Contribute
Register

GA-P55M-UD2 i7 860 K Panics after 24 hr shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
homesnake said:
lnx2mac said:
Also, you'll have to patch the DSDT, as the one currently on the DB seems to have a problem WRT to sleep.

Yea funny I seem to remember the gigabeast UD4 install not having full sleep - fans would never shut off- don't know if that's the same issue as inthe thread.
Exactly !

homesnake said:
I haven't been able to edit a DSDT yet successfully, actually can't even do a clean extract but I seem to remember tony saying that DSDTSE is fussy. Once (if?) I get a stable machine going I will figure out the DSDT editing.
You can save yourself the trouble and take my edited one (linked above)... But it's always nice to learn to do it... ;)

the UD4 booted, the desktop appeared, and then KP'd. I'm still messing with the ram timings/voltage settings, perhaps better luck tomorrow morning.

going to get the gskill ECO's on payday, but I'll mess around with this other ram until then. If I find some magic settings that work I'll post them up.

Thanks for the DSDT, I'm going to install that right now on another disk. :)

homesnake said:
the UD4 booted, the desktop appeared, and then KP'd.
I observed this behavior when booting without a DSDT (or a badly damaged one :D)...
I used to see the desktop in very low-res, and immediate KP...

hmm interesting - I will do that fresh install with your DSDT this afternoon.

I was able to get a store credit on 4 of the 8 GB of the ram, (thanks NCIX!) because it was under 30 days, the other 4GB I am stuck with because I had purchased it earlier so it was out of the 30 day return window. If I can that 4GB working I'll be relieved somewhat, though my hopes are dimming.

Does anyone use LinX or Linpack on windows for testing? I was reading a hardwarecanucks.com article,

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... iew-4.html

they use LinX to test stability, I tried it out just now on the 4GB I still have and I got an error message after 5 minutes. Memtest however could find no errors after 2 hours. These are stock BIOS settings a la tonymac's guide as I wanted to start fresh.

@ Lnx2mac:

I did the "user DSDT" install, up and running on your DSDT, thanks for that.

One thing I'm unclear on from the thread on i5/i7 speedstep, do you have all your advanced CPU functions enabled? I have them all turned on right now. I am not overclocking whatsoever (no memory tweaks either).

homesnake said:
@ Inx2mac:

I did the "user DSDT" install, up and running on your DSDT, thanks for that.

One thing I'm unclear on from the thread on i5/i7 speedstep, do you have all your advanced CPU functions enabled? I have them all turned on right now. I am not overclocking whatsoever (no memory tweaks either).

Hi Homesnake,
Glad my DSDT helped you !

As for speedstep, the DSDT doesn't touch them, and relies on the imac11,1 smbios doing the right thing.

See all my BIOS setting here: viewtopic.php?p=13521#p13521

Cheers,
Lnx2Mac

up and running aaaand....

NO KP on cold boot this morning!

It's only been up and running an hour, but I could not get this far on the UD2 unless I took all the ram out but for one stick.

:thumbup:

will post again if something goes wrong or if I start to tweak things after I feel it's stable.

I am still going to get the Gskill ECO, as 8GB is still my goal for this board.

oh and thanks for posting your BIOS settings, I just made some changes in mine to reflect what you had there just in case some setting was contributing to the trouble.

Glad to hear all your hard work has paid off and it's working (fingers crossed!) :D :clap: :clap:

another good boot, no problems whatsoever today. everything working, sleep, speedstep, audio (digital as well), feeling pretty good about it now!

I can't decide whether this will be my final working OS, it's on a 64GB SSD which might not be enough capacity for app support files in the future, but I've backed it up with superduper for now.

thanks humph, Lnx2mac, and everyone who posted - and of course tonymac

:thumbup:

Things I can suggest for others who are thinking about a build:

avoid using older stuff- I used a first gen SATA DVD burner that was a nightmare, would only be recognized as an IDE device - swapped it out for a new one and the install process went smoothly.

research what other have built, and try to get the exact same parts - vendor approved parts are a good start, but check to see if the combination of parts is working in the wild wild world of hackintosh.

once you make your purchases, work fast - the clock starts ticking on your return window as soon as you pay for it, if you wait too long and discover bad or incompatible hardware you don't want too be stuck with things that don't work.

this is just my experience as a relative newb, of course YMMV depending on how advanced your building/tweaking skills are. :geek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back