Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This is my first time building a hackintosh following guides online and part guides:

So im going to list the parts i've bought (i think i looked at an old guide when i purchase these parts sadly but it should still work nonetheless)

[SUP]mobo - Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboards GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3[/SUP]

power - Rosewill 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply Hive-750
chipset- Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770
RAM- Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10) (1.50v)
SSD- OCZ Technology 128GB Vertex 4 Series SATA 6.0 GB/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) With Industry's Highest 120K IOPS And 5-Year Warranty - VTX4-25SAT

i also have an aluminum apple wired keyboard
when i turn on the computer the power sel test screen appears, but i cannot input or control anything. the computer then reboots after ten seconds or so and will repeat this indefinitely.

1) i have not made a bootable usb drive yet - will this help me get past the test screen?
2) i am going to buy an alternate generic usb keyboard tomorrow and test that out because it seems some people had trouble [before getting into and setting legacy usb settings in the BIOS to off/auto] with apple keyboards.
3) is there a RAM or BIOS issue known with the z68x and i7 3770 combo, and if so, what can i do?

I am in Spain quite far from the US and it will take another month to get any sort of replacement part or installation disk for OS X that I might need (unless I can just use a USB boot drive of mavericks for all this).

Any help would be much appreciated and being a noob I will try my best to give you exactly what info you need to help.
-whitty :banghead::banghead::crazy::crazy:

z68x-udh-b3 + i7 3770 intel core wont boot

sounds like a hardware problem. Start by clearing the cmos though. Make sure all your power connectors are properly inserted, unplug and replug all power connections and RAM modules. try with only one stick of ram. Unplug all the non-essential components pcie cards etc... good luck

I'll try disconnecting my SSD and the lights, etc from the case
I'm gonna try a new keyboard as well since that seems to be a common issue i've read about through google with BIOS screens and booting not working :think:
Hopefully the RAM that I have isn't incompatible because that would be really balls, but with a 750W ps I should be able to easily power 1.50v 8gb cards, no?

1) As far as resetting the CMOS - I believe I just have to touch a screwdrive or something metal to the CMOS pins for a few seconds with the power off/disconnected, yes? :O

2) As for the rebooting every 10 seconds on it's own: what sort of issue causes this behavior and how can I avoid that?

Thanks for your quick reply!

If you can, try updating the bios to the newest version (Pre-EFI). But your problem sounds like a hardware issue. Try booting with only one piece of RAM and keep adding components until the problem reappears.

I've tried putting the ram (one stick of corsair vengeance 8gb 1.50v) in three different slots and putting it into slot one actually made the power on self test screen glitch out!

The usb ports dont seem to be powered because not only does the generic keyboard i just got not work on that screen, but the apple keyboard wont either.

It just infinitely reboots, even after unplugging everything and only plugging in power, the power switch cable, and the cpu fan.

I'm becoming more and more scared that I've bought incompatible pieces and had them shipped from US to europe to no avail and that I have a dead/essentially bricked computer. :(

I've got no way to change any settings because the keyboards wont work to let me get into any menus.

any advice or experience with this specific board/chipset?

I've tried putting the ram (one stick of corsair vengeance 8gb 1.50v) in three different slots and putting it into slot one actually made the power on self test screen glitch out!

The usb ports dont seem to be powered because not only does the generic keyboard i just got not work on that screen, but the apple keyboard wont either.

It just infinitely reboots, even after unplugging everything and only plugging in power, the power switch cable, and the cpu fan.

I'm becoming more and more scared that I've bought incompatible pieces and had them shipped from US to europe to no avail and that I have a dead/essentially bricked computer. :(

I've got no way to change any settings because the keyboards wont work to let me get into any menus.

any advice or experience with this specific board/chipset?
Really sounds like a hardware problem, you didn't buy incompatible parts, so don't worry about that. It's hard to say whats faulty, but I'm leaning towards the motherboard--it could be the cpu though. Before you start RMAing anything, you may want to consider buying a motherboard speaker/a pcie LCD debugger that will let you know of the error code, so you can diagnose the problem. They are generally under $10, so it shouldn't be too to pricey. Other than that, make sure everything is connected properly: cpu power cable, main 24 min atx connector etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back