Contribute
Register

G5 Front Panel Quick Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mr, I build 2 in the past week, but I can't make the USB and FW work, carefully I wire each PC connection with each 18 pin MAC panel but nothing, can I missed some important advice, or something, is very weird both not working, thanks in advance.

Does anybody have experience with the motherboard terminal housings and pins from FrozenCPU? I ordered a bunch to make a custom cable for my G5. My first attempt I just used extra old headers I had laying around and soldered/spliced the wires, but it looks like crap. o_O
I was going to make some with new wire so there aren't solder joints but the pins that came with the FrozenCPU are quite a bit smaller than the oem ones and I can't seem to get them to lock into the housing.
I don't know if the wire I'm using is part of the problem. I got some 22ga stranded from Radio Shack (that places is quite a disappointment anymore) but it was too big, the little locking tabs wouldn't reach around the insulation. So I used some solid phone wire. It's a little to small, but I managed to get the pins crimped on they just won't stay in.

Also does anyone know of a source for pins for the G5 header housing? Like I said I would like to have 1 piece wires. The pins from Frozen CPU almost seem like they will work... they stay in it way better than the ones they were supposedly made for anyway.

Does anybody have experience with the motherboard terminal housings and pins from FrozenCPU? I ordered a bunch to make a custom cable for my G5. My first attempt I just used extra old headers I had laying around and soldered/spliced the wires, but it looks like crap. o_O
I was going to make some with new wire so there aren't solder joints but the pins that came with the FrozenCPU are quite a bit smaller than the oem ones and I can't seem to get them to lock into the housing.
I don't know if the wire I'm using is part of the problem. I got some 22ga stranded from Radio Shack (that places is quite a disappointment anymore) but it was too big, the little locking tabs wouldn't reach around the insulation. So I used some solid phone wire. It's a little to small, but I managed to get the pins crimped on they just won't stay in.

Also does anyone know of a source for pins for the G5 header housing? Like I said I would like to have 1 piece wires. The pins from Frozen CPU almost seem like they will work... they stay in it way better than the ones they were supposedly made for anyway.

I used the wires from http://www.pololu.com
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/67 the female to female ones

Hi Mr, I build 2 in the past week, but I can't make the USB and FW work, carefully I wire each PC connection with each 18 pin MAC panel but nothing, can I missed some important advice, or something, is very weird both not working, thanks in advance.

Are you making sure your grounds are done up correct?

yes, the diagram is very clear, the usb and fw shield ground and the 2 fw ground, etc, everything appear as ok, I really don't know what happened.

BTW besides pololu web page do you know another site selling the short pin like the 18 pin, because as you must know is shorter than the others.

Correct me if I'm wrong, in FW the number 1 wire with 7 & 8 toguether, 2 with 3 & 4 and of course 5 with 10.

Here's what I'm gonna do, let me know if I'm screwing up lol:

1. I'm going to buy twenty, 24" pre-crimped female to female cables (4x packs of 5): Link 1 below
2. Getting 1-Pin, 5-Pin, and 10-pin crimp connectors (1 pack of each): Link 2 below
3. Violently decapitating the head of the 18 pin snake (although carefully to make sure I keep track of the pin functions)
4. Solder the newly cut ends of the 18 pin snake onto the pre-crimped female ends??
5. Do a real world MultiBeast in real life to get that front I/O working! aka Plug in into motherboard and dance

I need to confirm if these steps are correct, Particularly number 4? Thanks Eel for sharing this

Links:
1. http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/72
2. http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/70

Sounds about right to me. If you get wires mixed up you can always pull the pin out of the header body and swap them around. I would just attach all of your lead wires to the G5 body and then put the other ends in the correct spot last.

Sounds about right to me. If you get wires mixed up you can always pull the pin out of the header body and swap them around. I would just attach all of your lead wires to the G5 body and then put the other ends in the correct spot last.

You threw me off just a tad. Do you mean to say I can go directly from the G5 case's I/O component to the mobo input with wires?
By headers do you mean the 18 pin cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back