Contribute
Register

G5 Power Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
People often just replace the fan unit and keep the mounting. This is a very good option if you are trying to keep the vanilla internal look.
Ok,i got the idea.I guess i will test them,and if noise it's more than i can accept,i will switch with new fans...i'll paint them so they look more genuine :D

Hey Gus ,here i am,as promised :D
I managed to make PW button,PW LED and USB work(i have no FW).The only way PW button and PW LED work is by linking the PW LED (-) on mb to pin n.2 on G5 cable (V-Ground FW).Is this correct,or am i risking something?My system is ON now,if i press the PW button,goes to sleep,LED goes off,it doesn't blink;pressing the power button again,my system wakes up,LED goes on.Seems ok,just wanna be sure.
I'm having issues with frontal Audio,i can't make it work... I'll post my frontal audio diagram below,maybe you can help me figure this out :) Keep in mind that i don't use the Audio cable,but i'm linking pins one by one,with those cables i bought.
front panel audio.png
I haven't worked at fans yet,but that should not be to complicated,as you already explained very well how to make them work...in fact,since you say that even at 5 volts, the original fans are very noisy,i'm searching replacements for frontal fans and HDD fans,i want to keep the rear fans though (or should i just replace those too? )
Anyway,thanks for any kind of help you're giving me!
//L.E. : just tested frontal fans .damn you're right,they really make some rumor...i tested them at 12V too,just for curiosity...OMG...they almost blown me away!

Attachments

• front panel audio.png
    front panel audio.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 438
alex_tzardea said:
Hey Gus ,here i am,as promised :D
I managed to make PW button,PW LED and USB work(i have no FW).The only way PW button and PW LED work is by linking the PW LED (-) on mb to pin n.2 on G5 cable (V-Ground FW).Is this correct,or am i risking something?My system is ON now,if i press the PW button,goes to sleep,LED goes off,it doesn't blink;pressing the power button again,my system wakes up,LED goes on.Seems ok,just wanna be sure.
I'm having issues with frontal Audio,i can't make it work... I'll post my frontal audio diagram below,maybe you can help me figure this out :) Keep in mind that i don't use the Audio cable,but i'm linking pins one by one,with those cables i bought.
front panel audio.png
I haven't worked at fans yet,but that should not be to complicated,as you already explained very well how to make them work...in fact,since you say that even at 5 volts, the original fans are very noisy,i'm searching replacements for frontal fans and HDD fans,i want to keep the rear fans though (or should i just replace those too? )
Anyway,thanks for any kind of help you're giving me!
//L.E. : just tested frontal fans .damn you're right,they really make some rumor...i tested them at 12V too,just for curiosity...OMG...they almost blown me away!

So at present front panel audio doesn't work.
Unless you manually switch to front audio in OSX, there is no front panel jack detection because of the different ways in which the circuit works. Normal computers work by closing a circuit when a jack is plugged into the front panel, whereas the G5 front panel works in the opposite way. Try seeing if you can manually change it.
If not try:-
1, Connecting pin 10 to pin 7 on the Front Audio header.
2, Connecting pin 4 to pin 2 on the Front Audio header.
3, Doing 1 + 2
4, Doing 1 plus Connecting pin 4 to pin 2 through a 100ohm resistor.
That should allow you to manually select which audio out source to use in OSX.
It works by making the MOBO think there is always a front jack plugged in. But in OSX you can override this and make it output the rear anyway.

Your pin out for the front audio header is slightly off. I would stick with this one.
Notice that pin 6 and pin 10 are actually sense returns, not just simple grounds.
(well maybe they are but it needs to be known that they are in fact sense returns for front mic and front headphones, line 1 and line 2.)

Gus - Ignore my earlier post. I've been living in a time warp - saw the date at the start of the thread and read it as 2012!!!! Must have had a good long jubilee weekend. Oh well....back to the nursing home for me.

minihack said:
Gus - Ignore my earlier post. I've been living in a time warp - saw the date at the start of the thread and read it as 2012!!!! Must have had a good long jubilee weekend. Oh well....back to the nursing home for me.
I was slightly confused mini. But yes. Or the shed for somemore hacks? Probably more fun for everyone there.

Gus said:
minihack said:
I was slightly confused mini. But yes. Or the shed for somemore hacks? Probably more fun for everyone there.

:oops: :lolno:

It's probably the fault of me spending too much time in the shed - those acrylic fumes......

Must admit I am up to my neck in different projects right now. Not complaining, it is a good thing and I do have some nice new takes on some stuff coming along. Gonna be dipping my toes into Ivy Bridge and (shock horror) doing something that isn't on a gigabyte board - I fancy some DSDT from first principles action.

minihack said:
:oops: :lolno:

It's probably the fault of me spending too much time in the shed - those acrylic fumes......

Must admit I am up to my neck in different hack projects right now. Not complaining, it is a good thing and I do have some nice new takes on some stuff coming along. Gonna be dipping my toes into Ivy Bridge and (shock horror) doing something that isn't on a gigabyte board - I fancy some DSDT from first principles action.
Good. New stuff is always interesting. And yeah I have never really touched the software side. I want too...just there is sooooo much reading to do and where does one even start!

Gus said:

Must admit I am up to my neck in different hack projects right now. Not complaining, it is a good thing and I do have some nice new takes on some stuff coming along.

OK, so I've finally come to ask for help. I've done one Hackintosh, but it hasn't been stable enough for me.

So I want to do another concentrating on "beauty" and "serenity." That means stability. I have two g5 PowerMacs that I bought over the last few years and they have developed the dread "Capacitor Problem." It will cost umpty-umph dollars to replace the motherboard and when done it will just be a matter of time before it fails again. Enough about that. Last night I got trapped here and spent the most enjoyable evening reading about inserting quad-core motherboards in the MacPro cases. This morning I called http://www.mountainmods.com/mountain-mo ... -p-56.html and ordered the first motherboard tray and fan guards for the back of the case.

So now I have a few questions.

1) should I rush to buy the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H board on this the last day it is on sale? It has bad reviews and great reviews but there is supposed to be an identical Intel version. What is that all about? Well, my confusion about the mixed reviews and the fact that Amazon had about seven "used" boards for at least twenty dollars cheaper than the sale price makes me believe the poor reviews so I skipped this one.

2) From eelhead's G5 mod
eelhead's G5 Mod said:
So while I was in the middle of making mine I was offered a chance to test one for Gus on here. He started to sell them for a stint but has stopped I do believe. Which sucks because the cable is awesome quality!! I can’t speak highly enough for Gus’ workmanship and if he starts selling them again and I hear I will let everybody know!!

I could sure use two sets of these cables. Is there any chance?

3) Everybody seems to be jumping through huge hoops to replace the Apple power supply with a PC version. Is that because the Apple Power Supply doesn't put out enough Wattage? Because it would sure be a lot easier to merely wire up an adapter cable than what some of these mods do. Or even just attaching an external cable to http://www.amazon.com/500W-Magnum-LCD-M ... r-mr-title I'm pretty sure that I've seen 500 Watt units for sale and that seems to be what people are doing all the serious stuff to obtain.

4) I can understand the Elegance involved in using the Apple disc drive holders, but there seems to be a lot of activity in the various versions of http://www.amazon.com/KingWin-Multi-Bay ... +drive+bay and it looks like it would be fairly trivial to hang that inside, and then you could put a bunch of disk space inside without having to wait for thunderbolt. And changing OSes would be trivial. (I'm kind of curious about that Mac-Ubuntu I read about last night.)

5) This exercise is going to make me spin off a PC-Clone because I have to clean up a bunch of junk to find space to work.

6) I keep noodling around in my head about making a mini-mac cluster. Has anyone done that yet? It should be trivial. The problem is in finding someone with a few Mac-minis lying around. This getting old comes with no Job, no money, and no toys... Whatever you do, don't ever grow up. Because after you grow up comes growing old.

Foolishness said:
OK, so I've finally come to ask for help. I've done one Hackintosh, but it hasn't been stable enough for me.

So I want to do another concentrating on "beauty" and "serenity." That means stability. I have two g5 PowerMacs that I bought over the last few years and they have developed the dread "Capacitor Problem." It will cost umpty-umph dollars to replace the motherboard and when done it will just be a matter of time before it fails again. Enough about that. Last night I got trapped here and spent the most enjoyable evening reading about inserting quad-core motherboards in the MacPro cases. This morning I called http://www.mountainmods.com/mountain-mo ... -p-56.html and ordered the first motherboard tray and fan guards for the back of the case.

Yeah, I got a g5 that had that. Total pain, thought I'd got a perfectly working g5...but no.
So now I have a few questions.

1) should I rush to buy the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H board on this the last day it is on sale? It has bad reviews and great reviews but there is supposed to be an identical Intel version. What is that all about? Well, my confusion about the mixed reviews and the fact that Amazon had about seven "used" boards for at least twenty dollars cheaper than the sale price makes me believe the poor reviews so I skipped this one.

Read the User Builds Thread. Shows you all the combinations of motherboards and cpu ect that users have got working and how they got it working. Obviously search for the motherboard you want.
2) From eelhead's G5 mod
eelhead's G5 Mod said:
So while I was in the middle of making mine I was offered a chance to test one for Gus on here. He started to sell them for a stint but has stopped I do believe. Which sucks because the cable is awesome quality!! I can’t speak highly enough for Gus’ workmanship and if he starts selling them again and I hear I will let everybody know!!

I could sure use two sets of these cables. Is there any chance?

Unfortunately I stopped making them. There are two people on IM who make them. But they charge far to much and it's sooo easy. I'm sure you could manage it just fine. Just ask and everyone will be happy to chip in.
3) Everybody seems to be jumping through huge hoops to replace the Apple power supply with a PC version. Is that because the Apple Power Supply doesn't put out enough Wattage? Because it would sure be a lot easier to merely wire up an adapter cable than what some of these mods do. Or even just attaching an external cable to http://www.amazon.com/500W-Magnum-LCD-M ... r-mr-title I'm pretty sure that I've seen 500 Watt units for sale and that seems to be what people are doing all the serious stuff to obtain.
I put my PSU inside the apple PSU housing. Just makes for a neater mod(IMO) but you could mount it on the top tray where the HDDs are at present.
There is no way to wire the original G5 PSU into ATX standards. If it is a powerful G5 PSU I would suggest selling it and buying a dead or lower wattage one.

4) I can understand the Elegance involved in using the Apple disc drive holders, but there seems to be a lot of activity in the various versions of http://www.amazon.com/KingWin-Multi-Bay ... +drive+bay and it looks like it would be fairly trivial to hang that inside, and then you could put a bunch of disk space inside without having to wait for thunderbolt. And changing OSes would be trivial. (I'm kind of curious about that Mac-Ubuntu I read about last night.)
Personal preference. I liked the idea of reusing them. Some need lots of drives so add in a larger HDD rack.
5) This exercise is going to make me spin off a PC-Clone because I have to clean up a bunch of junk to find space to work.
I don;t understand. Do you mean just build a pc from all the parts you currently have?
6) I keep noodling around in my head about making a mini-mac cluster. Has anyone done that yet? It should be trivial. The problem is in finding someone with a few Mac-minis lying around. This getting old comes with no Job, no money, and no toys... Whatever you do, don't ever grow up. Because after you grow up comes growing old.
There is a man who made a hackintosh cluster in a filing cabinet. Was pretty sweet. Used mini ITX boards. I think it was in the customisation section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back