Graphics
Onboard HD4000 + MSI Twin Fozer3 GTX680
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My issue - I was happily running ML 10.8.3 until I decided to try and update some kexts (idiot!) and screwed up my drive, to cut a long story short, I decided to reinstall ML.

Downloaded 10.8.3 from the app store and ran Unibeast. Plugged the USB into the PC and went through the install process. Installer went through ok and got to the point where I boot from the hard drive using the USB, however, it would not let me boot unless I switched to safe mode (-x flag). Once booted up in safe mode I ran Multibeast selecting User DSDT or DSDT-free installations, the Realtek ACL898 audio kext (without DSDT) and hnak's appleethernet kext. Rebooted and tried to boot from hard drive (OCZ Agility 3 SSD) and get the following in verbose mode:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUnit : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a
-- power management may be incomplete or unsupported

It then gives a couple more lines and finishes on macx_swapon SUCCESS. Thats it, it will not go any further than that. I have tried this several times and looked in various places for solutions, none of which have worked. For now I have taken the graphics card out completely and disconnected everything that isn't necessary for this to be able to run. One other thing I did notice further up before it stops was the following line:

USBF: 1. 18 The IOUSBFamily did not receive enough extra current for the SuperSpeed device (4 port USB 3.0 hb) a 0x14c00000, asked for 400mA but got 0 mA.

Once the install has been completed, trying to booting safe mode from the USB or the SSD gives the same errors and hangs. It seems that safemode only works when booting from the USB installer, before running Multibeast and going through the setup for the first time.

Specs are as follows:
Motherboard: GA-Z77x-UP5TH
Processor: i7 3770K
Graphics: GTX680
PSU: Corsair AX750
BIOS: F11
ML version: 10.8.3
Unibeast: 1.7
Multibeast: 5.2.1

Originally I got this working by following several threads on the forum. But, I have tried going through this all again and it still gives the same error with the same BIOS setting and I am still getting the same error.

I know some people are having similar issues with this board getting 10.8.2 to install. Has anyone done this successfully with either 10.8.2/10.8.3? I think when I originally did the install and got it working it must have been using 10.8.0 or 10.8.1, BIOS has remained the same version, still the latest stable version on the Gigabyte website.

I would happily try this with 10.8.0 again but I don't think you can get the old versions from Apple, someone correct me if I am wrong.

BIOS settings were the same as in Alfa's build, then following another thread I reset everything to defaults and tried making sure nothing was overclocked, Intel virtualization technology is disabled (I can't find a setting for VT-d which was mentioned on another thread?). I have also tried to follow this guide but still no luck.

I've gone as far as re-downloading the ML installer and Unibeast and rewriting to the USB and going through the install again but am getting the same error.

Any help would be much appreciated. I've tried to be as thorough as possible, let me know if any more details are required or if it sounds like I've missed something.

Yes, GraphicsEnabler=No. Hmm... just trying everything again now and it loads up Chimera and then the screen goes black and it reboots.

One more install: Start Unibeast installer, install OS X, reboot, still needs the -x flag to go through properly, download and open Multibeast, just selecting the "UserDSDT or DSDT-free" option and the "graphicsEnabler=no" this time, not even bothering with the audio or network.

Booting from the new install, Chimera comes up, and then does the same thing, just bootloops....

Switched USB sticks incase something was wrong with the other one/ML hadn't been written to it properly. Installed via Unibeast and when trying to boot ML from the USB it comes up with:
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPower Management) timed out
WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUnit : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a
-- power management may be incomplete or unsupported
Refusing new kext com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily, v5.5.5: already have loaded v9.9.9

Rebooted into safemode, managed to install the basic dsdtfree option, it now get stuck in the same place when booting from the disk but will boot with safe mode on.

The other thing I can try doing is restore the boot drive from my time machine backup, but then I get a boot0: error at startup. I have read that a solution for this is to connect the drive to another mac and run Multibeast on it to update the boot partition with Chimera. I have tried doing this and in verbose mode it loads just a couple of lines and then immediately reboot again.

Does anyone know how to get round this/have any guide on how to do this correctly. If I have to run Multibeast again on the drive on another Mac do I just need Chimera to be installed, or do I have to install all the other kexts as well?

Currently stuck in the same situation ,verbose mode stops on "ntfs volume name , version 3.1." Works in safe mode only otherwise grey spin.same specs

Wow, I'm shocked that people are having trouble with this board. This is one of the easiest motherboards I've ever installed OS X too. I did a test install of 10.8.3, to see if it would work, I had no problems at all. I used the USB2 ports on the back of the case, my hard drive was connected to the Marvell SATA3 controller. (Remember, this was a test, not my main HD) Haven't tried the Intel SATA3 controller with 10.8.3, but had no problems with 10.8.2. I'm not sure why it is not working for you guys, kinda shocked that it is not.

Currently stuck in the same situation ,verbose mode stops on "ntfs volume name , version 3.1." Works in safe mode only otherwise grey spin.same specs

ntfs???? I finally got mine to boot by restoring the boot drive from the time machine backup, then when booting from the disk it came up with a boot0: error.

I then booted from the disk using the unibeast bootloader option, but it stalled just a bit further than it got last time. The solution to get it to boot fully was to use DVI instead of the VGA output on the board. Once in ML I checked the kexts were installed correctly (played a video and it still had sound so everything looks to be ok). Installed the standalone Chimera 2.0.1 and rebooted. ITS ALIVE! :)

While booting in verbose mode I did notice the same errors as before but it just carried on past them this time. I still have no idea why it wouldn't install from scratch, lets hope I never have to do that again.

Suffering the same issues here. Since updating can only boot in Safe mode. Considering rolling back to 10.8.2 right now. Anyone have any ideas?

May or may not work. I ended up formatting my drive (Samsung 840 Pro 256gb) and starting again with 10.8.2 and now it's completely screwed. (See my thread floating around in here). Boots in safe mode, but booting normally will see me hang JUST as the desktop appears. Getting the same error messages as the OP when booting verbose.

I just got mine installed after having issues with my 7750, but when I first installed 10.8.3 from scratch on Friday, with my GT 610, it was flawless and had no hiccups at all.

Did you guys try with integrated video (for those of you with HD 400, although I read HD 2500 is supported as well, but not sure if you need to do something to make it work). Then install your discrete graphics card.

-=Mark=-
ps, if you still have issues, I had to make my iGFX as primary and enabled and connected to my video card(had to use my VGA as my HDMI was connected to my 7550, I have no other ports on my monitor). Then it booted just fine in extended mode. I then set my monitor to hdmi and I see no bios or chameleon menus, just see the desktop when it arrives and all is working.

BIOS settings were:
Init Display First: IGFX
Internal Graphics: Enabled

If I set Internal Graphics: Disabled like most posts recommend, then those two setting reset themselves on reboot to AUTO. and it stops working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back