Contribute
Register

GA-Z87X-UD7 TH available mid September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished my build - I'm still using the Broadcom wireless and IOGear BT because they worked. I will probably do more research into kexts for the Intel 7260 combo card before I use it. Installed Mavericks over a current build on a Z77 board, running smoothly.

So far, seems to be working very well. It hasn't been up long enough to test much, so I will check back in. Thunderbolt shows "no hardware found", but then again I don't currently own anything Thunderbolt to plug into it. That will take more research, also. I will check back in later. Meanwhile, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open.

I also finished my build. The main issues I have is the same with Thunderbolt "no hardware found", though I tested it with a SxS card reader from Sonnettech. When the Thunderbolt device was plugged into the system the machine would take an awfully long time to boot, and when it did boot it was unstable. Also, fake SMC/HW Monitor doesn't see the fan controllers so I have no auto fan control. So, on to more investigating.

Thank you for your post!

I wonder if this board will fit in a mid-tower case? The board is said to be an extended ATX, but its spec says it's only 0.8" wider than standard ATX. What case do you use for hosting this GA board?

It is definitely an extended ATX - the (10) SATA ports are on the edge, as seems to be the standard these days, and if you don't allow enough room, you may not be able to install it, or the SATA cables. In fact, I had issue with an over-sized board going in a Thermaltake case, just couldn't do it. I would measure, for sure. (I have mine installed in another Thermaltake case, the Mozart TX "Entertainment Center" HTPC case. We call it the "fridge", 'cause it looks like a dorm fridge!) The SATA cables were a huge pain to get in place (partially because I'm so OCD when it comes to my build).

Incidentally, I installed my former mb, a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7, into a NZXT Phantom 530, which fit beautifully. (the SATA cables were still hard to get plugged in, and the mobos are just about identical size.)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    815.5 KB · Views: 484
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    724.6 KB · Views: 768
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    862.6 KB · Views: 454
That no hardware found" is normal for TB in a Hackintosh. I have no idea how you can test if the TB works without a TB device. Can't you borrow a TB-firewire or TB-Ethernet connector somewhere to test?

I did test it with a thunderbolt device. Please see my post above.

It is definitely an extended ATX - the (10) SATA ports are on the edge, as seems to be the standard these days, and if you don't allow enough room, you may not be able to install it, or the SATA cables. In fact, I had issue with an over-sized board going in a Thermaltake case, just couldn't do it. I would measure, for sure. (I have mine installed in another Thermaltake case, the Mozart TX "Entertainment Center" HTPC case. We call it the "fridge", 'cause it looks like a dorm fridge!) The SATA cables were a huge pain to get in place (partially because I'm so OCD when it comes to my build).

Incidentally, I installed my former mb, a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7, into a NZXT Phantom 530, which fit beautifully. (the SATA cables were still hard to get plugged in, and the mobos are just about identical size.)

Nice looking machine!

As for the eATX I was able to fit it easily in an existing Obsidian 650D case. The screw placement is exactly the same for the motherboard placement.

Nice looking machine!

As for the eATX I was able to fit it easily in an existing Obsidian 650D case. The screw placement is exactly the same for the motherboard placement.

Thanks! I've also managed to squeeze 8 hard drives and 2 optical drives in it. (the silver door is a Lian Li 4-bay hot-swap drive enclosure.)

I can see that working, it just depends on if they give you enough "wiggle room" for getting those SATA cables in.

I am curious - everything I see on the TB devices on board talk about display, not storage devices. I do see that the chipset is Intel TB2, but can't find much else. This isn't intended for display only, is it? I'd hate to go out and get a TB storage device, only to find out it won't work.

What about the Intel Wireless ac card? Any word on compatibility?

I also finished my build. The main issues I have is the same with Thunderbolt "no hardware found", though I tested it with a SxS card reader from Sonnettech. When the Thunderbolt device was plugged into the system the machine would take an awfully long time to boot, and when it did boot it was unstable. Also, fake SMC/HW Monitor doesn't see the fan controllers so I have no auto fan control. So, on to more investigating.

Please describe your instability.

It has been stated many times that you will not get any hardware information in system profile for thunderbolt. this is not a "problem" for having a working system.

Also make sure thunderbolt wake from sleep is turned off in the BIOS.
If your running mavericks make sure you are using the latest 1.2.6 driver from Sonnet.

You are aware that hot plug does not work for thunderbolt on a hack right?

g\

I'd hate to go out and get a TB storage device, only to find out it won't work.

What about the Intel Wireless ac card? Any word on compatibility?

The thunderbolt ports can be used for any thunderbolt device. There is no such thing as thunderbolt only for displays, that would be displayport....

To my knowledge intel wireless has never worked properly in OS X. Best to replace it with a broadcom card.

g\

I'm experiencing the same TB issues. I'm testing with simple BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor Thunderbolt output device. simple driver, worked fine on my previous Gigabyte Hackintosh (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH). I know it's not a hot swap, there's definitely an issue with TB with this. I also tested with Lacie 2Big Thunderbolt drive - same issues.

I also tried thunderbolt while disabling PCI slots (as I was thinking perhaps it's bandwidth allocation issue) - no luck either.

the only thing that works via thunderbolt is onboard graphics - driving a monitor (which is displayport). no thunderbolt device worked for me.

Also I noted in the Bios it said that it's Thunderbolt Specification 1. Isn't it supposed to be 2.0.

for the case I used Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition. Works beautifully.

When the Thunderbolt device was plugged into the system the machine would take an awfully long time to boot, and when it did boot it was unstable. Also, fake SMC/HW Monitor doesn't see the fan controllers so I have no auto fan control. So, on to more investigating.

I'm experiencing the same TB issues. I'm testing with simple BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor Thunderbolt output device. simple driver, worked fine on my previous Gigabyte Hackintosh (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH) . I know it's not a hot swap, there's definitely an issue with TB with this. I also tested with Lacie 2Big Thunderbolt drive - same issues.

Can you PLEASE provide more information on the "issue"???? what exactly is happening? What isn't working?

did you turn off thunderbolt wake from sleep in the BIOS?

You may also need to adjust the io or memory allocation settings.
g\

Looks really nice. I think you did a good job.
Do you think the following ATX case would fit? Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
By the way, is that 32GB of RAM? Whats the spec on that? And whats the spec on the CPU cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back