Contribute
Register

Getting 650ti working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Z68XP-UD3. I just reinstalled my OS last night and it installed very easily. I used Bimmer's meathod (http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...78875-getting-650ti-working-5.html#post489880). I have a UEFI BIOS and all I had to do was use the PCIRootUID=0 and -v to see what was happening. I need to adjust the settings with MB to get it booting without the flash drive. (It was late last night and didn't have a lot of time) I also made sure to use a USB 2 port for the install. Was having a strange issue with a USB3 port. It would just reboot when loading the installer. Not sure if this is helpful for you but I didn't really need to do anything special other than downloaded ML and did the driver tweak in the link above with the newest nvidia drivers. Do you think it is a Zotac issue?

Hi Guys,

I have the 1gb version of the 650 ti.

If I use mac 3.1 it works fine but at low settings. Os, movies, youtube, even photoshop works ok. But it launch a game (eve online) it has problems. This is how i found out it wasnt working at full settings.

If I use another ident like 5,1 or imac 12 i get stuck at AGPM error.

I have the Z68XP-UD3. I just reinstalled my OS last night and it installed very easily. I used Bimmer's meathod (http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...78875-getting-650ti-working-5.html#post489880). I have a UEFI BIOS and all I had to do was use the PCIRootUID=0 and -v to see what was happening. I need to adjust the settings with MB to get it booting without the flash drive. (It was late last night and didn't have a lot of time) I also made sure to use a USB 2 port for the install. Was having a strange issue with a USB3 port. It would just reboot when loading the installer. Not sure if this is helpful for you but I didn't really need to do anything special other than downloaded ML and did the driver tweak in the link above with the newest nvidia drivers. Do you think it is a Zotac issue?

Update on this . . . So, I am wondering if my HD is not this issue. It is a refurb 750 from Seagate. I have the drive formatted and installed the OS. I install the new graphics driver and the MB tweaks. (didn't do a different profile at all). The OS loaded at first from the UniBeast drive but after the MB tweaks it will not start now. I am kind of back at square one. Trying to see if just installing the OS as it is without the graphics driver tweak works just for fun. Most puzzling I must say.

Is it necessary to re-run Multibeast and/or Unibeast in order to get the drivers to work?
I find myself having some issues as the only thing I did was to simply install the drivers, and of cours installing the kexts mentioned by some users.
As soon as I reboot, however, I get the white apple screen and then a black screen. Onboard works just fine of course. Can anybody help me out with this one?

Personally, I didn't really have to run it again. I found that the OSX installation was fine and only ran Mulitbeast once. I made sure I did the graphics driver patch first before the install. I have had a steady build now since my last post. Runs fast even on a regular WD Black HD.

Just to get that right:

You installed the patches and THEN ran Multibeast? If so, did you imply any specific settings concerning the Video card?

Correct, you need to install the patches (removing the Nvidia drivers and putting the new ones in) after you create the Unibeast install drive. Then install the OS. After that run Multibeast. I also booted to the flags: -v GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x3000 (just to be on the safe side) Other people can comment on this if they want.

This is the guide I got from earlier in this thread when it comes to the drivers hack:

Ok, but I'm not very good at writing guides, so hopefully you can follow along. You will only need this until 10.8.3 comes out, the drivers should be included then. First, you will need the 2 programs i attached and the NVidia Drivers, found here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html

Install the 2 programs.

Right click on the NVidia Drivers .dmg, open with Pacifist
In Pacifist, click on "Contents of webDriverPayload_jLhsf.pkg" then click "Extract to" I put mine in a folder called NVidia on my desktop.
Run "ShowAllFiles" click Show.
Open the Unibeast USB in finder. You should see more files and folders now.
Open the folder System, then Library, then Extensions. You will need to delete the NVidia drivers in this folder, delete the following: NVDAGF100Hal.kext, NVDAGK100Hal.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext
Open your folder with the new NVidia .kexts in it, copy them to the S/L/E folder. Now make sure you can see the Extensions folder, it will make the next step easier.
Open Terminal, type "sudo-s" enter
enter your password
type "sudo chmod -R 755" press the space bar once, to leave a space after 755, now, drag the "Extensions folder" onto Terminal, it should type the path for you. press enter.
type "sudo chown -R root:wheel" press the space bar once, to leave a space after wheel, now, drag the "Extensions folder" onto Terminal, it should type the path for you. press enter.
type "sudo touch" press the space bar once, to leave a space after touch, now, drag the "Extensions folder" onto Terminal, it should type the path for you. press enter.
type "exit"
type "exit"
close terminal
Open "ShowAllFiles" click Hide.

Now boot with your Unibeast install with the New NVidia drivers. Remember to boot with "GraphicsEnabler=No" and to install the NVidia drivers after you run Multibeast. Just use the NVidia installer. Reboot your computer, and you should be good to go!!!

So my original setup was a GA-Z77N-WIFI with an i5-3570K and an EVGA GT640. Got the GT640 working OOTB with Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Decided to get an EVGA GTX650 Ti. When I plugged it in and rebooted, I got grey apple loading screen, then a kernel panic before desktop.

What I did was
1. Put the GT640 back in and booted back in 10.8.2
2. Get the Mac 10.8.2 drivers from NVidia as described
http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html
3. My SMBIOS profile was iMac12,2 which meant the drivers wouldn't install so I followed m2002briguy's post
3.1 Mount "Retail-304.00.05f02-macosx.dmg"
3.2 Drag "304.00.05f02 Web Release" to the desktop
3.3 Right Click "304.00.05f02 Web Release" and "get info"
3.4 Make sure you have read/write access and close info window
3.5 Right Click "304.00.05f02 Web Release" again and "Show Package Contents"
3.6 Go to Contents > "Distribution.dist" and open with "Text Edit"
3.7 Find the Line var system_models = ["MacPro3,1", "MacPro4,1", "MacPro5,1"];
and replace it with var system_models = ["iMac12,1", "MacMini4,1", "MacPro3,1"];
this should work for iMac 12,1 MacMini4,1 and MacPro3,1
3.8 Save, Exit, Install Package
4. I shut down, popped the GTX650Ti in and rebooted and no more kernel panic. Back to the desktop!
5. EVGA GTX 650 Ti shows correctly in "About this Mac"
I didn't have to remove any kexts or do anything else. The one thing I'm not sure about is if I have to install the CUDA drivers.

Seems that consensus is that the NVidia drivers that came out after the 10.8.2 update support some of the mid to higher end Kepler cards.

Hopefully the 10.8.3 update will contain these drivers and we'll be able to create a Unibeast install without having to hack this NVidia driver update into the 10.8.2 install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back