Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0Ghz
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
I am having trouble with the post install for this board. I am able to install Mojave and boot the machine only by selecting the USB installer and pointing clover to the SSD I installed it on. If I select the SSD in the bios, which is listed as (UEFI OS) it just loops. I can mount the SSD's EFI in clover but I can't figure out why it won't boot. I have done everything from scratch multiple times but I can't figure this one out. Advice?

Usually this happens if your SSD EFI drive is corrupted. Sometimes, it's also confusing the way boot drives are listed in bios and make sure you are selecting correct one. Also, check if you have turned off secure boot in bios.

I have secure boot off. I'm tempted to update the bios but I'm worried that if I do, my sierra backup disk won't boot. I can't really find any guides on getting it to Mojave properly.

Update:

Got it to boot!

I decided to go through an update the BIOS. I was hesitant to do so but I was out of ideas. I went from f20 to f22f. The motherboard is a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) incase someone is stuck where I was.

Any advice what to load driver-wise?

Update:

Got it to boot!

I decided to go through an update the BIOS. I was hesitant to do so but I was out of ideas. I went from f20 to f22f. The motherboard is a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) incase someone is stuck where I was.

Any advice what to load driver-wise?

Good news!

Please update your hardware profile to reflect your PC components, it's a part of the Site Rules and will help others with the same problem search and discover your solution :thumbup:

Spoke too soon, I'm back where I started, I tried loading some kexts and couldn't get past the log in. Having trouble getting it to boot so I did a clean install and it's looping again, only this time the version of clover that loads up is different even though I'm installing the same one. Perhaps I have to blow away the EFI again. Will report back and also update my config as I have two hackintoshes now.

Another update: I tried various different methods to get clover to show up. later versions would show the bootloader but not the drive. I found that the only way I can get this thing to boot is to update the BIOS yet again and use unibeast and then multibeast for the post-install. I found someone who had some fixes in clover but they completely change how the bootloader looks and keep the machine from booting so now I'm backing up my EFI every time I mess with.

I'm having trouble with sleep-wake functionality and booting consistently. I can't find any DSDT/Clover patches that I know will work. I can't really find any guides on anything later than High Sierra with this motherboard. Can anyone advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back