Contribute
Register

GA-Z87X-UD7 TH available mid September

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to find out what is linking the drivers to the new controller chips. Check out the plist of the loading kexts. is it matching based on class-id or device-id? if its device-id you should be able to remove the controller you have from the list and still have the kexts installed.

g\

I've looked quite a bit through loaded kext plists on both of my machines to try and find differences (definitely could have missed something though) and had a hard time determining what was specifying the controllers. I was mainly looking for a device-id, not so much class-id. That being said, I think I know what everything is listed as but I just don't know where to find them.

On my up4-th system, I have the cactus ridge TB controllers. Their device-ids are 1547 and 1549 (one for just the bridge and one for the host?), however, I only see a device-id of 1547 with a class-id of 0604 in the device io tree. There's also a pci bridge device that seems to be related in the device tree with an id of 1513 and same class-id.

On my ud5-th system, I have the redwood ridge TB controllers. Their device-ids are 1568 and 1569 (I think) and I do see both those ids in the device io tree. While the pci class for the 1569 device is 0604, the class for the 1568 device is 0880 (doesn't seem right). There also isn't any 1513 device-id.

EDIT: This is how the ud5-th io device tree looks like with the TB kexts removed. If they are loaded then they get recognized as TB devices in the tree.

Unfortunately, I'm just looking through the io device tree without knowing how to affect it via kexts...

I should probably note that I'm running 10.8.5

Hey genzai, on your z77x-up5-th, have you A) been using the thunderbolt ports successfully? and B) do you have a windows partition/hard drive installed on that system?

Or, can anyone confirm that they have been using thunderbolt with storage devices (on any board) without a windows partition/drive?

Hey genzai, on your z77x-up5-th, have you A) been using the thunderbolt ports successfully? and B) do you have a windows partition/hard drive installed on that system?

Or, can anyone confirm that they have been using thunderbolt with storage devices (on any board) without a windows partition/drive?

Yes to both. i have a windows drive that i use for gaming. There should be absolutely no necessity for it and i don't use any thunderbolt devices in windows.

I have had very good success with thunderbolt on the UP5. I regularly use many blackmagic devices, and i have also used it with the basic apple firewire and ethernet adapters, a thunderbolt drobo and other storage devices, an ATTO thunderlink connected through SAS to LTO, Sonnet devices, etc. I don't think i have had problems with anything i have tried, granted the caveats of having to have it plugged in at boot, and having wake from thunderbolt disabled in BIOS. One thing that does NOT work is putting a real mac in target disc mode and connecting it over thunderbolt to the UP5. This works with firewire but there must be something in the special apple TB firmware that is missing from the UP5 and thus fails to negotiate.
g\

Thanks for the response genzai. I agree that I don't see why Windows would change anything BUT that is a difference between my up4-th and ud5-th systems and up4=working, ud5=not working. Plus, another user had claimed that he needed to have Windows installed to have t-bolt work. Is it possible that installing Windows drivers for those ports could affect how the board defines those ports? Quite out of my depth here but I'm gonna give it a shot...

Also, I have the same target drive non functionality with the otherwise working ports on up4-th. I think a lot of users report the same thing - must be some firmware in t-bolt or some such.

Just to throw another success on the Z77 mine works perfectly the only TB device I use is my Apple TB Display. However since 10.9 it has worked a ton better. Before I would get Kernel panics on boot and it would require rebooting my hack about 4-6 times before it booted properly. Once it was up it was rock solid. It never bothered me though as I very rarely reboot. However since 10.9 I have not had a single issue on reboot with this board.

Out of curiosity I saw in one of the you tube videos posted here a GA rep said that there was a switch on the Mobo that could be used to pipe discreet graphics out through TB port 2 on the board. However I don't see any mention of that on their website. Do you guys see any options for that? I would LOVE to use a discreet card on my TB display.

If not I guess my next board will have to be the ASRock even though I love the simplicity of the GA boards.

See my post here about achieving Thunderbolt functionality on the Z87X-UD5-TH board.

See my post here about achieving Thunderbolt functionality on the Z87X-UD5-TH board.

Hey steelsam,
Thanks for continuing to investigate this. I still remain skeptical of a windows link or at least a windows necessity, but what you are talking about is not unheard of. There have been other devices that only work after being put in a certain state or having firmware activated by windows. But maybe the more likely situation is that the thunderbolt drivers are no longer loading, and for that windows should not be needed. In any case, the best news is that you have TB working on the later gen boards and that opens things back up nicely. Now, yes it would be good to really figure out whats going on here as much as possible. Do keep us informed what you find. I still haven't done any builds with the 8 series TB boards so i can't add much to this yet.
g\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back