1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Seems like there isn't much information relating to this particular motherboard- lets get it on the site.

Notes:
  • Intel Z170 Express Chipset
  • i5 Quad Core
  • Intel HD 530
  • RealTek ALC1150 Codec
  • Atheros Killer E2201
I bought the GA-Z170X-GAMING 3 and have managed to get El Capitan working almost totally. After making some changes in the BIOS following this guide (here). Then follow the standard installation guide with basics settings using the UEFI configuration. Found here.

Successes/Tips:
  • Also the motherboard's Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201 LAN seems to function natively with the latest Atheros LAN driver featured in latest MultiBeast.
Partial Success:
  • You must load the Intel HD 530 kext from MultiBeast. However most features seem to be smooth, not everything seems to function in terms of graphics. Not sure.
No Success, yet:
  • Audio does not work, which is Realtek ALC1150 codec. For some reason the seemingly appropriate ALC1150 kext within MultiBeast doesn't work. Anyone have success.
  • I'm wondering if anyone else has succeeded with this board and succeeded?
  • USB3 simply doesn't work. Only the USB1 port.

Last edited:
I am very happy that someone suceeded with my motherboard..
I always get the error :
Still waiting for root device 8x
Got device ...
BSD ROOT: disk0s2, major 1, minor 2

There it stucks and never goes on..
system: i7 6700k , 16 gb corsair ram, same motherboard, r9 390 nitro , el capitan 10.11.4

I had set all my bios settings following the guide on this page..

Don't n know what to do because i still gettin one error over the other... :(

Seems like there isn't much information relating to this particular motherboard- lets get it on the site.

Notes:
  • Intel Z170 Express Chipset
  • i5 Quad Core
  • Intel HD 530
  • RealTek ALC1150 Codec
  • Atheros Killer E2201
I bought the GA-Z170X-GAMING 3 and have managed to get El Capitan working almost totally. After making some changes in the BIOS following this guide (here). Then follow the standard installation guide with basics settings using the UEFI configuration. Found here.

Successes/Tips:
  • Also the motherboard's Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201 LAN seems to function natively with the latest Atheros LAN driver featured in latest MultiBeast.
Partial Success:
  • You must load the Intel HD 530 kext from MultiBeast. However most features seem to be smooth, not everything seems to function in terms of graphics. Not sure.
No Success, yet:
  • Audio does not work, which is Realtek ALC1150 codec. For some reason the seemingly appropriate ALC1150 kext within MultiBeast doesn't work. Anyone have success.
  • I'm wondering if anyone else has succeeded with this board and succeeded?
  • USB3 simply doesn't work. Only the USB1 port.

For the audio, did you install both the ALC1150 kext and the "100 Series Audio" patch from the "Audio" tab under "Drivers" in Multibeast? Both are needed to get it working. The patch renames the HD audio device in the DSDT to the correct name.

And for USB, did you install the "Increase Max Port Limit" patch (on the "USB" tab under "Drivers" in Multibeast)? This is needed for proper USB support on 9 & 100 series motherboards.

I am very happy that someone suceeded with my motherboard..
I always get the error :
Still waiting for root device 8x
Got device ...
BSD ROOT: disk0s2, major 1, minor 2

There it stucks and never goes on..
system: i7 6700k , 16 gb corsair ram, same motherboard, r9 390 nitro , el capitan 10.11.4

I had set all my bios settings following the guide on this page..

Don't n know what to do because i still gettin one error over the other... :(

The problem is your graphics card; the R9 390 Nitro isn't supported by the AMD graphics drivers in OS X, unfortunately.

For the audio, did you install both the ALC1150 kext and the "100 Series Audio" patch from the "Audio" tab under "Drivers" in Multibeast? Both are needed to get it working. The patch renames the HD audio device in the DSDT to the correct name.

And for USB, did you install the "Increase Max Port Limit" patch (on the "USB" tab under "Drivers" in Multibeast)? This is needed for proper USB support on 9 & 100 series motherboards.

Thank you for your help! It seemed to work on a previous install and now it doesn't. Rather confusing issue. I am currently updating my MultiBeast to see if that resolves the issue with audio. Last time I had success it seemed to work after disabling then reenabling the hardware within the bios. This hasn't worked this time, yet...

Contribution for Z170X gaming 3 tips on dealing with sleep issues with audio.

I found that a particular setting in codeccommander was causing issues when awaking from sleep (causing noise) and not properly waking. So use these two settings only in Info.plist in
/System/Library/Extensions/CodecCommander.kext/Contents

<dict>
<key>Command</key>
<data>AgR8sA==</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x7CB0</string>
<key>On Init</key>
<true/>
<key>On Sleep</key>
<false/>
<key>On Wake</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Command</key>
<data>AbcIgw==</data>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>0x1b SET_UNSOLICITED_ENABLE 0x83</string>
<key>On Init</key>
<false/>
<key>On Sleep</key>
<false/>
<key>On Wake</key>
<true/>
</dict>

(Just edit the entry using VI in that file and use these dict settings only. Delete the others. Be sure to make a backup copy of Info.plist!!!)

I didn't get sleep working with Intel graphics but used NVIDIA instead. Used tonymac86 advice to get around it:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/

Final observations for stuff I got stuck on:

1) UPDATE GIGABYTE BIOS!!!! All kinds of evil happened because I used an old bios. I'm kicking myself at the hours I spent chasing bugs in my build that turned out to be corrected b y just going to F21 (in my case).
2) POWER SUPPLY!!! I was using RaidMax Vampire which was great, and I liked it, but strange things happened. I RMAd it and they issued me a new power supply which I'm sure is find but by that time, I had upgraded to EVGA power supply that is ROCK SOLID.
3) NO MORE THAN ONE EFI boot disk ON YOUR SYSTEM. I had backup EFI's on other drives that were causing havoc with Clover and gigabyte. So now, I have backup USB sticks (4 to be paranoid) and a backup of my whole boot drive on another drive. Now I sleep well at night. I boot from the USB stick (one at a time). If I need a different bootloader (more on this in a bit), I can just switch USB sticks.
4) Needed different EFI/Clover bootloader for El Capitan and Sierra (and probably for Windows 7 too! Getting around to that later). El Capitan doesn't wake from sleep well with a bootloader that works on Sierra (with the kernel mods in Clover) and vice versa: Sierra won't boot from my El Capitan EFI bootloader. So it's best to just keep them separate on different sticks.
5) Clover bootloader install on my USB stick didn't work right for lower than 16GB stick. I had an 8GB stick and it didn't load correctly so I'm wondering about my unibeast run. Found a workaround: just format two partitions on the USB stick with GUID with the first being FAT32 (for clover boot) or just use a 16GB stick or larger for UNIBEAST!!! This confused the heck out of me for a month!!!
6) Needed to generate an SSDT to get full performance. See details at: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/
Loaded into ACPI/patches on EFI clover partition. Huge difference.
7) Set trim manually via http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/29/use-trimforce-trim-ssd-mac-os-x/ and also hibernate off (for my desktop, why burn out the SSD drive?) at
https://www.cultofmac.com/227679/sa...disable-safesleep-mode-on-your-mac-os-x-tips/
Also, I left darkwake unset and am fine with normal sleep (ahhhh, sleep!) with codeccommander waking properly from sleep including audio.
8) I had SEVERE problems getting Intel 530 Graphics to run dual monitor (with the VGA port) even though this works fine in windows 7 BUT I could boot the VGA monitor fine in El Capitan. Went away when I used an NVIDIA card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750) I got for 50 bucks from a friend.

Anyone help me, please ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back