Contribute
Register

GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 New EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The absolute must have BIOS setting is ACHI mode on all SATA controllers.

I am guessing this is your current storage attachments:
SATA3-port0: Windows SSD
SATA3-port1: 2TB HDD for storage
SATA2-port3+: OSX SSD

Am I guessing right? If I am then why OSX SSD isn't on SATA3 connector to get detection and boot priority?

To install OSX you might want to disconnect all drives. Connect OSX SSD to SATA3-port0 then install OSX with unibeast+multibeast.

Use Disk Utility in the installation Desktop to format SSD if doing fresh install.

Reconnect Windows SSD to port1 then HDD to SATA2-port3.

Its likely your HDD is SATA3 compatible but it will not be able to perform to the bandwidth available like an SSD SATA2/3.

Yes that is exactly how I have the HDD configured currently. As my OSX SSD does not support SATA3 (oddly the 2TB HD does 'support' SATA3 even if it might not use the bandwidth) I thought plugging it into the SATA2 ports would suffice, but will give it a try! I miss being able to set slave master, as you knew where you were with that setup I've been running AHCI mode since Win7 and always know to check that setting. I haven't noticed any settings in the EFI U1c Bios relating to HPET mode etc is this set automatically now or is it buried in a menu somewhere? :lolno:

Thanks for your help,
Robin

With PATA you could set master/slave/CS but its better now with SATA not just for bandwidth. The IDE ribbon able connects upto 2 devices and the slower device bottleneck the whole chain. Now SATA are almost independent. Also slim SATA cables are much better with air flow and cable management.

The HPET setting is still there. I found it already enabled after BIOS flash.

I think OSX ML detect and control I/O some what different to Lion. SATA3 is backward compatible.

The SATA3 HDD will not have any significant different in term of performance on SATA 2/3 ports. I don't think it can saturates even SATA2.

Hmm, where is the HPET setting in the bios? It's not under power management I don't think, unless it's under the first page somewhere (MIT settings) I can't find it. I was semi kidding about missing IDE devices, I sure don't miss those cables! I'm aware that the HDD doesn't take advantage of sata3 bandwidth but I never used to have the second ssd in the system for osx and just added it recently. I'll swap later and test it.

Thanks,

Rob

Ok, so I set the Igp gfx as enabled and to be initiated first, and also changed the cables on hd's disconnecting all others but the ssd. ML boots after install, but then I run multibeast and install the DSDT and repair the perms (is that right?) but after reboot I get a kernel panic on boot which halts the system saying the processor context is corrupt. Going to try reinstalling and then just try selectively installing kexts (unless anyone has any better ideas)

Actually just realised I could boot using DSDT=no so deleting the dsdt now and trying the other method.

genzai,
I don't' have the exact same board, but my GA-Z68XP-UD3 also now has a UEFI BIOS released (I believe it's U1G). I thought the whole point of usinga UEFI BIOS was so you don't have to use a DSDT. But you are talking about DSDT editing.... Am I missing something? What is the advantage to using the UEFI BIOS if you still need to edit a DSDT?

UEFI has many advantages. you do not need a DSDT, but i prefer getting audio to work through DSDT than other methods. There is still good reason to use DSDT since you can continue to improve on things through it. In other words, not having a DSDT is not the "point" of going UEFI, though it has the added benefit of not NEEDING one.
g\

So if this dsdt is for this board and bios revision, how come it causes me a kernel panic? I literally just have the kb, mouse, and no other peripherals (inc graphics card) installed. Seems weird!:p

For coresme2 and other blessed owners of GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 with UEFI BIOS U1c

My Step to step to ML Bliss:

My Kit:
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 Rev 1.0 UEFI U1c
i7 2600s (65W with only HD2000, not HD3000)
2x4GB DDR3 Vengeance Blue 1600 running at 1333
Asus Radeon 6670 1024Mb Fanless Graphic Card
Belkin Bluetooth dongle attached on USB hub of Dell 27" LCD
Apple wireless keyboard, trackpad and mouse
Sandisk Extreme SSD 240GB (connected to SATA3-port0)
LG BluRay Internat (connected to SATA3-port1)

prerequisite:
Ati6000controller.kext and atiframebuffer.kext by nataly1967
AppleHDA.kext (ALC889_AppleHDA_10.8_GM_V3+HDEF) by Sergey_Galan
HDAEnabler889.kext
Unibeast 1.5
Multibeast 4.6.1
Kextbeast
chimera 1.11.0

1a. Unibeast ML, downloaded from AppStore, rename/delete Ati6000controller.kext inside Unibeast USB key.

1b. Copy Install_ESD.dmg to NAS for safe keeping

2. Boots Unibeast (no boot flags required with this graphic card), goto Disk Uitlity to format OSX partition for fresh install, resume install and reboot.

Pause and review at 1st boot to Desktop to OSX SSD with unibeast:

Working: Network, Bluetooth Keyboard, Trackpad, Mouse, Eject button

Not working: Graphic only detected having 3MB and running at VGA mode, audio, no bootloader yet on SSD and System Profile MacPro3,1 to be set

3. Multibeast. The current version is 4.6.1 and is not suitable for ML yet. MacMan mention he will push out 5.0.0 soon. So for now I adopted a minimal approach after making error in selecting too many settings. i.e. same selection as Lion is not suitable here for ML.

3.a DON'T check:
Easybeast
UserDSDT
System Utility
Audio
Graphic
Network
3b. ONLY check:
TRIM enable (if SSD supports)
Chimera 1.10.0
System Profile MacPro 3,1 (If you are using Intel HD3000 you need to choose MacMini)
SSDT=i7
Boot Flag: 64 bit GE=No
BootLoader theme is up to you.

4. install latest chimera 1.11.0 over 1.10.0 (why not)

5. graphic (If HD3000/4000 or other graphic card then skip to 6)
5a. rename to backup ati6000controller.kext
5b. rename to backup atiframebuffer.kext
5c. place customised ati6000controller.kext and atiframebuffer.kext on Desktop and install with kextbeast

6. audio (multibeast 4.6.1 didn't work for me)
6a. rename to back AppleHDA.kext
6.b place customised AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler889.kext on Desktop and install with kextbeast

7. Repair permission with Disk Utility

8. Reboot

Review at final stage:

Audio works (stereo output, HDMI audio not tested, front headphone socket auto detect not working but can manually choose by alt + click on volume icon on menubar)

Graphics works at full resolution of 2560x1440, QE/CL acceleration confirmed with ripple on dashboard.

Booting without unibeast usb key

Dual booting to Windows works

System profile as Mac Pro early 2008

AppStore, iTuneStore and iCloud signed in

Time Machine backup detected

NAS visible in finder

9. Restore Time Machine backup
9a. Don't choose to restore "other system files" otherwise the kexts and /Extra might get rewritten by Time Machine Restore from Lion.
9b. Install X11 for GIMP
9c. Install Java for LibreOffice

Geekbench 32bit score 10440. up from 9940 with Lion

Enjoy ML

Dear tamorgen,

I too second genzai. tamorgen you are right DSDT is not necessary now with UEFI bios. I have achieved near perfect ML without DSDT here. However I think of DSDT as the filler in the gap between Gagabyte UEFI and Apple UEFI. I read that DSDT will be release after these BIOSes are out of beta phase.

well the answer to that is easy. the DSDT is not "causing" your kernel panic. Something else is wrong. probably an issue with your p-states, though you should post a screenshot of your panic if you want competent help resolving the issue.
g\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back