1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Hey guys, this is my g5 FULL ATX mod. I have had it for about 3 or 4 months. However, i haven't been working on it solid for this entire time. It's finally complete, well almost. I wanted to keep it "stock" looking as much as possible.

So first i gutted the case.001.JPG only one picture since you already know what it looks like!

First i took the case apart and installed my own sata power cables and sata data cables. I can now have 4 hdd. Supports sata III, just my motherboard doesn't...
0033.jpg

I then went about making a template for the fake side panel i was putting in. All credit goes to mr bean over on hardforums, i saw his and fell inlove, with the early design anyway.
001 (2).JPG

And here it is. Nice and grubby with my finger prints! Mounted to the original untouched g5 standoffs.
006 (2).JPG
0072.jpg

Then made the fan hookups. Drive Bay, both fans operational at a fixed 5v.
008.jpg

I used header pins that i had pulled out of a dead motherboard.
007.jpg

Work so far, Power cables and fan power cables.
0053.jpg

Motherboard installed using standard standoffs screwed to my fake side panel.
0063.jpg

Holes for motherboard cables, mainly power and sata lines.
0035.jpg

Power supply, out of case and screwed down using the original holes in the bottom of the case.
013.jpg

Graphics card would be right be hind the fan, luckily it had a vga extension cable which just reached the first pci slot.
010.jpg

I was trying to firgure out how to let the graphics card sit in the pci slot properly because the front plate props it up a bit, but then i realised it can be removed!
0025.jpg

My old divider, I made a newer one that had flaps to help support it instead of using extra brackets to hold it in.
0034.jpg

0014.jpg

I am super pleased with this.
0016.jpg

It all fits(just) with the air deflector.
0045.jpg

The new floor, covering the power supply.
0054.jpg

Out of the case.
0044.jpg

Unfortunately, i had made the floor with power in cover, before i had made a bracket to hold the power socket in place, so i had to make a new larger one, I'm not best pleased with this, the older one was much nicer looking. But it can barely be seen so it shall do. And I've just realised the rear fan mount wont fit in against this new cover. Look how high it is sitting. This is really annoying!
SAM_2042.jpg

All cables nicely routed behind the side panel. Every cable i could find was braided or heatshrinked(is that even a word)
SAM_2040.jpg

SAM_2038.jpg

The G5 i bought had previously been in an art college, so it had a security label. (I now know why they deter theives!!!!) Anyway, the previous owner had had their own shot at getting it off and made a right mess, and to be honest i wasn't much better but this is the result.
SAM_2037.jpg

SAM_2036.jpg

As i plan to sell i installed a tact switch. Here is it leaving the disk drive itself.
SAM_2044.jpg

And the other end.
0046.jpg

SAM_2045.jpg

Front panel cable.
SAM_2043.jpg

Link to the full photobucket album(http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff3 ... 1QQtppZZ16).

I'll make sure and take some pictures once its fully complete!

Next on my list is
1. Turn a macbook into a mini desktop for my little brother. Only major issue i can think of would be how to get the slot loading dvd drive to sit flush against the front of the case and stay straight. And possible the rear I/O just making it look nice.

2. Put a mini itx board into a G4 dome iMac. Either trying to reuse the screen or buy a new one and fit it into the g4s housing.

3. Using a mini itx board try and make a mac mini look a like. Issues being, I can't think of how to fix the aluminium in the correct shape. The real minis are one continuous piece like they've been extruded. The dimensions would obviously be a bit larger than the real mini but its just meant to be a look a like.

4. Another g5.
5. A g4.
6. Possibly fabricate my own custom case and start from there.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,572
  • 001 (2).JPG
    001 (2).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,530
  • 006 (2).JPG
    006 (2).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,517
:headbang:

Awesome work Gus!!!!
I like how you have it all clean in there with the panel on the side and bottom!!
Nice man really really nice!
Now I am looking forward for your next mod!

Thanks eelhead. Just need to get it finished! I keep on seeing things i need to fix before selling. Its a nightmare. But overall i am very happy with it.

Gus said:
Thanks eelhead. Just need to get it finished! I keep on seeing things i need to fix before selling. Its a nightmare. But overall i am very happy with it.
I'm totally the same way with mine. I think I might be just about buttoned up with mine though. I do know what not to do for the next time!

Bones123 i wasn't going to put on in and just run a java script or hotkeys to make the drive eject whilst in windows, but as im selling i thought i best should.
Anyway, heres the new divider and new tact switch i changed it a bit and also added a header interface. So disk drive can be removed without having to peel the tact switch off!

0102.jpg

0092.jpg

0084.jpg

0055.jpg

0047.jpg

0018.jpg

0038.jpg

Hiya Gus!
You have more then enough room to affix your breadboard to to inside of the case. You can use one of the very first holes in the front grill as they start on the top.

No eelhead, the way i had it before it was a solid wire between the disk drive and the tact switch, so with the header idea i can remove the disk drive without having to worry about the tact switch still being attached.

Gus said:
No eelhead, the way i had it before it was a solid wire between the disk drive and the tact switch, so with the header idea i can remove the disk drive without having to worry about the tact switch still being attached.
Oh, Like I do lol. Mine is a solid wire, should of done the header thing like you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back