Contribute
Register

GA Z68MX-UD2H-B3 works flawless w/Mavericks OB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same hardware config as you, used your .mb file, and I have no keyboard or mouse at the login screen. They worked after install in the unibeast boot, but not when booting up after multibeast. Suggestions?

So we are clear, this my

GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
16 GB
sandy Bridge i7 3.41 GHz
Radeon HD 5770

OK, I got the keyboard and mouse to work on the USB 3.0 ports. They do not work on the USB 2 ports, though other devices work on those ports. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Not certain. I use a USB mouse and keyboard along with a BT apple mighty mouse and wireless keyboard. Both work for me without issues. I've tried multiple USB 2 ports and they all seem to work fine. Check your system information profile and verify all the USB2 ports are being recognized. It's a stretch put perhaps some are being shutdown by OS X because of too much power draw. This does happen to me from time to time.

Hello, I have a Z68mx Ud2h B3 rev1.0 and I am just wondering should I upgrade the bios to U1E. It worked flawlessly for me on the old F13 award BIOS but since OSX 10.9.3 graphics and sleep have been an issue.

It would be great to be back to flawless again. What do you guys recommend? Any help would be appreciated

Tough call, I haven't update to 10.9.3 yet so I may experience the same issues with U1E. For me, I noticed an improvement in sleep with U1E and I like the simplicity of not using a DSDT file. It may be a few weeks before I update to 10.9.3 so check the forum and see if anyone is experiencing issues with the U1E bios. It wasn't easy going to U1E bios and it's quite difficult to go back, if you even can.

Hello!

I'm wanting to update my OS, but I'm very apprehensive since this is my only hack build and I'm not very savvy in BIOS and Terminal to be able to diagnose issues if they arise during the process.

My 10.7.2 system has been flawless for almost 2 years now.
The only issue is my network connection goes out if I reset my modem/router. I just have to reboot my comp and it comes back.

I'm using BIOS that requires the DSDT file.
Don't remember the BIOS version and don't remember how to tell... I think it's on the BIOS screen when I reboot, but can't remember.

So any help to give me some confidence to update this system would be great...
And perhaps one of your would be willing to offer an email address for troubleshooting?

I know I'm asking a lot, but it would be very appreciated.

I saw herbie's thread and DrOptiks replies, and thought the two of you would be good to contact.

Here is my current system:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K

GPU: GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600?C9B

HD0 (for OS and Apps): OCZ Technology 120 GB Vertex Series SATA II Solid State Drive

HD1 (file storage, Adobe scratch disk): Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA

BURNER: LG CD/DVD Burner Model GH22NS50

CPU COOLER: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 All in One High-performanc?e CPU Cooler CWCH50-1

P/S: Antec CP-850 850 Watt CPX Power Supply Unit

CASE: Antec Performance One P183 V3 Case

Rocco,

I was in the same boat as you were, stable 10.7.4 system but a software update forced me to move to 10.9. Plus, I sort of like Mavericks now that I've gotten used to it. I also have dual monitors, which Mavericks has better support for. I suggest unless you have a specific reason for upgrading to 10.9. Stay with 10.7, because following the method below, you can't go back. Note that not all 10.7 applications work on 10.9 so check this before you start and you should read up on 10.9's security features before upgrading, especially how gatekeeper works. Some people have also had trouble with iMessages on a Hackintosh under 10.9.

In all, I found that after the update, sleep works a lot better. Restarts are faster and performance is on par with 10.7. Although like you the network still gives me trouble from time to time, forcing me to reboot the machine. Good thing we both have SSDs.

You'll need to upgrade the BIOS to UE1 which is the trickiest part of the upgrade. Your system is almost identical to mine, except I have a HD5870 graphics card whereas you have an HD6000 series. I'm fairly certain that the HD6000's are supported in Mavericks but it would be best to verify this before you start.

Here's what you'll need before you begin (be sure to backup to timemachine as well, just in case). Having two computers or at least an option to access the web while you perform the upgrade is advisable.

1. Read through the Mavericks install instructions at http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibea...-based-pc.html (Install STEPS 1 - 5)
2. STEP 1: Download the recent version of Mavericks 10.9.3 so you only have apply your multibeast settings once
3. Prepare a 10.9 USB boot drive using unibeast following STEP 2 of the installation guide.
4. Download a recent version of multibeast and have this available on one of your hard drives
5. In Windows, download the new UE1 bios - http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-z68mx-ud2h-b3_f1e.exe
6. In Windows, download rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie to prepare a DOS boot USB drive so you can upgrade the bios

At this point you are ready to start. Once you begin your computer will not boot into OSX until you finish the upgrade.

First, from OS X, rename /Extra to /OldExtra as the UE1 BIOS does not use DSDT files and will cause problems booting.

Next, upgrade your bios. You can follow this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-FcRUp2A-E or read the DOS Flash utility instructions at http://ca.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html. Configure your UEI bios using the settings from the 10.9 installation instructions (e.g.):

1. To access BIOS/UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Set to Optimized Defaults.
3. (Optional) Set X.M.P. Memory Profile to Profile1
4. If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
5. Save and exit.

Now, you are ready to upgrade to 10.9. Follow the upgrade instructions under STEP 4: Install OS X Mavericks of the 10.9 install guide. (skip item 6 on formatting your drive and just perform an upgrade of your existing system).

Last, follow STEP 5 from the Installation guide. Reboot into OSX Mavericks using the USB drive and choose the Mavericks installation. Apply your settings or you can start from my settings file posted earlier in this thread. Some options have been replaced in the newer version of mulitibeast but you can at least see what is working for me.

Reboot and enjoy mavericks.

Feel free to send me a private message or post an issue in this thread. Both go to my email, but I don't usually check email after 6pm pacific time.

WOW! Thank you so much for the very detailed reply.

It seems doable, however I have just a couple questions, if you don't mind.

My hack does not have Windows installed, and I'm not really wanting to put a Windows OS on this machine.
Do I have to be able to run Windows on my hack to update the BIOS to UE1 as you described?

I have access to a Windows laptop if it can be done that way.
It seems like this is possible by using Rufus to create a bootable DOS USB to run the UE1 BIOS install.
Am I correct here?

I was also thinking of just picking up another SSD and using that to experiment with Mavericks install.
But with the BIOS update... If the Mavericks install on a new SSD gives me trouble, will my SSD with 10.7.2 still function with the UE1 BIOS?

I use my hack as a workstation primarily running Adobe Creative Suite with dual monitor setup. Just FYI.

Yes, you can prepare the boot USB on your laptop in Windows. That should work fine, just don't boot the USB drive on your laptop or it will try to update your laptops bios.

You can definitely prepare a fresh drive and install Mavericks that way, you could even restore from time machine afterwards to recover your applications and settings. However, if you upgrade to UE1 bios you'll still need to clear out the /Extra folder and apply new multi beast settings on your existing 10.7 drive or it won't boot. No clean option there as your existing DSDT settings conflict with UE1 bios.

You could try to install Mavericks to a new drive and continue to use DSDT settings in Multibeast. But interpolgp tried that and had troubles with graphics and sleep. (see post earlier). You may not if you have a different graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back