB" at boot screen, the system reboots... (i also tried with -x and GraphicsEnabler=no). I tried to make the bootable USB with and without legacy USB support (GA H77N-Wifi) as i didn't know what is sound with this motherboard. So, now i'm trying an install from scratch, Snow leopard from the original DVD.

Any idea why the bootable USB for Lion caused a reboot after booting on "USB" ?

No i haven't, they're all Windows or have the same macbook.

When you created the Lion USB installer, did you run BridgeHelper on it before using it to install?

When you created the Lion USB installer, did you run BridgeHelper on it before using it to install?

At first attempt i did not. Reading more about it i fixed that and it worked. But i had to use the older unibeast 1.4.0 and bridgehelper 4 otherwise i could not see my HDD. I also had to do the mach_kernel swap between the 2 volumes (USB and Lion disk).

But i made a terrible mistake, i purchased ML from the Lion Mac app store, and my USB was unstable so i did the 10.7.5 update. And then i could not boot anymore. So I re-installed Lion again, to try to fix the USB with multibeast instead of update to 10.7.5... and guess what... i cannot re-download ML, i have to pay again !! How come ????? How do people do with a Lion iMac if they have to re-install ML after some crash or a change of HDD ???

At first attempt i did not. Reading more about it i fixed that and it worked. But i had to use the older unibeast 1.4.0 and bridgehelper 4 otherwise i could not see my HDD. I also had to do the mach_kernel swap between the 2 volumes (USB and Lion disk).

But i made a terrible mistake, i purchased ML from the Lion Mac app store, and my USB was unstable so i did the 10.7.5 update. And then i could not boot anymore. So I re-installed Lion again, to try to fix the USB with multibeast instead of update to 10.7.5... and guess what... i cannot re-download ML, i have to pay again !! How come ????? How do people do with a Lion iMac if they have to re-install ML after some crash or a change of HDD ???

Are you using the app store icon on the dock to get to the app store? It should not charge you a second time if you already bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back