Contribute
Register

G5 Power Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foolishness said:
4) I can understand the Elegance involved in using the Apple disc drive holders, but there seems to be a lot of activity in the various versions of http://www.amazon.com/KingWin-Multi-Bay ... +drive+bay and it looks like it would be fairly trivial to hang that inside, and then you could put a bunch of disk space inside without having to wait for thunderbolt. And changing OSes would be trivial. (I'm kind of curious about that Mac-Ubuntu I read about last night.)

And here it is. 6 inches long so they can be put inside the MacPro case facing towards the side that comes off. I suspect you can put a lot of them in there. http://www.amazon.com/KingWin-Multi-Fun ... =KF-253-BK

Here's the unit for four 2.5 inch drives. http://www.amazon.com/KingWin-2-5-Inch- ... 89&sr=1-54

gus said:
Personal preference. I liked the idea of reusing them. Some need lots of drives so add in a larger HDD rack.

Foolishness said:
5) This exercise is going to make me spin off a PC-Clone because I have to clean up a bunch of junk to find space to work.
gus said:
I don't understand. Do you mean just build a pc from all the parts you currently have?
Yes. I used to have a nine PC Linux cluster, but we never could figure out what it was good for other than bragging about it. It was made of all the obsolete Pcs we had lying around and they are still here even though we disconnected it long ago. Some of the parts are so old they were on eight-bit machines. (That is probably an exaggeration, Though I do have an eight bit machine that we made to control about six 35mm Slide Projectors.)

Not a problem. Front panel pinout is this.
I think I actually had all fans running at 5V in the end. Even at 5V they were still SOOO NOISY.
Personally I would not recommend using them. However, for the short term they maybe an easy and fast solution. So as you can see in these photos. The fans have 2 +V inputs, a ground and a tachometer. The "correct" pinout would be +12V, tachometer, ground, +5V. Or maybe the Voltages were the other way around. Anyway. You need to have +V going to both the power in lines. Which for the hdd bay fans is pin 1 and 4 on both. Then pin 3 is ground. As you can see in this photo. Arranged so the polarizing connecters are facing up and with the wire side facing away from your body.
008.jpg

For the center fans I used the quick disconnect plug on the central divider. And on this fan. (connecter orientated the same way) Pin 1,4,5 are all +V. Pin 2 is tachometer. Pin 3 is ground.
007.jpg

With the rear exhaust fans I actually only used 1 fan and just rewired it to run from a standard motherboard header. However, I believe that somewhere I have a document uploaded by another user which has all the fan pinouts.I'll get it for you later.
There are the pinouts. Obviously set voltage accordingly.

Hello Gus,
Just wonder if you can teach me how to power up this guy. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 214
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back